+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Help with new regimen

I'm hoping someone can help me start a regimen to combat some hair thinning and a receding hairline.

I'm 22 years old and have noticed that within the past year or so my hair has started to thin, and it's been harder to have my bangs cover the length of my forehead.

I paid a visit to the dermatologist yesterday who recommended I start Propecia, but she told me the prescription she would write for me would cost $260 for a 3-month supply, something I simply cannot afford on a student's budget. I did some research and saw that Wal-Mart has Finasteride for $9 for a 30-day supply, which seems like a great price. I think I will ask the dermatologist about prescribing this.

I'd also like to add a regrowth product to my regimen and am thinking about a 5% Minoxidil solution... can anyone recommend a certain product and possibly provide a link to a cheap but reliable source?

Finally, I planned to purchase a bottle of the Nizoral Shampoo. I have dandruff, so this will be even more helpful. The Inhouse pharmacy has a 2% solution found here: http://www.inhousepharmacy.biz/p-283...oconazole.aspx

Does this seem reasonably priced? Would a 1% solution be better to start with?

Sorry for the long post, but any help someone can provide would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by naveehgreen View Post
    I'm hoping someone can help me start a regimen to combat some hair thinning and a receding hairline.

I'm 22 years old and have noticed that within the past year or so my hair has started to thin, and it's been harder to have my bangs cover the length of my forehead.

I paid a visit to the dermatologist yesterday who recommended I start Propecia, but she told me the prescription she would write for me would cost $260 for a 3-month supply, something I simply cannot afford on a student's budget. I did some research and saw that Wal-Mart has Finasteride for $9 for a 30-day supply, which seems like a great price. I think I will ask the dermatologist about prescribing this.

I'd also like to add a regrowth product to my regimen and am thinking about a 5% Minoxidil solution... can anyone recommend a certain product and possibly provide a link to a cheap but reliable source?

Finally, I planned to purchase a bottle of the Nizoral Shampoo. I have dandruff, so this will be even more helpful. The Inhouse pharmacy has a 2% solution found here: http://www.inhousepharmacy.biz/p-283...oconazole.aspx

Does this seem reasonably priced? Would a 1% solution be better to start with?

Sorry for the long post, but any help someone can provide would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.
    Go with the generic Proscar from Walmart. I get mine from Target and from my experience it's legit and works well. While you're at Walmart you can pick up some Equate minoxidil, they have it in a foam solution now. It's a few dollars cheaper than Rogaine foam. Walmart also sells the 1% Nizoral shampoo. I'd go with that instead of the 2% from inhouse; you don't need prescription-strength ketoconazole and by going to Walmart you'll know what you're buying is legit...something that can't be guaranteed when you buy from online pharmacies.

This regimen is the same one I'm on (except I'm also taking 5mg biotin...not sure it's helping but I use it anyways). I've only been on it for 2 months and 3 weeks, but I can say that my shedding has already stopped DEAD and I have a tiny bit of regrowth on my hairline. I can't say this will happen for you, but it's possible.

Good luck! Feel free to ask more questions if you have any.

Hi TheNitwon,

Many men save a lot of money by buying generic 5mg Finasteride and splitting the pills into four pieces. This would make that $9.00 30-day supply from Walmart last you 120 days.

Walmart also sells their own Equate brand of Minoxidil. Walmart currently also sells generic Equate brand generic Minoxidil foam. The foam is way better than the liquid. I am currently using men's Rogaine foam for my morning dose but plan to try Walmart's generic foam when my supply runs out. I will continue to use liquid Minoxidil for my evening dose to save money though. When you start using Minoxidil, focus your application on your mid-anterior and vertex and taper up to the twice a day dose over time. If you don't know what that means, feel free to ask.

You do not need to buy Nizoral from the internet grey market. You can use the 1%, which is available at Walmart. Or ask your dermatologist for a legitimate script. I use the 1% Nizoral A-D myself twice a week in place of my regular shampoo - and I usually buy it at Walmart.

It would also be a good idea to switch to sulfate free shampoo and conditioner for your daily washing. Aveeno now has a sulfate free shampoo and conditioner available - and yes, you can buy it at Walmart.

Make sure you stick with your regimen for at least 12 full months before trying to assess if it is doing any good. Take good quality pictures of your head when you start. Then take pictures again after six months, then again after 12 months.

Take care and good luck,

Tracy

Thank you both for your help.

Tracy C, I looked online to see where exactly the mid-anterior and vertex are and now know. What about my hairline? I think I'm an NW2 and am hoping to stop hair loss and possibly regrow hair near the temples (I guess it would be the sides of the mid-anterior). Should I use the minoxidil in that area, as well? If not, is there something else I can do for those areas?

Thank you again.

Hi naveehgreen,

Norwood 2 is not always a precurser for balding. Oftentimes it is just an adult masculine hairline and nothing more. It is completely natural and normal for caucasion males to loose their temple hair. This is one of the features that differs between males and females like a deeper voice, bigger hands, bigger feet etc. I am not sure if there is anything a male can do short of castration that can prevent an adult mature male hairline from developing.

If all you've got going on is a Norwood 2 and you have no thinning in your vertex or mid-anterior, Minoxidl is not appropriate for you. If however you have a family history of baldness, you might benefit from Propecia or generic Finasteride but you need to talk that over with your doctor.

Either way, it certainly shouldn't hurt to use Nizoral A-D once or twice a week in place of your regular shampoo - and switch to sulfate free shampoo and conditioner for your daily washing.

I know this isn't the answer you want to hear but it is the truth. You are changing from a boyish hairline to a manly hair line. That is simply part of becoming a man. It just is what it is.

Take care,

Tracy

Hi Tracy,

Sorry.. I should have been clearer. In addition to the receding hairline, I am seeing noticeably thinner hair in the mid-anterior and vertex. I also have a family history of MPB (my dad lost a lot of his hair in his mid-twenties, and both my grandfathers were bald by their 50s).

My dermatologist recommended Propecia, but the name brand pills were outrageously expensive. I'm not sure if she'll prescribe me finasteride 5mg to split into 4 pills, but I will ask her this week.

I guess my question should have been: is there anything I can do in addition to the finasteride and minoxidil about the receding hairline, or is it just something I should expect as I age? It looks weird to me having bangs in the middle of my forehead but shorter to nonexistent ones on the sides.

Thanks!

I guess my question should have been: is there anything I can do in addition to the finasteride and minoxidil about the receding hairline, or is it just something I should expect as I age?
    Again, short of castration, I do not believe there is anything a male can do to prevent developing an adult mature male hairline. This is something that isn't really a problem for a male - because it is a typical male trait - but it would be a problem for a female.

Since you say you do have thinning in your vertex and mid-anterior - and you have a family history of baldness, focus your application of Minoxidil on your vertex and mid-anterior. You can dry the medicine off your fingertips in your temples if you want to - just in case it might make a difference - but don't expect it to.

When you start using Minoxidil, taper up to the full twice a day dose over time. Start with the foam and use it once a day every other day about two hours before your bedtime. After two to four weeks of that, use it once a day every day. After two to four weeks of that, start using it twice a day every other day and once a day every other day. Then finally after two to four weeks of that, start using it twice a day every day. Once you are up to the full twice a day dose, you can save money by using generic liquid Minoxidil for your evening dose. If for any reason you decide to stop using Minoxidil, taper off of it the same way in reverse.

Once you start seeing hair grow from using Minoxidil, it will look like peach fuzz in the begining, consider getting a laser comb and use it every other day.

It looks weird to me having bangs in the middle of my forehead but shorter to nonexistent ones on the sides.
    That is actually normal for an adult male. There is nothing weird about it at all. Now if you were female, it would be a different story.

Thanks for your help, Tracy. I called my dermatologist today to ask for a prescription for generic finasteride, and her office said they don't prescribe that for MPB. Should the next step be to just start calling derm offices asking if they prescribe generic finasteride for MPB? Otherwise, I was thinking I could order it online.

I called about three more offices in my area, and all of them said they refuse to prescribe generic Proscar (Finasteride 5mg) for MPB.

I am guessing that you would need to talk to the doctor directly.