Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisis
    • Feb 2012

Originally posted by the_charger
    It seems like some people actually want to scare everyone so they will come off propecia, even though you arent having a single problem with it. It almost makes me think these people are more jealous that other people can tolerate it well, rather than legitimately feeling concerned for your welfare.
    This is an absurd and rude remark.

I have 2 main purposes in discussing finasteride on this site:

1) To learn how I can overcome these side effects
    2) To help others make informed decisions about taking the drug

I am certainly not jealous and am not trying to scare anyone. If my words scare anyone, then perhaps that is simply a valid response to something I'm discussing honestly and openly.

I have not even recommended that Cyberdyne come off Propecia, I simply suggested he wean off it if he does.

Comment

• Davey Jones
      • Apr 2012

I, personally, am glad that there are people who got shafted real' hard by this drug that are willing to share their story. I looked into Propecia years ago and wasn't really told how bad it could get by people involved with the drug. Had to find that out from victims.

I know it is very rare, but I don't care. I want told about that possibility so I can make a decision based on what I think is a good benefit to risk ratio. Why exactly are there folks complaining that people are sharing their stories?

Personally, from what all I know about DHT now, I'd much sooner supplement with a derivative of DHT than try to eliminate it. (Shhh, I have done that. It's awesome.) And I think it's crazy to not at least consider doing that. So obviously, people have different priorities in life. If you don't care about the rare noticeable effects and the probability that you just are weaker, fine. But other people have the right to make their own decision and ideally will have all the information to do so. Quick complaining about information being made available and offer your point of view.

My point of view: I loved having hair, but from my experience, DHT is one of my all time favorite hormones. I'm waiting for an actual cure, not something that is basically just trading conditions.

Comment

• gutted
        • Jan 2011

propecia is a very dangerous drug, this needs to be looked at more closley. People are getting on the drug thinking if they get no sides while on the drug, they are blessed but this is not the case.

when the time comes and they want to get off the drug after long term use...its like any other drug...cocaine, heroine etc the body becomes dependant on it.

Comment

• Cyberdyne
          • Jul 2009

^^ that is absolute rubbish mate, propecia is a suppressant, it does not 'add' anything to your body that may become dependant on

do you think women who take the contraceptive pill for a few years and then come off, can never have children?

anyway appreciate the responses here. yes i have been on it for 5 years, but to be honest, i cant really see any benefits to my hair. it continues to get thinner every year. it aint no wonder drug.

Comment

• Davey Jones
            • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Cyberdyne
            ^^ that is absolute rubbish mate, propecia is a suppressant, it does not 'add' anything to your body that may become dependant on
            Do you know how endocrine feedback loops work? That is a rhetorical question though, because you clearly don't. I don't mean to be rude by saying that, it's just surprising with how much assuredness people make claims related to this drug.

Why exactly is this such a heated topic for people with no side effects? I'd expect most of the craziness to come, understandably, from the few victims.

Comment

• clandestine
              • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Davey Jones
              My point of view: I loved having hair, but from my experience, DHT is one of my all time favorite hormones. I'm waiting for an actual cure, not something that is basically just trading conditions.
              Well said.

I take it you're into lifting?

Comment

• gutted
                • Jan 2011

do you think women who take the contraceptive pill for a few years and then come off, can never have children?

anyway appreciate the responses here. yes i have been on it for 5 years, but to be honest, i cant really see any benefits to my hair. it continues to get thinner every year. it aint no wonder drug.
                explain the issue of people coming off of fin and enjoying side effects and not recovering from them??

your losing hair because of the upregulation of testosterone...its the bodies way of trying to acheive homestasis to "normal", pre-finerstride androgen levels...and your not addressing the true cause of baldness.

should you choose to get off the drug in the future update this thread and let us know whether you experience sides once off it...i suspect a very large amount do.

Comment

• Cyberdyne
                  • Jul 2009

Originally posted by gutted
                  explain the issue of people coming off of fin and enjoying side effects and not recovering from them??

your losing hair because of the upregulation of testosterone...its the bodies way of trying to acheive homestasis to "normal", pre-finerstride androgen levels...and your not addressing the true cause of baldness.

should you choose to get off the drug in the future update this thread and let us know whether you experience sides once off it...i suspect a very large amount do.
                  i will be coming off it around mid year.
                  my reasons are that i am disappointed in the results, so why keep paying money every month. i will keep you guys updated. peace out.

Comment

• fab
                    • Mar 2012

i will be coming off it around mid year.
                    my reasons are that i am disappointed in the results, so why keep paying money every month. i will keep you guys updated. peace out.

Yeah, some people it just won't be as effective. Propecia doesn't prevent 100% of DHT. It only prevents up to 60%. Read here how it works: http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-a...treatments-men

Comment

• khan
                      • Aug 2011

you guys have me worried, I have been on Finasteride for about 5 years, havent noticed any side effects but now I am scared to come off the drug
                      Keep in mind there is a huge selection bias on internet forum. Just think of how many people take Propecia (you can get this figure from Merk's profit claims from Propecia, and this ignores atleast as many people on the generic version). Now compare that to how many people are on these internet forums. This is only a very small sample of people that take Propecia.
                      The users that are more likely to visit internet forums are ones suffering from sides which is totally understandable. Thats how it works for most things in life, the people that protest the most are the one most effected. So keep that in mind.
                      Also if you do decide to quit, just to be on the safe side I would recommend a gradual approach over a peroid of 6 months. Like perhaps take it less frequently and than slowly stop it. That is if you really want to quit.

Comment

• fab
                        • Mar 2012

Originally posted by khan
                        Keep in mind there is a huge selection bias on internet forum. Just think of how many people take Propecia (you can get this figure from Merk's profit claims from Propecia, and this ignores atleast as many people on the generic version). Now compare that to how many people are on these internet forums. This is only a very small sample of people that take Propecia.
                        The users that are more likely to visit internet forums are ones suffering from sides which is totally understandable. Thats how it works for most things in life, the people that protest the most are the one most effected. So keep that in mind.
                        Also if you do decide to quit, just to be on the safe side I would recommend a gradual approach over a peroid of 6 Wmonths. Like perhaps take it less frequently and than slowly stop it. That is if you really want to quit.
                        It's true. I have taken it for 10 years and as I never had side effects, I didn't Ben know about forums like that.. Only after the side effects kicked in, about a year back. I think all this is very much relative and subjective to external conditions.

I remember that I "quit" Finasteride for about 3 months on my 7-8th year because I was waiting it to be delivered. I forgot to order when it was over and because I ordered overseas and had a problem in my order, I passed 3 months without taking it, and no problem!

Comment

• blakes33
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by khan
                          Also if you do decide to quit, just to be on the safe side I would recommend a gradual approach over a peroid of 6 months. Like perhaps take it less frequently and than slowly stop it. That is if you really want to quit.
                          Very true - sufferers SEEM like a small percentage right now. However, keep in mind that I was a well responder to the medicine. I took it for 14 years with no side effects. It was only after I quit, that I develop sides that have been persistent now for 9 months!!

I am afraid that there are other long-term great responders on propecia right now (with no side effects just like me) who are facing a terrible roll of the dice when they quit. My advice? Don't quit I'd you've been on it long term until more is known....

Comment

Working...