Baldness Drug May Cause Sexual Side Effects - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42
  1. #1
    Inactive
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    883

    Post Baldness Drug May Cause Sexual Side Effects

    Two Merck drugs -- one to treat hair loss in men, the other to treat an enlarged prostate gland -- will get revised labels warning of potential sexual side effects that can last even after patients stop taking the drugs, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said.

    Although a cause-and-effect relationship between the drugs and these side effects hasn't been established, case reports suggest there's a potential problem, the FDA said.

    http://health.usnews.com/health-news...de-effects-fda

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gmonasco View Post
    Two Merck drugs -- one to treat hair loss in men, the other to treat an enlarged prostate gland -- will get revised labels warning of potential sexual side effects that can last even after patients stop taking the drugs, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said.

    Although a cause-and-effect relationship between the drugs and these side effects hasn't been established, case reports suggest there's a potential problem, the FDA said.

    http://health.usnews.com/health-news...de-effects-fda

    Thats such a mixed reponse. On one hand they say this can happen, and then also say no causal relationship has been established? Whats with that?..Its safe but discuss with doctor? can they possibly be more ambiguous?

    I want to hear what Spencer has to say about this.

    I am a little relieved it didn't get banned as some posters were claiming was going to happen.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by khan View Post
    Thats such a mixed reponse. On one hand they say this can happen, and then also say no causal relationship has been established? Whats with that?..Its safe but discuss with doctor? can they possibly be more ambiguous?

    I want to hear what Spencer has to say about this.

    I am a little relieved it didn't get banned as some posters were claiming was going to happen.
    those people who are on propecia and think they are "side effect free" need to stop the drug...and only then will they see what happens!

    some people dont experince the sides because the body upregulates to produce more testosterone which does the same job as dht...so they dont get the sides.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gutted View Post
    those people who are on propecia and think they are "side effect free" need to stop the drug...and only then will they see what happens!

    some people dont experince the sides because the body upregulates to produce more testosterone which does the same job as dht...so they dont get the sides.
    So what are you proposing happens after the drug is stopped?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by khan View Post
    Whats with that?..
    It means they couldn't isolate and confirm that Finasteride alone caused the problem.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blakes33 View Post
    So what are you proposing happens after the drug is stopped?
    people think because they arent getting sides on it, they will never get sides on it but this is not the case... they will most likley be getting persistent sides once they stop it!

    BUT this is after years of use...1 whole year on propecia may be enough for some!

    i suspect this may be due to the high dosage used to treat baldness, it could easily be resolved if a smaller dosage was used, perhaps once a week or once every 3 days...its up to you to find the balance as everyone is different.

    there was a case on HLH site a year/or 2 ago where a user had took propecia for 10 years, and then recently stopped for for a year or two, and his hair remained intact and came to report this.

  7. #7
    Inactive
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    883

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by gutted View Post
    people think because they arent getting sides on it, they will never get sides on it but this is not the case... they will most likley be getting persistent sides once they stop it!
    So you're saying that (some) long-term finasteride users don't experience any persistent side effects while they're taking the drug, but they do once they stop?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gmonasco View Post
    So you're saying that (some) long-term finasteride users don't experience any persistent side effects while they're taking the drug, but they do once they stop?
    that is what i beleive.

    once the body is getting used to the fin, it starts to depend on it, and it cant function without it!

    again this is something that is never reported, because people on it assume they arent getting any of the major sides so stay on it forever...only to find out many years later they are getting these sides.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
    Posts
    1,257

    Default

    Mine were totally obvious. Within a few months my entire sexual health was totally compromised. There's no doubt in my mind that finasteride is a dangerous drug for some people.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    Mine were totally obvious. Within a few months my entire sexual health was totally compromised. There's no doubt in my mind that finasteride is a dangerous drug for some people.
    had you stayed on it for a few more months those sides would have dissappeared but doing its damage silently in the backround...

    this is what the vast majority of propecia users do...they ride out any of the initial sides and the sides fade away but little do they know when they stop the drug a few years down the line they have become dependant on it.

Similar Threads

  1. Rogaine and sexual side effects?
    By qh1026 in forum Hair Loss Treatments
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-28-2021, 09:34 AM
  2. Baldness drug Propecia 'risking men's sexual health' BBC news
    By aiyosh in forum Hair Loss Treatments
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-22-2011, 03:50 PM
  3. Who came up with Propecia having sexual side effects in the first place?
    By PatientlyWaiting in forum Men's Hair Loss: Start Your Own Topic
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-21-2011, 04:26 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-17-2011, 02:52 PM
  5. Propceia: How common are PERMENENT sexual side effects
    By Krangstein in forum Hair Loss Treatments
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-30-2010, 03:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

Review of ISHRS article on ethical practices
Yesterday 09:22 AM
Last Post By Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 09:22 AM
Sun Exposure after Hair Transplant
02-26-2009 03:36 PM
Last Post By zaidgg
Yesterday 01:01 AM
A family has hair restoration with Dr. Lindsey
02-02-2022 08:02 AM
Last Post By Rodneyy
12-04-2022 03:44 PM
What Young Patients Should Be Aware of Regarding Hair Restoration Surgery
02-01-2013 09:47 AM
by Billena
Last Post By tenny2
12-04-2022 10:56 AM