+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hair Loss Expert

Has anyone been to see Dr. James Feinberg in Chicago for hair loss? I was referred to him as the best hair loss doc in IL, but am reluctant because he charges $425 for the initial consultation. I called over there and his receptionist couldn't really tell me anything about what he offers his patients or what he does differently.

I'm already on Rogaine, FIN, and Nizoral. I would sure hate to go in there and hand $425 over just to find out that he can't do anything else.

Dr Konior is the best doctor in Chicago.

Dr Keller and Dr Panine I know are also good. I couldn't pass comment of Dr Feinberg, as I have never viewed any of his work.

Hi Daddio,

Personally, I think my hair restoration doctor (Dr. Haber) is the best hair restoration doctor. One of my girl friends went to Dr. Panine and she is very happy with what he was able to do for her.

How long have you been on Rogaine, Propecia and Nizoral? Has it been over a year yet?

Take care,

Tracy

Rogaine about 7 months with no result. Fin about 3 weeks. Niz about half bottles worth.

Hi Daddio,

Unfortunately it does take a long time - at least a full year just to find out if you can arrest your hair loss.

Can you tell me where you are on this chart, how long you have had that pattern and how old you are?

probably 3v. 29 years old. Most of the thinning is in the back, and it has rapidly come on in the past year or so.

Hello,

O.K., so you are actually in pretty good shape. It just takes time. Unfortunately there are no quick fixes. Even transplant surgery can take 12 to 18 months before you can see an appreciable cosmetic improvement. It is much too soon for you to be considering transplant surgery anyway. It is best to try treating hereditary hair loss with medications for at least 12 to 18 months before considering transplant surgery. Since the single most important medication for treating hereditary hair loss in males is Propecia, start your calander count from the day you started Propecia.

Stick with using Rogaine while you are trying Propecia. If you are not yet using the foam, start using that at least in the mornings. I use the foam in the mornings myself because it is stealthy. Then I use generic liquid Minoxidil in the evenings because it is less expensive.

Make sure you are not over using Nizoral. Nizoral is a great medicated shampoo that helps a lot of people - but over using Nizoral can dry out your hair and scalp and possibly even make hair loss worse. If you are using 2%, only use that once a week in place of your regular shampoo. If you are using the 1%, you can use that up to twice per week.

You might also be able to benefit from using a laser comb. If you decide to give it a try, use it every other day instead of three times per week as stated in the directions.

Since you are only a Norwood 3v, you can probably benefit a lot from using a quality hair loss concealer such as Dermmatch.

I hope this helps. Take care,

Tracy

Thanks, good advice. It's starting to really bug me and it seems to be getting worse.

How long should I stay on rogaine before I give up?

Hello,

Stay on Rogaine until you have been on Propecia for at least 12 full months. It might even be best to wait a full 18 months. Sometimes it takes longer for some people. Also, when using Rogaine by itself you are fighting a very steep uphill battle. Now that you are on Propecia, Rogaine has a much better chance of working for you and you will probably start seeing regrowth in about four to six months - as long as you use it consistantly. Focus your application of the medicine on your vertex and mid-anterior. When the hair starts to grow back, it will be very downy and look like baby hair. Over time and hair cycles those regrown downy hairs will slowly transform into normal hairs. Did I mention that this takes a long time?

If you do decide to give up on Rogaine, do not go off of it abruptly. Taper off of it a little bit at a time over several months. If you do not understand what I mean by that feel free to ask. The reason for tapering off is to try to avoid a really bad shed that can happen if you stop the medicine abruptly.

Anyways once you start seeing the downy baby hair, consider getting a laser comb and use it every other day. What the laser comb does is it increases the caliber of the hair that you have, it increases the strength of the hair that you have, it improves the quality of the hair that you have and it makes your hair grow faster. These effects combined make your hair look fuller and more youthful. These effects also improve the quality of the hair that grows back from using Rogaine.

I know how you feel when you say it bugs you. Trust me, I know. It is very emotionally painful. I mentioned giving Dermmatch a try before. Dermmatch doesn't do anything to treat your hair loss - but it helps conceal it and that helps you feel better about yourself.

Oh, one last thing. Take some good quality pictures of your problem area now and againe six months from now. Sometimes you cannot notice improvement because you see yourself every day. But if you see snapshots that are taken six months appart, you can see improvement that you didn't notice was happening.

Take care,

Tracy

Thanks again Tracy. I have a couple more questions.
    Is it okay to blow dry my hair shortly after using Rogaine? Typically I towel dry my hair when I get out of the shower. Then apply the rogaine, then about 5 minutes later blow dry it while I style it.

Also, Do I add the Dermmatch before or after blow drying/styling my hair?