+ Reply to Thread
    jholcollege11

Default Is Scalp Micropigmentation a Scam?

Hey everybody. I am starting this thread in hopes that someone may have info that I don't, and that maybe someone knows a person who has had smp done- and their good or bad experience. I am so back and forth on SMP. Everytime I think I have formed a solid opinion, I read something negative about the procedure that actually makes sense, so it obviously scares me. I have put down a deposit of about $1500 and am scheduled to have smp done in early May. I am 30, 31 next month, have taken finasteride and rogaine and use nioxin shampoo since age 24, and had completely lost hope when I learned from Bosley, on two different consultations, that I am not a candidate for FUE. I have been shaving my head with a 1/8 inch (1) guard for about two years, and like the look except for the fleshy areas. I just want a cleaner consistent coverage. I even started tanning my head by using tanning beds, thinking that this would help lessen the contrast of hair and scalp by creating a darker skin base. This helped a bit, but not much. So finally I ran across the Scalp Micropigmentation process about two months ago and BAM, I had hope again. I was certain that this was my answer so I immediately started emailing my photos to different clinics across the US. I decided on a place, gave my deposit, and now Im having second thoughts. I mean, the idea of this freedom from baldness is so appealing that I wanted to try it so bad. But I still have this thought that maybe I will regret this years, or even months, down the road. What if I have problems with the pigments migrating or bleeding or turning blue or green, and by that time my clinic is GONE? I know there is laser surgery, but that would be terrible. Are these businesses cashing in now before there is any proof that this doesnt work? No way to sugar-coat it so I'll just say it- The prices these places charge is freaking ROBBERY, and taking advantage at best. I dont doubt that. Also, There are so many unknowns about this procedure that there is no guide to go by. I really have not found many answers out there at all. Maybe they don't exist yet. Anyway Im rambling, but it is not too late for me to turn back, even at the risk of losing my $1500, so if anyone has something to share I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks all!

It is not a scam, insofar as you're fine with getting your head tatted up.

And yes, ink may very well change colour over time; this is realistic.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

I agree that the only known is the short term improvement. However there is a larger unknown which is the future. The inks do fade and change color with time. I suppose the better the ink the longer it remains unchanged. I would imagine SMP is similar to other tattoos that many who get them regret it at some point later in life.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

jholcollege11

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Glenn Charles View Post
    I agree that the only known is the short term improvement. However there is a larger unknown which is the future. The inks do fade and change color with time. I suppose the better the ink the longer it remains unchanged. I would imagine SMP is similar to other tattoos that many who get them regret it at some point later in life.
    In your opinion, after the initial smp procedure, would the touchup process (sometime down the road) be effective at maintaining color and definition? My concern is that tattooing over the same dots would make them bigger causing them to run together causing one big mess. And that is assuming that the technition takes the time to actually go over each of the thousands of dots again, as opposed to going in between them.

jholcollege11

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Glenn Charles View Post
    I am very skeptical of Hair Transplant Doctor's advice on Scalp Micropigmentation. I think these HT docs have an agenda in using scare tactics, attempts to make rare worse case scenarios seem the norm, and just doom and gloom talk in general. If SMP does in fact last, these HT docs stand to lose quite a bit of $$$$$$. If you notice that Dr Rassman of NHI is offering this, it should tell you that he sees the benefits and has gotten on board as opposed to speaking out against it. If in 10-15 years these SMP results do not turn blue/green or have any of the other negative effects that HT businesses really hope they will, Im sure these same HT docs that spoke so negatively about it will be offering smp as a hybrid solution along with FUE and Strip. I just see more negatives in HT's than I do in SMP. For example, if you get HT's you will have either a big ugly scar on back of your head, or holes on back of your head. This completely robs you of the option to buzz or shave your head. Also, I have never seen an after picture of a hair transplant procedure that looks good- they look AWFUL and unnatural with sickly little hairs that look like they simply dont belong up there. What's worse, this is an on-going process that racks up thousands of dollars for the HT clinics. How many people do you know that just have one procedure and they're done? It's Insanity- doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. If I'm wrong about HT results feel free to correct me or direct me to a legit photo gallery that has successful results.
    I know I asked for feedback, and thats what I got , and I appreciate it, but I think it is very important to look at people's agendas, especially in the hair loss community- b/c hairloss has been one of ,if not the most exploited industries along with skin acne products and aging creams. SMP may not give a person beautiful flowing locks, or hair that you can style with gel, but based on what Ive seen, NEITHER DO HAIR TRANSPLANTS. LOL.

Default Problems with SMP ( scalp micropigmentation ) and alterntive

Hi, Yes there are issues with SMP in the long term that need serious consideration if you are going to go ahead. Not all but some pigments will change colour in years to come. Nearly all SMP will blur/bleed in years to come and hence you loose the realistic hair follicle look from when first applied. Most of us in our 30's want a younger hair line, yet in future as we age we will want these hairlines to match our older age, with SMP the only way to achieve this is via laser removal. Although laser can remove SMP it can take up to a year of treatments, there is risk of scarring (meaning new pigment can not go into the scarred areas with ease and if it does it often looks different to the rest), there is a risk that dependant on the pigments used the laser can't remove the pigment (no laser technician will ever guarantee 100% removal) and of course it hurts. You may want to look at Tricopigmentation that tackle all the issues stated, gives the same results of SMP, is usually a cheaper in the long run and perfect for your concerns.

trying to sell us something are you?

Nope, it is not. But always be careful in choosing a clinic where you want your micropigmentation to be done. If you're in the US, you can check out Scalp International Hairlines. One of my friends tried this clinic in NY and the results turned out great.

this procedure is only for men who shave their heads so it covers up baldness & looks like a full head of hair that was shaved. unfortunately this is also advertised to be able to cover up thin hair/baldness in people who don't shave their heads. this is a complete lie
    & it does not as i had this done & it was a complete waste of money. it gave the thin areas of my scalp which is visible through the thin hair a slight tint like sun burn but the bald thin areas were still visable so don't fall for this line of bullshit...