Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ppxrare
    • Feb 2012

Nioxin shampoo or Nizoral???

Hi, I'm going to start taking kirkland minoxidil 5 percent solution and was wondering which shampoo would go best with it, Nioxin or Nizoral?

Nioxin claim that it thickens the hair and removes DHT from the scalp, Nizoral is only an anti-dandruff shampoo. Obviously removing as much DHT from the scalp is probably the best thing, but I read that kirkland minoxidil can increase dandruff a lot, so what should i do.

Can I buy the Nioxin shampoo, and for the dandruff use the inexpensive Head and Shoulders shampoo? and is the kirkland minoxidil a good choice ( Its much cheaper than Rogaine)
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by ppxrare

Nioxin claim that it thickens the hair and removes DHT from the scalp,
    yeah, anyone can claim anything... where is the proof?

Nizoral is only an anti-dandruff shampoo.
    nope, it contains ketoconazole which is PROVEN to help treating androgenic alopecia.

Comparative data suggest that there may be a significant action of KCZ upon the course of androgenic alopecia and that Malassezia spp. may play a role in the inflammatory reaction. The clinical significance of the results awaits further controlled study in a larger group of subjects.

Comment

• Tracy C
      • Sep 2011

Nizoral is only an anti-dandruff shampoo. Obviously removing as much DHT from the scalp is probably the best thing...
      There is absolutely no good legitimate evidence to show that Nioxin does anything meaningful to block DHT at the scalp.

The active ingredient of Nizoral is a mild anti-androgen that has been shown to be able to block DHT reception at the scalp. If you have hereditary hair loss and you know you have a dandruff problem, it makes the most sense to use Nizoral once a week in place of your regular shampoo.

Here is a link for you. Nizoral/Ketoconazole is the seventh medication from the top.

Comment

Working...