+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Working out and hair loss?

Working out, increased testosterone levels, increased DHT, more hair loss? Any guys on the forum who work out want to chime in?

Accelerates hair loss, doesn't?

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    Working out, increased testosterone levels, increased DHT, more hair loss? Any guys on the forum who work out want to chime in?

Accelerates hair loss, doesn't?
    no it doesn't.... if anything, it would probably REDUCE your free testosterone levels.

As long as you don't be a douche and use steroids or some crap, your hair won't be affected in a negative way...

Quote Originally Posted by 2020 View Post
    no it doesn't.... if anything, it would probably REDUCE your free testosterone levels.

As long as you don't be a douche and use steroids or some crap, your hair won't be affected in a negative way...
    What about diet? Would a weightlifter's diet in any way contribute?

honestly, from what i've read over the years, not only about the direct link between hairloss and DHT but also the relationship between increased test levels, i think that is a question only an endocrinologist who has looked at your hormone levels would be able to accurately gauge. some men have more test levels than others, just baseline, so if you have a specific baseline and you work out, your levels may or may not impact the levels of DHT your body produces (ie, enough to effect hair follicles). i compete in triathlons and while working out DOES raise your testosterone levels...any number of things do, from sexual activity to the way you manage your stress levels. again, its a person to person estimate. that being said, working out is so beneficial to a man that it would be a shame to neglect your overall health and well being for the sake of the fear of an unfounded belief that it might accelerate hairloss. workout, be happy. because personally, i would rather be bald and jacked like jason statham than have hair and look like justin bieber.

jholcollege11

Default testosterone boosters

Hey guys, I am 30, will be 31 next month. I like to excercise and lift weights but I think I may have low testosterone levels b/c I was looking over the symptoms online, and I definitely experience these: irritability, overall fatigue, loss of interest in things, inability to focus. I scheduled an appointment with my primary doc to get blood work and test my levels of testosterone, but does anyone know if the supplements or meds they give to men with low test levels can cause more DHT to form causing more hairloss? Anyone have experience with this?

With regards to your question Clandestine, I've been wondering about that issue a lot lately. I've been a big guy for virtually all of my adult life and have been lifting weights for about 20 years. And in order to build muscle, you need a good amount of testosterone. That's why men are bigger and more muscular than women, because of their testosterone levels. And actually that's something that I'm worried about while I'm on Propecia, that I'm not getting nearly "the pump" that I used to after a workout.

Quote Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post
    With regards to your question Clandestine, I've been wondering about that issue a lot lately. I've been a big guy for virtually all of my adult life and have been lifting weights for about 20 years. And in order to build muscle, you need a good amount of testosterone. That's why men are bigger and more muscular than women, because of their testosterone levels. And actually that's something that I'm worried about while I'm on Propecia, that I'm not getting nearly "the pump" that I used to after a workout.
    DBHL; could you perhaps elaborate? What exactly is 'the pump', how would you describe it? I likely know what it is you're referring to, but am just confused by the wording or how propecia might be related. It is interesting that you note propecia has in some way hindered your ability to achieve this.

A pump is simply generally known as the effect of blood flooding into a worked muscle in order to provide more oxygen and nutrients to that muscle you are using. The result is a feeling of tightness in the muscle, and usually a notable increase in the size of the muscle, as you would expect as it is filled with blood. It could be a pump in your legs like you would get after a sprint, it could be a pump in your forearms from a tough rockclimb. To be honest DBHL, whilst I respect you are an advanced lifter, whilst only regarding myself as an intermediate lifter, I really wouldn't worry to much about a pump, or gauge performance based on a pump. You can achieve a pump doing 100 reps of 1kg bicep curls if you wanted to, and not get a pump doing 10 reps of 50kg. It just totally depends on how much rest you are giving a muscle, determining its oxygen demands.

With regards to the question OP, i'm of no use, but interesting for sure. However, from what i've read from users concerning whether fin impacts lifts, people seem to say it hasn't made a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    Working out, increased testosterone levels, increased DHT, more hair loss?
    My body shaping goals are obviously different but I do work out pretty hard almost every day. Since the condition of my hair has been slowly and steadily improving, I don't think working out causes any harm to your hair or increases hair loss.

"The pump" is actually a result of the lack of blood flow due to increased pressure from the muscles (and ligaments etc) size constricting blood flow.

Thats why when rock climbers talk about forearm pump and how to overcome it, they talk about shaking it out by using gravity in both directions to get blood flowing - it has to happen in both directions.
    ---------
    When you talk about "working out" and hair loss - the only people who are going to accelerate any hair loss are those who are lifting heavy and bulking to gain size and therefore strength. And by bulking I do not mean taking supplements that boost testosterone unnaturally.

How much acceleration? Who knows, person dependent.

Your testosterone production goes up and as a result so does your free testosterone. DHT isn't some magic number that says "I will take 89 Free Testosterones please" - it takes some percent that doesn't change.