+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    That sounds like traction alopecia. You need to sit down and have a talk with a doctor about it to try to assess how much damage you have caused. Those lost hairs might come back after a few years if you leave them alone - but they might not. As far as I know, there is no medicine that can help reverse that kind of damage.
    It's been over a few years now so I dont think they will come back by themselves im afraid.

Is it possible this treatment could work?

Quote Originally Posted by chattabob View Post
    Is it possible this treatment could work?
    I am not a doctor but I honestly doubt it. You are looking at treatment for common hereditary hair loss i.e.: Androgenic Alopecia i.e.: Male or Female pattern hair loss. These treatments are not for traction alopecia. Traction alopecia is a different animal than androgenetic alopecia. To the best of what I know, there are no treatments for traction alopecia. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to give Rogaine a try for at least a year to see if you can reverse some of that damage but you really need to book an appointment with a qualified reputable dermatologist.

I am not a doctor but I honestly doubt it. You are looking at treatment for common hereditary hair loss i.e.: Androgenic Alopecia i.e.: Male or Female pattern hair loss. These treatments are not for traction alopecia. Traction alopecia is a different animal than androgenetic alopecia. To the best of what I know, there are no treatments for traction alopecia. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to give Rogaine a try for at least a year to see if you can reverse some of that damage but you really need to book an appointment with a qualified reputable dermatologist.
    Wow not the answer I was expecting but thanks Tracy,

A year seems like a long time to wait for an answer.... DO these hair clinics not have a way of telling how much damage you have done and if it is reversable or if you still have the ability to regrow hair

A year seems like a long time to wait for an answer....
    Treating hair loss takes a long time. There is no quick fix. Only time can tell how much damage you have done to your hair. Since you say it has been three years, you can safely determine that you have done a lot of damage. If any medication can help you at all, it would probably be Rogaine - and it will take at least a full year to find out if it can help at all. Since laser is also known to help wounds heal, perhaps the laser comb might be able to help you as well - but I'm just not sure enough about that. I only mention it in case you are willing to give it a try - but again, it will likely take a full year before you will know if it can help.

Look at it this way, even if you opt for transplant surgery, it will take at least a year before you will be able to see the cosmetic benefit from the surgery. It just is what it is. Treating hair loss takes a long time.

I am sorry to give you answers you don't want to hear but you need to hear accurate information. I am trying to help you be realistic about your situation.

Take care,

Tracy

Treating hair loss takes a long time. There is no quick fix. Only time can tell how much damage you have done to your hair. Since you say it has been three years, you can safely determine that you have done a lot of damage. If any medication can help you at all, it would probably be Rogaine - and it will take at least a full year to find out if it can help at all. Since laser is also known to help wounds heal, perhaps the laser comb might be able to help you as well - but I'm just not sure enough about that. I only mention it in case you are willing to give it a try - but again, it will likely take a full year before you will know if it can help.

Look at it this way, even if you opt for transplant surgery, it will take at least a year before you will be able to see the cosmetic benefit from the surgery. It just is what it is. Treating hair loss takes a long time.

I am sorry to give you answers you don't want to hear but you need to hear accurate information. I am trying to help you be realistic about your situation.

Take care,

Tracy
    Thanks Tracy,

The reason I came on here was fro the honest truth anyway Just dont trust private clinics after all they are a business.

I'm thinking I'm going to opt for Rogain and maybe the laser comb... I amy also go into a clinic if I can or speak to my GP to find out the extent of the damage I have done aswell... Propecia I think is going to have to wait a bit until I have done a lot more research on it and MAYBE I will start this at a later date.

Does Rogain have generic cheaper versions that work or does everyone just use rogain itself??

Hi chattabob,

It is very important for you to understand that traction alopecia is not the same as androgenetic alopecia. When you mention that you are thinking about trying Propecia, you seem to be missing this very important point. Propecia is not an appropriate medication for attempting to treat traction alopecia. Propecia is for treating androgenetic alopecia.

Minoxidil is available in less expensive generic form. I use Walmart's Equate brand of Minoxidil myself for my evening dose. I am currently using men's Rogaine foam for my morning dose. There is a generic Minoxidil foam available now and I will give that a try when my current supply of Rogaine foam runs out.

Take care,

Tracy

Thanks,

Can I ask why you use a generic and rogain?

If you were me what would you do to start off with? Apart from more research lol

Can I ask why you use a generic and rogain?
    Sure. Rogaine foam is much more stealthy, convenient and its easier to use - but it is expensive so I use the foam in the morning when stealth is more important. Generic liquid Minoxidil is inexpensive but it is far from convenient or stealthy - so I use it in the evening when stealth is not so important.

Prior to March 1st 2012, there was no generic Minoxidil foam available. Now that a generic Minoxidil foam is available, I will give it a try when my current supply of Rogaine foam runs out.

If you were me what would you do to start off with? Apart from more research lol
    That's a tuff one. I have experience treating hereditary androgenetic alopecia but I have never had to deal with tranction alopecia. Making my best guess based on my experience with my own androgentic alopecia, I would use Minoxidil and the laser comb for a year and see what happens. If after a year there is still no sign that any of the lost hair is going to grow back, I would talk to a well qualified and highly respected hair transplant surgeon.

I've just ordered some caboki inm the meantime and some alpecine shampoo as this thinkened my hair last time I used it....

Its weird and I wish I had taken more notice at the time of the event, when I pulled my hair I completely put it to the back of my mind and made a concious effort not to look at the damage I had done, now its come to my attention again and because I have left it so long before checking if my hair has regrown you just cannot tell that the hair was pulled out, it looks exactly the same as someone who is losing there hair. Now I have either pulled it out perfectly so it looks like I've naturally lost it OR it grew back and is now falling out??

Is it safe to use Rogain continuous for a year? I thought when I used it last time the leaflet said no longer than a months use?? Does the strength make any difference to potential growth i.e I think its 5% but the hair clinic recommended higher?