+ Reply to Thread

Thread: is this normal?

Default is this normal?

New question:

I had my crown filled in over a year ago, using classical FUE procedures by a reputable Dr. noted on this site and I am surprised that the density is not very high, and it does not look totally full, and definitely not totally corrected. It was a pretty big job, and a very long strip of donors was extracted - from one side of head to other - practically scalped.

Is it normal to need a 2nd procedure on the crown to get enough density to make it appear as if there was no hair loss at all?

Any ideas what if anything went wrong?

Should I go back to the same Dr?

Senior Member Still-Researching's Avatar

Do you have some before and after pictures? How many grafts were planted? The length of the strip scar does not have much to do with the size of the HT, as usually the Docs will try to make it as thin as possible, which mean you will have a long scar - even with smaller HTs.

How large was the HT in terms of no of grafts?

Not withstanding above, the crown is one of the most difficult and graft consuming parts of the head to restore (it is called the black hole for a reason) and many docs warns to have reasonable expectations as say 2000 grafts will not make much difference in a bald crown, but large impact in the hairline if you are say a NW3.

Depending on the answers to above - I would consider whether to go back to the same doc. If you had a large HT with little growth - I would choose another doc, but have you discussed this with your current doctor. Would recommend to take the discussion with him first, send pics etc

Good luck and keep us posted.

Was the crown loss aggressive? I always tell patients that have large crowns to never expect full density, or anything that resembles full density as it just takes so many grafts to get this type of appearance and there will always be situations where the crown looks thin.

The length of the hair plays a big role here as well. If your hair his shorter then there is not as much layering and shingling going on. In fact, when the whorl pattern if properly reconstructed there is LESS shingling as the direction of the hairs are always turning clockwise (in some patients, counter clockwise). Of course if you are styling your hair against the "natural" growth directions (assuming they were placed properly) then this will make the crown seem thinner too. The contrast between hair color and scalp color is yet another factor.

"Is it normal to need a 2nd procedure on the crown to get enough density to make it appear as if there was no hair loss at all?"

Crowns are usually the one area that patients will want more hair in so a 2nd procedure may be necessary, indeed, however if you are looking to have the crown appear as if there was no loss at all then you might be on quite the long journey. There are ways to maximize the appearance of your result but no matter how full and thick you can make it (via hair styles) there will always be conditions where the illusion is broken. Your result may be perfectly fine with regards to the growth of each graft placed and if you went to a recommended doctor with a good reputation then the odds are that the growth is a non-issue. The real issue most likely is that there just was not enough hair placed to begin with.
    www.HassonandWong.com

All opinions are my own and may not necessarily be shared by Dr. Wong and/or Dr. Hasson.

If you are interested in having an online consultation visit www.hassonandwong.ca

To view my story and history visit my website at www.hairtransplantmentor.com

Thanks!!! Awesome answers.

Yes, it was worse than I realized in the crown. I suspect I am being too hard on him. He is a great guy and I am sure a great doc, and I am sure he did an acceptable job just didn't have enough folicles available. I just wish he would have warned me ahead of time about this. There seems to be a pervasive lack of communication among surgeons of this type.

I'm glad to help and if you want to post your before/after pics, or send them to me privately, I'd be happy to give you a more informed opinion. Regardless, good luck.
    www.HassonandWong.com

All opinions are my own and may not necessarily be shared by Dr. Wong and/or Dr. Hasson.

If you are interested in having an online consultation visit www.hassonandwong.ca

To view my story and history visit my website at www.hairtransplantmentor.com