+ Reply to Thread

Arrow Questions To Ask Your Hair Transplant Surgeon

Answered by James Harris, on The IAHRS Hair Transplant Info Center

View original post

I figure the best way to know what questions to ask a surgeon I may see for possible hair transplant surgery, is to actually ASK a hair transplant surgeon. Can you give me a list of things I should watch out for or be aware of and possible questions to ask to the doctor I see for a consultation? Thank you in advance.
    ----------------
    Thank you for your letter. You are absolutely correct that you may ask the surgeon any question that you would like and you have to feel comfortable with the way the surgeon answers your questions as well as the answers that he/she gives you.

The list of possible questions is lengthy and will depend on your individual situation and areas of particular interest. In general there should be no area that is off limits or too sensitive to ask the physician including training their experience. You should also be able to ask any question about the medical or surgical treatment of hair loss and how each may benefit you. If you have specific questions after you have done some research into hair restoration, by all means ask.

I wrote a book called “The Hair Replacement Revolution” several years ago that devotes an entire chapter to evaluating the physician including questions to ask. It is available from my office at no charge (contact me at info@hsccolorado.com or toll free 1.877.694.9381) or it can be purchased from Amazon.com. Below are three excerpts from chapter 9 which address your question. The first section is a “Patient Bill of Rights” which outlines your rights when interacting with a hair restoration surgeon:

As a prospective client, you have a right to:
    A provider who is experienced and knowledgeable; someone who makes you feel comfortable and at ease.
    As many consultations as necessary until all of your questions are answered.
    Bring your spouse, friend, sibling, parent, or anyone else to the consultation.
    A thorough explanation of the provider’s plan, whether a hair addition or surgery, before making a commitment. Especially in the case of surgery, you should expect a clear understanding of the procedure—of each step involved. Will there be transplants? If so, what kind of grafting is planned? How many sessions will be needed to achieve the desired results?
    Meet and talk with your surgeon prior to the day of the surgery, not only on the day of the procedure itself.
    Be informed of the possible complications of the surgical procedure, or drawbacks of the hair addition you are considering.
    Full disclosure of the surgeon or provider’s training and experience.
    Meet and talk with some of the provider’s other clients or patients.
    Read the consent form at your leisure without feeling rushed. Understand it before signing it.
    Make your decision without feeling pressured by sales tactics.

Questions for the physician:
    Why did you begin doing hair transplants? (Although there is no right or wrong answer to this question, the response should offer some insight into the doctor’s motivation and personality.)
    How many procedures have you performed? (A minimum of 100 is best.)
    How long have you been in practice? (A minimum of two to three years is good.)
    How long did you train with other doctors before you began performing the procedures? (One year would be ideal.)
    Which conferences and symposiums do you attend to stay current in the field? (At least one of the following meetings should be attended each year: The International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery, the European Society of Hair Restoration Surgery, ISHRS Live Surgery Workshop.)
    What is your primary surgical orientation: follicular unit transplantation or mini/micrografting? (This answer will indicate the surgeon’s primary method of hair transplantation. Be sure to ask how many procedures of this type he has performed.)
    Will you arrange for me to meet with some of your former patients who have experienced hair loss that was similar to mine, and who have completed the restoration process? (This answer better be “YES.”)
    Some possible questions to ask yourself after meeting the physician are:

Does the physician…
    Seem to understand my situation and care about my feelings?
    Show a willingness to acknowledge if he is unsure of something I have asked?
    Make me feel rushed?
    Appear willing to simply talk to and listen to me?
    Offer photos of other clients and provide an opportunity for me to meet with them?
    Explain technical procedures in a way that I can understand?

James Harris, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons

Smile Hi Dr. Feller!

Hi Dr. Feller,

It's cool to see you on this site. I'm a long time fan of The Bald Truth and have heard you on the show many times. I don't know much about the laser stuff, but since Spencer will not endorse it, I have chosen to stay clear.

I asked a question in another thread that I would like your opinion on if you have some time.

Here is the link to the thread:

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthr...?p=181#post181

Thank you for your time!

Thanks Dr. Feller! So how many grafts can I get from you for $5000

Question Traveling Techs

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Feller View Post
    I would also ask:

How many technicians are employed by the perspective HT clinic per patient per day?

How many years have those techs been performing HT in THAT office with the same team?

Are the techs "shared" between clinics?

Are unknown "roaming" techs (also called "travelling techs") employed from time to time in that clinic? You really don't want to go there if that's the case.

Are microscopes used? Be careful here. MANY if not MOST HT clinics own a few microscopes for show, but rarely if ever actually use them.
    What is the downside of going to a clinic that uses traveling techs? I mean if the techs are REALLY skilled wouldn't they just be spreading their good tech ways across the various clinics they work for?

hi i am a girl from India. i am 31 yrs old. i am suffering from Alopecia Ophiasis type since in was 1 1/2 yrs of age ! i had taken steroid injections in the affected area and also taken medication for the same . after steroid injections i recovered my hair but once it was stopped all the grown hair fell off and till today it hasnt regrown !
    Ophiasis is a snake band like baldness which stretches from one ear to the other ! since its at the back of my head it doesnt show much but like any of you here i cant tie my hair or do anything with it ! luckily i do have my scalp hair except the back part of it because when i lift my hair up its bald from back so i cant tie my hair !
    also recently i started having bald patches around my scalp ! i fear my alopecia areata is progressing now and soon it will effect all my scalp hair !~

Can you please suggest me if there is any kind of treatment for Alopecia Areata Ophiasis type condition !

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Feller View Post
    I would also ask:

How many technicians are employed by the perspective HT clinic per patient per day?

How many years have those techs been performing HT in THAT office with the same team?

Are the techs "shared" between clinics?

Are unknown "roaming" techs (also called "travelling techs") employed from time to time in that clinic? You really don't want to go there if that's the case.

Are microscopes used? Be careful here. MANY if not MOST HT clinics own a few microscopes for show, but rarely if ever actually use them.
    that is funny

my doctor lied about the first two questions, matter of fact I had to listen to two of the tech talking while putting in the grafts, one telling the other that the doctor needed to talk to her after my HT. Meaning that she was going to be let go. At this time my doctor is in a consultation and I can hear him in the other room. I was thinking to myself what the hell did I get my self into with this liar. He told me everyone had a minimum of 4 years experience and was not being honest. When I emailed him he had a new staff member respond to my email.

His turn over is obviously high when it comes to some positions, and in this economy you know doctors are adjusting their staff to profit more. He even dropped his sales rep that I dealt with who lied her ass off to me about many things.

I spoke with my doctor about it and he won't address it, implying that I would have to sue and have a court order for the employment records

you know him well Feller...