+ Reply to Thread

Thread: just a rant.

Default just a rant.

It seems to me that many around here believe that hair loss is treatable or at least it can be slowed down to some extent. Well not in my case! So here's my story. I started the process when I was around 19- 20 years old. I immediately visited a dermatologist who gave me Finasteride and Minoxidil. Even though I've used them religiously for the past 4 years I am now norwood 6.

Throughout these years I have tried all sort of stuff, increasing Finasteride, using Dutasteride, using Nizoral and shamefully used a number of other gimmicky products. Fin never gave me side effects, everything still works A ok. But my hair loss never showed signs of stopping. So why not get a hair transplant ? Well it seems that these are only available to those who are at least 30 and only have moderate balding. Unfortunately I am young, have average donor and density and a large area to fill, so I do not qualify. Therefore I have now exhausted all my treatment options to no avail.

To wrap it all up, I think there are many other youngsters who like me experience such aggressive balding that they can't halt it in any way. So yes, some of us can't do anything about it! For all those who are thinking of starting treatment please don't be discouraged, from what it seems this might be able to buy you a couple of years (I still believe it is worth a try, and wish it worked).

Sorry for sounding a bit bitter, but I felt I needed to blurt this out!

NW1 to NW6 in 4 years even while you're on fin/dut/nizoral???

Unhappy

Finasteride, Minoxidil and Nizoral. I am only using originator products. When I look at my own pictures, I find it hard to believe how quickly it occurred. To be completely honest I tried Dut only for 4 months. However I don't think I am the only one. Most of my cousins where slick bald by 30, my father still enjoys a relatively full head of hair.

I'm surprised you perseveered with it for 6 years.

I've been at it for 4 years. But I'm now thinking of stopping . I've been told that if I go off treatment my situation might get worse. From norwood 6 I really can't imagine it getting much worse.

I cant believe you persisted with it for 4 years. It should take about 6 months. A year at best. I would have given up after 18 months max.

I would stop. I doubt it will change much. Save your money.

If it has not helped you then I doubt it will make things worse when you stop taking it.

Good advice, save your money. Norwood 6 to Norwood 7 is as good as makes no difference. Keep it short/shaved & enjoy your life is what I'd do. I've a few friends who were bald by about the age of 25, I don't even think I've heard any of them even mention it once. They've all now got good jobs,lives, nice girlfreinds/wives, houses etc, i.e it's never held them back. Baldness is the most natural thing in the world, if you think about it, even irregardless of age (because plenty of people go "prematurely bald") Everyone would probably like the option of hair, which is why we all frequent forums like this, but in the grand scheme of things it really does'nt matter.