Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kirby_
    • Jan 2012

Two questions for the old-timers

1.) Simple question: do you personally expect there will ever be any hairloss treatments in the future that will be objectively superior to the Big 3 and existing forms of hair transplants?

2.) If so, what of the known possible future treatment options do you believe are the most likely to succeed?
  • Tracy C
    • Sep 2011

I do believe we will have significantly better treatments available to fight hereditary hair loss soon - like within three to five years.

I believe the two biotech companies that have the best solutions are Replicel and Histogen.

I suspect Replicel's solution will immunize hair follicles from the damaging effects of DHT, thereby making it an official "cure" for hereditary hair loss. As such there will no longer be a need for medications such as Finasteride to block DHT production in males or Spironolactone to block DHT reception in females. Minoxidil and/or LLLT may be helpful temporarily to expedite regrowth though.

I am quite sure that Histogen's solution does not immunize hair follicles from DHT therefore is not a "cure" but still a much better treatment option than what is currently available. However I think it will still be necessary to block DHT production or reception.

I do not believe any of the new treatments will completely eliminate the need for transplantation. I suspect some patients will still need some transplantation to re-construct the hair line.

Please note that these are simply my opinions. They are based on everything I have been able to read and think through using the information I have learned about hair restoration over the past few years.

Comment

• Kiwi
      • Mar 2011

I agree with Tracey and envisage it being at least 3-5 years before there is something better available.

I watched Intercytex come and go.
      I've been watching Aderans fight phase II trials for over two years.
      I've watched Histogen get dragged through court by competitors - and also fight their way through phase II trials.

I've observed a lot in 5 years.

Tracey, excellent point about the hairlines, all the Hair Transplant doctors that are alive today will be dead before they run out of potential Hair Transplant patients :P

Comment

• Still-Researching
        • Feb 2010

Since I start researching we have said that a new treatment was max 5 years away - which would totally change the industry. Besides FUT mega-sessions and FUE nothing really did rock the industry so far.

Personally I believe we are looking at 5-10 yrs before anything ground breaking will emerge, but I hope sooner.

The big 3 is the way to go for now and then combine it with a short haircut or a HT if you are not happy as it is... But do your research before you go down the HT route.

Comment

• Maradona
          • Nov 2011

This cannot be answered fully yet, we will have a better answer by the end of the year.

Comment

• Kirby_
            • Jan 2012

Just to bump this thread, just in case anyone else who's been round the block a few times wants to answer my questions. I know the old-timers have certainly seen lots of things come and go unsuccessfully. I'm also curious if the veterans have more faith in either medicines or high-end procedures offering the next big advance.

Comment

Working...