Is Propecia appropiate for a 18-year old?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hairysituation
    • Feb 2012

Is Propecia appropiate for a 18-year old?

Yes. I havealready ordered Rogaine 5% foam and I'm also consider to start on Proscar/Propecia. Will this mess up my hormone levels? Or is this defensible?
  • john2399
    • Jan 2012

I started propecia when i was 17 about to turn 18 so i would say yes. I felt if i was losing my hair, then my body def wasen't the same as a typical 17 year old, plus i was desperate. Don't expect too much hair growth but it does help stop the hair from coming out.

Comment

• chrisis
      • Feb 2012

Is it suitable for anyone is worth asking too. I say this as someone still suffering from side effects since I stopped in January.

Comment

• hairysituation
        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by chrisis
        Is it suitable for anyone is worth asking too. I say this as someone still suffering from side effects since I stopped in January.
        Must suck to belong to the 1-2% group of people suffering with side effects from Propecia Most feel hopeless!

Comment

• chrisis
          • Feb 2012

Originally posted by hairysituation
          Must suck to belong to the 1-2% group of people suffering with side effects from Propecia Most feel hopeless!
          I don't believe the 1%-2% figure is credible. I know two other guys off forum who have used finasteride, and all 3 of us have had side effects. One of my friends says he can compromise because his aren't so bad, but mine killed my sex drive.

What are the odds that 3 guys who know each other would all fall within the 2%

1 in 125,000.

Comment

• clandestine
            • Aug 2011

Wasn't the incidence of sides deemed 6% more realistically a little while ago?

Comment

• chrisis
              • Feb 2012

There are various studies yeah. 6% I could just about believe, but I still think it's far more complex and putting numbers on it is tough.

Comment

• Gandolf
                • Sep 2011

Yes. I havealready ordered Rogaine 5% foam and I'm also consider to start on Proscar/Propecia. Will this mess up my hormone levels? Or is this defensible?
                18 is probably the youngest someone should consider Propecia, and only when used under the guidance of a Doctor (i.e. don't order it from some online pharmacy without a script at your age).

Comment

• hairysituation
                  • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Gandolf
                  18 is probably the youngest someone should consider Propecia, and only when used under the guidance of a Doctor (i.e. don't order it from some online pharmacy without a script at your age).
                  Why can't I order from online? Finasteride is Finasteride whether I get it from my doc or online. What can the doctor possibly know, that can impact my decision or make me think twice about it?

Comment

• Follicle Death Row
                    • May 2011

I think it probably is a good idea to wait until 18. I'm a bit skeptical of the 2% figure, having had some trouble with finasteride myself (this was before I was even aware of all the hoopla). I'm a little dubious of the whole callating of the results being above aboard given Merck's history. That being said for those that tolerate it well it can be very beneficial.

Just to give a balanced post on finasteride, I recall hearing about a doctor prescribing proscar for a 14 year old boy and it dramatically changed his life for the better. The doc was honest enough to say that it probably wouldn't save his hair forever but it would get him into his 20s with a decent head of hair. I can't imagine losing hair at 14. So sad.

Comment

• Gandolf
                      • Sep 2011

Why can't I order from online? Finasteride is Finasteride whether I get it from my doc or online. What can the doctor possibly know, that can impact my decision or make me think twice about it?
                      Bro you can do whatever you want, I'm just giving you my opinion. Many guy's bodies are still changing and developing at the age of 18 so I think it might be wise to be under a doctor's care when taking drugs.

Comment

• DepressedByHairLoss
                        • Feb 2011

Yeah, that statistic of something like 3% of people having side effects from finasteride is total horseshit in my opinion. There are plenty of people on here that have had side effects on finasteride as well as plenty of my friends. I've personally had side effects as well. It stands to reason that when you screw around with a person's hormonal structure and drastically lower the production of a chief male hormone, there are going to be side effects. That being said, I continue to take it and won't encourage people not to, because I believe that it does have some effect on hair loss, although not nearly as effective as we need a hair loss drug to be. And I still continue to take it because the other options that we have (minoxidil and nizoral) are just downright laughable. Sorry to say, but it's just absolutely sad that we have such limited options to treat something that affects our lives so greatly.

Comment

• clandestine
                          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by DepressedByHairLoss
                          Yeah, that statistic of something like 3% of people having side effects from finasteride is total horseshit in my opinion. There are plenty of people on here that have had side effects on finasteride as well as plenty of my friends. I've personally had side effects as well. It stands to reason that when you screw around with a person's hormonal structure and drastically lower the production of a chief male hormone, there are going to be side effects. That being said, I continue to take it and won't encourage people not to, because I believe that it does have some effect on hair loss, although not nearly as effective as we need a hair loss drug to be. And I still continue to take it because the other options that we have (minoxidil and nizoral) are just downright laughable. Sorry to say, but it's just absolutely sad that we have such limited options to treat something that affects our lives so greatly.
                          I'm in complete agreeance. They really haven't figured it out yet.

As such, I maintain a healthy skepticism when considering the use of finasteride. Laughable is right on point, concerning current treatment options.

Comment

Working...