+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is Propecia appropiate for a 18-year old?

Yes. I havealready ordered Rogaine 5% foam and I'm also consider to start on Proscar/Propecia. Will this mess up my hormone levels? Or is this defensible?

I started propecia when i was 17 about to turn 18 so i would say yes. I felt if i was losing my hair, then my body def wasen't the same as a typical 17 year old, plus i was desperate. Don't expect too much hair growth but it does help stop the hair from coming out.

Is it suitable for anyone is worth asking too. I say this as someone still suffering from side effects since I stopped in January.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    Is it suitable for anyone is worth asking too. I say this as someone still suffering from side effects since I stopped in January.
    Must suck to belong to the 1-2% group of people suffering with side effects from Propecia Most feel hopeless!

Quote Originally Posted by hairysituation View Post
    Must suck to belong to the 1-2% group of people suffering with side effects from Propecia Most feel hopeless!
    I don't believe the 1%-2% figure is credible. I know two other guys off forum who have used finasteride, and all 3 of us have had side effects. One of my friends says he can compromise because his aren't so bad, but mine killed my sex drive.

What are the odds that 3 guys who know each other would all fall within the 2%

1 in 125,000.

Wasn't the incidence of sides deemed 6% more realistically a little while ago?

There are various studies yeah. 6% I could just about believe, but I still think it's far more complex and putting numbers on it is tough.

Quote Originally Posted by hairysituation View Post
    Yes. I havealready ordered Rogaine 5% foam and I'm also consider to start on Proscar/Propecia. Will this mess up my hormone levels? Or is this defensible?
    18 is probably the youngest someone should consider Propecia, and only when used under the guidance of a Doctor (i.e. don't order it from some online pharmacy without a script at your age).

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf View Post
    18 is probably the youngest someone should consider Propecia, and only when used under the guidance of a Doctor (i.e. don't order it from some online pharmacy without a script at your age).
    Why can't I order from online? Finasteride is Finasteride whether I get it from my doc or online. What can the doctor possibly know, that can impact my decision or make me think twice about it?

I think it probably is a good idea to wait until 18. I'm a bit skeptical of the 2% figure, having had some trouble with finasteride myself (this was before I was even aware of all the hoopla). I'm a little dubious of the whole callating of the results being above aboard given Merck's history. That being said for those that tolerate it well it can be very beneficial.

Just to give a balanced post on finasteride, I recall hearing about a doctor prescribing proscar for a 14 year old boy and it dramatically changed his life for the better. The doc was honest enough to say that it probably wouldn't save his hair forever but it would get him into his 20s with a decent head of hair. I can't imagine losing hair at 14. So sad.