+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by iwannakeephair1674 View Post
    This is really an exciting time! I just booked my plane ticket and finalizing my appointment to have this done on Tuesday, June 23rd. I completed the online consultation yesterday and he said my goals and expectations were very realistic on maintaining what I have if not grow a little extra. His staff was very nice and more than willing to work with my schedule and help with flights. Everyone wish me luck.. I will keep all of you updated.

Destin
    We look forward to your feedback and best wishes!
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Default Email from Dr. Feller's office

Hey guys. I just got the following email from Dr. Feller's office and just wanted to share

We are now performing the PRP treatments in our office. Anyone really is a
    candidate for it. All you need to do is set up a "consult" appointment (which
    is free) with Dr. Feller, and after discussing your concerns with him, we can
    bring you right in to do the treatment. It takes about 20 minutes and costs
    $600.00.

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    PRP does not circumvent the effect of DHT to hair follicles. It may however revitalize some of them from their telogen stage (dormant) and reguvenate some new growth. Not all of the follicles are dead as you suggest but may be in the telogen stage. In other words there can be some dormant follicles in a slick bald area but for the most part they are debilitated and on their way out.

So while PRP therapy may promote some regrowth in a completely bald area, it would not be as robust or dense as areas not affected by DHT.

I think the important thing here is the ability to maintain what you have. If both the use of a DHT blocker (such as Finasteride or Dutasteride) plus yearly treatments of PRP treatments together are able to help you maintain what you have or dramatically slow down the process, then I think its amazing. Personally, if I can just maintain what I have for years to come doing my current regime plus PRP, then I will be very content. Hopefully this new regime could hold me over until a new/better unexpected treatment occurs. I think that it is a very exciting time and new treatments like this bring hope to the hair loss community. It is pretty exciting how technology is allowing new findings to come into place. Examples of this are significantly better / more efficient hair transplantation. Imagine how many innovators improved this method compared to just even 10 years ago. I am very supportive of the doctors such as Greco, Bauman, Feller, Bernstein, Rassman, and many of the IAHRS with their innovative techniques and constant initiative to raise the bar. We have come a long way, I believe that if people keep trying and are open to new ideas we can make MPB a choice rather than a certainty.

The hairloss community should NOT give up hope. I hate reading the forums and see people who have no more hope. I feel like a cure will come and a lot sooner than we think. I know there are currently people working diligently on hair cloning and also it seems like there are new findings more periodically than before, such as scientists finding a gene that may actually cause hairloss. So all I'm saying to everyone is to have hope and not give up. I know how many times we have all heard a cure within 10 years speech.... but the difference between then and now is how much more closer we are with the new therapies and findings we come upon.

My advice for everyone is to read the forums, talk to the doctors, encourage them to push the bar, ask valid questions, spread the word, listen to the Bald Truth, not be so pessimistic, take initiative, and gain hope.

Thats just my two cents

-Destin

Quote Originally Posted by iwannakeephair1674 View Post
    I think the important thing here is the ability to maintain what you have. If both the use of a DHT blocker (such as Finasteride or Dutasteride) plus yearly treatments of PRP treatments together are able to help you maintain what you have or dramatically slow down the process, then I think its amazing. Personally, if I can just maintain what I have for years to come doing my current regime plus PRP, then I will be very content. Hopefully this new regime could hold me over until a new/better unexpected treatment occurs. I think that it is a very exciting time and new treatments like this bring hope to the hair loss community. It is pretty exciting how technology is allowing new findings to come into place. Examples of this are significantly better / more efficient hair transplantation. Imagine how many innovators improved this method compared to just even 10 years ago. I am very supportive of the doctors such as Greco, Bauman, Feller, Bernstein, Rassman, and many of the IAHRS with their innovative techniques and constant initiative to raise the bar. We have come a long way, I believe that if people keep trying and are open to new ideas we can make MPB a choice rather than a certainty.

The hairloss community should NOT give up hope. I hate reading the forums and see people who have no more hope. I feel like a cure will come and a lot sooner than we think. I know there are currently people working diligently on hair cloning and also it seems like there are new findings more periodically than before, such as scientists finding a gene that may actually cause hairloss. So all I'm saying to everyone is to have hope and not give up. I know how many times we have all heard a cure within 10 years speech.... but the difference between then and now is how much more closer we are with the new therapies and findings we come upon.

My advice for everyone is to read the forums, talk to the doctors, encourage them to push the bar, ask valid questions, spread the word, listen to the Bald Truth, not be so pessimistic, take initiative, and gain hope.

Thats just my two cents

-Destin

That's some of the best "two cents" I have read and could not agree more. Thanks for your encouraging words to the hairloss community and best wishes to you and your wise regimen.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

It is true this technology has been around for about 20 years, but it is new to hair loss. As with other new hair restoration technologies this will take time to see if it really works, it seems that a lot of doctors are adding it to their practice to take advantage of the buzz and make a profit. When I researched PRP, there were some warnings about PRP causing melenoma and other skin cancers when used on the face and scalp, not trying to scare people, but do your research before you pay thousands of dollars on something that may not be permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Straub, MD View Post
    Platelet Rich Plasma has been discussed at our meetings before. At a prior time we were encouraged to soak our grafts in PRP to promote growth. There may be a future in direct injections as Dr. Greco is demonstrating.

I want to comment on the patient with dark hair. The result here is impressive.
    The location of the bald spot is unusual. The bald spot is behind a normal hairline. This is not the location of male pattern balding. If the patient had alopecia areata which usually disappears spontaneously, it is conceivable that similar photos could have been taken with no treatment.
    This is a great observation. That's what I thought too when I saw that photograph. It presents a lot more like AA than AGA.
    But then again, we don't have a full medical history for this patient. We don't know if he had a transplant in the past to fill in his hairline, then had further recession to cause that abnormal bald spot.