+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cooley, MD View Post
    I have been doing PRP for over a year now. In fact I was trained by Joe Greco, Pa-C, PhD. Joe is a physicians assistant with a PhD.....he's fully trained and certified to perform surgery. PRP has several possible applications for hair restoration, either in improving surgery or as a stand alone treatment for hair loss as highlighted in these videos.

PRP involves the application/injection of plasma that has about 5X the amount of platelets as in circulating blood. The platelets secrete numerous growth factors, including PDGF and VEGF, both of which have been shown to have positive effects on hair growth. So it is reasonable to think that PRP would not only help wound healing but also hair growth. As some posters mentioned, PRP as a stand alone procedure would have to be repeated on a periodic basis to maintain benefits.

I have been using PRP on certain of my transplant patients, particularly those have had prior surgery, for over a year. I have seen more rapid healing but I have not done enough cases to determine if there is a definite effect on growth. PRP is appearing in numerous areas of surgery (esp orthopedics and dental surgery) and I firmly believe it has a future with hair restoration, although the exact role needs to be worked out with more research.

On a personal note, I have had PRP done on myself. It is being increasing used for sports injuries and reportedly helped a couple Pittsburgh Steelers play in the Super Bowl (see http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/17/sp...d.html?_r=1&hp). I have had significant triceps tendonitis in my elbow for many years, often limiting my weight lifting and golf. The orthopedic surgeon I saw several years ago told me nothing could be done until it got bad enough for surgery. When I was visiting Joe in January, he treated my elbow with his special modification of PRP, injecting all around the tendon attachment. While it could be placebo effect, my chronic pain has completely disappeared and I can barely remember which elbow I had the problem with. I also had my scalp treated about a year ago and everyone has been complementing on my hair but this is very hard to quantify.

Possible candidates for stand alone treatment would be those with thinning and miniaturization, especially in the crown, and when surgery is not indicated or desired. I'm sure that Joe would agree with the statement that while an improvement in hair caliber and visual thickness is expected, the degree of improvement cannot be predicted.
    Sounds Promising & Thanks,

Just wondering if you happen to know a place where I can get this done in Northern California, Like Sacramento. I did a google search but I can find anything about hair growth, just arthritis and other surgeys.
    Any help with be highly appreciated and thanks in advance.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Thomas Law, MD's Avatar

Default wound healing and PRP in hairloss

I am so excited by what has been presented here by Dr. Greco and Dr. Cooley. It's 4 A.M. as I write this post ------I simply can't sleep due to the realization that I will be able to help so many more people now due to this noteworthy treatment!

My own 87 year old father (himself a physician) is presently bedridden in an assisted living facility. Through criminal neglect, he has recently developed a pressure ulceration the size of an orange on his lower back, involving the bone. This is a life threatening wound which never should have occurred in the first place! It may take six months to heal, God willing. You better believe I will be aggressive in insisting that PRP be incorporated into his treatment regimen immediately! Thanks Joe and Jerry!

Two years ago, when I first read the original article written by Dr. Greco for the July-Aug 2007 issue of "Hair Transplant Forum International", I remember being thrilled by the truly unbelievable potential PRP held for the hair transplant patient, both in expediting wound healing, and in stimulating regrowth of transplanted follicles AND stimulating growth of the surrounding hair.

Now I realize how this remarkable substance can be incorporated into the routine treatment armamentarium of medical therapies for hair loss for men and women. Regardless of age and regardless of hair loss stage, everyone can be a candidate for treatment with PRP, both for preventive maintenance, as well as to enhance the appearance of fullness (increased hair caliber equals increased hair volume) of existing hair! Finally, I can help everyone (including myself) and I am charged!

Dr. Feller and I have already discussed the possibility of doing further studies, either together or separately, in New York. We have agreed to inject each others scalps, too, as soon as we can get setup.

By the way, more good news! There will be no need for FDA approval to delay this extraordinary therapy. After all, no medicine or expensive equipment is involved. The patient will be "getting a dose of their own medicine", so to speak. Its really fantastic. And there are no risks or side effects!

Thanks in advance for allowing me to post.

Thomas Law, MD
    Thomas Law, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Law, MD View Post
    I am so excited by what has been presented here by Dr. Greco and Dr. Cooley. It's 4 A.M. as I write this post ------I simply can't sleep due to the realization that I will be able to help so many more people now due to this noteworthy treatment!

My own 87 year old father (himself a physician) is presently bedridden in an assisted living facility. Through criminal neglect, he has recently developed a pressure ulceration the size of an orange on his lower back, involving the bone. This is a life threatening wound which never should have occurred in the first place! It may take six months to heal, God willing. You better believe I will be aggressive in insisting that PRP be incorporated into his treatment regimen immediately! Thanks Joe and Jerry!

Two years ago, when I first read the original article written by Dr. Greco for the July-Aug 2007 issue of "Hair Transplant Forum International", I remember being thrilled by the truly unbelievable potential PRP held for the hair transplant patient, both in expediting wound healing, and in stimulating regrowth of transplanted follicles AND stimulating growth of the surrounding hair.

Now I realize how this remarkable substance can be incorporated into the routine treatment armamentarium of medical therapies for hair loss for men and women. Regardless of age and regardless of hair loss stage, everyone can be a candidate for treatment with PRP, both for preventive maintenance, as well as to enhance the appearance of fullness (increased hair caliber equals increased hair volume) of existing hair! Finally, I can help everyone (including myself) and I am charged!

Dr. Feller and I have already discussed the possibility of doing further studies, either together or separately, in New York. We have agreed to inject each others scalps, too, as soon as we can get setup.

By the way, more good news! There will be no need for FDA approval to delay this extraordinary therapy. After all, no medicine or expensive equipment is involved. The patient will be "getting a dose of their own medicine", so to speak. Its really fantastic. And there are no risks or side effects!

Thanks in advance for allowing me to post.

Thomas Law, MD
    Two New York doctors doing PRP, now that sounds promising. When are you going to be injecting each other and can you video the process and post it on the forum? If you grow some hair, I’ll be the first one in line it have it done.

Default Prp

Platelet Rich Plasma has been discussed at our meetings before. At a prior time we were encouraged to soak our grafts in PRP to promote growth. There may be a future in direct injections as Dr. Greco is demonstrating.

I want to comment on the patient with dark hair. The result here is impressive.
    The location of the bald spot is unusual. The bald spot is behind a normal hairline. This is not the location of male pattern balding. If the patient had alopecia areata which usually disappears spontaneously, it is conceivable that similar photos could have been taken with no treatment.

Default Updates?

Any updates on all this PRP stuff? I've contacted a few doctors. It seems that pretty much everyone agrees that this is safe? I think I'm going to book an appointment with Greco tomorrow to have it done in a couple of weeks.. I sent him pics and he told me I'm a perfect candidate. I'll keep you guys posted. If anyone else gets this done, please keep the community posted as well. Guys on other forums have had this done within that past few weeks but it is too early to report on any results yet.

I was supposed to e-mail him pictures of my hair also, but I do not know which e-mail to send it to. What did you do to send pictures to him?

Destin

Quote Originally Posted by Refuse2GoBald View Post
    Any updates on all this PRP stuff? I've contacted a few doctors. It seems that pretty much everyone agrees that this is safe? I think I'm going to book an appointment with Greco tomorrow to have it done in a couple of weeks.. I sent him pics and he told me I'm a perfect candidate. I'll keep you guys posted. If anyone else gets this done, please keep the community posted as well. Guys on other forums have had this done within that past few weeks but it is too early to report on any results yet.
    Well thanks for your willingness to share your experience! Best wishes to you.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Default Taking the Plunge

I'm flying to FL on Thursday evening(5/14) from CA to have the procedure performed by Dr. Greco on Friday. I'll keep you guys posted. Wish me luck.

I'm flying to FL on Thursday evening(5/14) from CA to have the procedure performed by Dr. Greco on Friday. I'll keep you guys posted. Wish me luck.
    Very cool and wish you the best!
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Good luck please keep us informed!