+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Just a note: Due to the ugly nature of the internet, baldtruthtalk.com does not allow links to external hair loss and hair transplant forums.

Thank you for your understanding in this matter.

So who else is going to be offering this besides Dr. Feller. It concerns me when only one IAHRS doctor is going to be offering this. If it really worked I would think all of them would jump on it.

Quote Originally Posted by PayDay View Post
    So who else is going to be offering this besides Dr. Feller. It concerns me when only one IAHRS doctor is going to be offering this. If it really worked I would think all of them would jump on it.
    I agree with that point Payday. You would think that if this was so promising that hair transplant doctors and dermatologists all over the world would be trying it. It looks like a very simple procedure.

The news article presents PRP therapy as a method of facilitating the healing of internal wounds. Just how is it supposed to cure hairloss? Is the theory that PRP will help people regrow hair? I really do not see the connection.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Jerry Cooley, MD's Avatar

Default Prp

I have been doing PRP for over a year now. In fact I was trained by Joe Greco, Pa-C, PhD. Joe is a physicians assistant with a PhD.....he's fully trained and certified to perform surgery. PRP has several possible applications for hair restoration, either in improving surgery or as a stand alone treatment for hair loss as highlighted in these videos.

PRP involves the application/injection of plasma that has about 5X the amount of platelets as in circulating blood. The platelets secrete numerous growth factors, including PDGF and VEGF, both of which have been shown to have positive effects on hair growth. So it is reasonable to think that PRP would not only help wound healing but also hair growth. As some posters mentioned, PRP as a stand alone procedure would have to be repeated on a periodic basis to maintain benefits.

I have been using PRP on certain of my transplant patients, particularly those have had prior surgery, for over a year. I have seen more rapid healing but I have not done enough cases to determine if there is a definite effect on growth. PRP is appearing in numerous areas of surgery (esp orthopedics and dental surgery) and I firmly believe it has a future with hair restoration, although the exact role needs to be worked out with more research.

On a personal note, I have had PRP done on myself. It is being increasing used for sports injuries and reportedly helped a couple Pittsburgh Steelers play in the Super Bowl (see http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/17/sp...d.html?_r=1&hp). I have had significant triceps tendonitis in my elbow for many years, often limiting my weight lifting and golf. The orthopedic surgeon I saw several years ago told me nothing could be done until it got bad enough for surgery. When I was visiting Joe in January, he treated my elbow with his special modification of PRP, injecting all around the tendon attachment. While it could be placebo effect, my chronic pain has completely disappeared and I can barely remember which elbow I had the problem with. I also had my scalp treated about a year ago and everyone has been complementing on my hair but this is very hard to quantify.

Possible candidates for stand alone treatment would be those with thinning and miniaturization, especially in the crown, and when surgery is not indicated or desired. I'm sure that Joe would agree with the statement that while an improvement in hair caliber and visual thickness is expected, the degree of improvement cannot be predicted.
    Jerry Cooley, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

There has been enough clinical substantiation to strongly support the use of PRP for the advanced healing benefits and what almost seems to be a reversal of injury.

We will look to those progressive minded doctors who are either already using PRP or will be soon as to documenting and reporting your clinical findings. If it does in fact improve hair shaft diameter, then that will prove to be extremely beneficial in helping to attain the illusion of coverage. When it comes right down to it, hair caliber is the single most critical factor visually speaking, even over density IMHO.

The diffused patient including many women suffering from MPB in the typical Ludwig pattern of loss, may never need to contemplate surgical hair restoration again. Let's hope this is the case because to date, it presents far more promise than all of the claims of HM and cloning.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Arrow Dr. Joeseph Greco Ph.D. Will Be Answering Your Questions

We started another thread specifically for Dr. Joseph Greco to answer your questions. Once we gather the questions, Dr. Greco will be answering them on the forum.

Feel free to post your questions concerning PRP therapy here:

Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy | Dr. Joseph Greco Ph.D. Answers Your Questions

Default Wow!

OKAY! I’m a bit more of a believer now. Thanks for posting Dr. Cooley, now that two IAHRS doctors are giving PRP the thumbs up I feel a little more optimistic. Will you and Dr. Feller be answering more questions as they come up? I’m going to post some questions for Dr. Greco on the other thread. Will he be answering them all at once or as they come in?

This is fasinating, I’m in, where do I sign?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by PayDay View Post
    OKAY! I’m a bit more of a believer now. Thanks for posting Dr. Cooley, now that two IAHRS doctors are giving PRP the thumbs up I feel a little more optimistic. Will you and Dr. Feller be answering more questions as they come up? I’m going to post some questions for Dr. Greco on the other thread. Will he be answering them all at once or as they come in?
    Now that a couple of doctors are verifying this, I’m all ears.