+ Reply to Thread

Default My balding story / current treatment / advice please ^^

Hi everyone. Let me preface my questions first with a little bit about me. I am 23 year old college student, 5'10, and pretty healthy / in good shape. On my dads side of the family, MPB is rampant lol. My dad went completely bald by about 28, or 29. My uncle (his brother) by about 35. And I didn't realize it until I got older, but my grandfather (their dad) has been bald for god knows how long too (he rocked a toupee, figures). On my mom's side of the family, my grandfather (her mom) surprsingly has some hair on top, although thin and combed over. My uncle on that side of the family has a full ass head of thick, italian hair. So looking at my family, I've concluded that I probably got most of my hair genes from my dads side of the family (if that makes sense). I should add, my brother (only 2 years older than me) has got pretty bad hair loss,
    much worse than what you will see in my photos. And I mean a biiiig bald spot, with hardly any hair covering it. So, yeah, I've pretty much had to accept the fact that my hair sucks haha, but I think it's helped me not worry about it so much.

Because all in all, I am a really positive individual, and although my receding and fairly noticeable bald spot near the top of my head / part
    don't stop me from living my life, I, rather than just accept it and shave it off, would prefer to at least try to tackle the problem and see where it takes me. I know at some point it will probably catch up to me and I'll shave it off and further embrace who I am, but hey, if I can at least keep some decent hair for another 10-15 years by using affordable FDA-approved treatment, why not right? That's how I look at it at least.

I have been using Minoxidil 5% (kirkland brand - bought at costco pretty cheap) for 8 months, missing a day here and there, but fairly dedicated for the most part. If I had to guess, I'd say I probably missed 10 applications (not days, just applications since I'm supposed to apply it twice a day, and I never miss two in the same day).

I apply 1 ML on the crown area like I'm told, and about another .5-.75ml touching up the frontal area, since I would prefer to try to keep that
    long too so I can style a look and hide the receding a bit better.

here you can see my balding, and one angle of my hairline going up there lol.
    http://i40.tinypic.com/33tj828.png

http://i42.tinypic.com/68wj68.jpg

front views:
    http://i43.tinypic.com/wmbhwi.png

Unfortunately, I have not taken any before or afters because I'm not so scrupulous about it, but I can say I have noticed two things

1) my hair up front got a little longer, and filled in a tiny bit of density. Although there are still some "gaps" of lovely baldness (only way I can describe it) when I brush my hair back between the thicker sections. And

2) some more of those short stuby hairs everybody always talks about with minoxidil have both grown in, and grown a little bit longer at the top of my head/crown, making my MPB not look as bad when my hair is dry and I'm walking around in normal light.

Now, my two big questions are this.

1) I understand minoxidil doesn't actually stop MPD, but rather acts as a stimulant for the hair you do have, so that it's kind of 2 steps forward,
    1 step back, but if I continue to use it as part of a healthy regiment with 1% nizoral shampoo that I use to keep my scalp healthy once every 2-3 days,
    can I expect even better results in say, another 8 months of using this product? or will I most likely stay at about what you see in the photos because my genes blow so badly, and as my body gets use to the drug (some say this)? And

2) I really am interested in combining finasteride that I can get at costco and to cut into 4 pills (thats the advice everyone gives for young guys like me
    who want to have an affordable regiment) into my routine, and I'm not really worried about the sexual side affects that are seemingly blown out of porportion. However, if I do get side effects, do they honesly just fade out if I get off the drug? And if I find that I have no side effects, and I love the pill,
    judging from all that I said, what do you guys project could happen to my hair say... 6 months in from using finasteride, and what would then have been 14 months on 5% minoxidil (twice a day), and about the same length for using that nizoral shampoo. Can I be hopeful to actually get really thick on top, and to cover that bald spot almost completely? Man, that'd be awesome. Although I don't want to be naieve.

Oh, lol, and one more question, forgive me I'm like a kid in a candy store after stumbling upon a credible forum for once, but I read about minoxidil having
    a half-life of 22 hours, and that it means that its possible to only take minoxidil 5% once at night and still get the same results. Any truth to this?

Thanks so much guys!