+ Reply to Thread

Default Will Rogaine shedding affect my frontal hair so much?

Hi, I'm 19 and my I am barely able to cover my bald spots in the sides and front of my head. For the front of my head, I resort to squeezing the hairs from both sides together to cover the middle bald spot but I fear that the side hairs will bald soon.

I'm thinking about starting Rogaine in the summer so I don't have to worry much about the shedding in public, except with friends. So my issue is, I want to start Rogaine, but I'm worried about the shedding, Will most of my frontal hair fall out due to it, and second will the new hair which comes after 4-7 months be of the same quality or better so that I would still be able to maintain my hair?

I used Rogaine on my hairline last year, but only once a day. I had an aggressive shed on my hairline, but i think this is because i was on the edge of a massive shed anyway. The hair that regrows after the shed will be thicker and better quality, so it is well worth it.

I am going to start using rogaine again soon. I'm gong to use it once a week for the first month, twice a week for the second month, three times a week for the third month.....and so on. After 7 months, i'll be up to once daily. Hoping this way i can avoid the initial shed. I'm on propecia, so i'm not too fussed about incorporating minoxidil over 7 months.

Good luck !!

So what are the possibilities which could happen for me, (All I want is not to go bald for 3-5 more years and be able to do maintain my hairstyle, after that I don't mind shaving my head)

1) Rogaine works which means a great amount of shedding, then after 4-6 months I'll have my original hair density back and might be better, which at the end will prolong my hairloss since im not using propecia.

2) Rogaine doesn't work, no shedding?

3) Rogaine maintains my hair?

It's difficult to say how Rogaine will work for you. I've heard people say that there hair loss stopped, but i don't think this is the general case. If you are only 19 and already balding, i think it's highly unlikely Rogaine will stop your hair loss. It might improve the quality of your hair and possible slow down your loss a little. I think you need to try propecia. I'm assuming you don't want to try propecia because of what you have read online about permanent side effects. It's the only thing that may halt your hair loss until these new treatments come out, which to be honest, may take another 5-8 years IMO.

You should go and see a dermatologist and get his opinion on what you should do, but at your age you should be using the big 3 (propecia, rogaine & Nizoral). Propecia being by far the most important.

Good luck !!