+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default I know, I know, you guys are probably INUNDATED with this question...

Do I have a receding hairline?

I jest, I jest. Well, sort of. That is the big question that I'm going to be asking in this post, but I plan to give some background information as well.

Basically, I'm 17 years old. I have always had a slight widows peak (for as long as I can remember, anyway). But my hair has ALWAYS been extremely thick. However, over the past year or so, I've noticed that the corners of my hairline are becoming thinner/falling back. However, it is worse on one side than the other (refer to the image at the end of the post). I have told my mom about it off and on for the past year, but she says that I am crazy. I have asked my haircut person, and she just says it's my "mature hairline" coming in. EVEN my dermatologist (granted, this was about 8 or so months ago) gives me the "mature hairline" card. I don't believe them. I feel like, if was just my maturing hairline, it would be coming at a slower rate/a bit later on. So I'm a bit freaked out..

In terms of genetics, I don't think my mom's side has much of a history of balding. I know her dad was bald by the end of his life, but that is only because he had a severe head injury that required invasive treatment. This was also compounded by the fact that he has always had extremely thin hair (something that, as I mentioned earlier, is not an issue for me)...but other than that, all of the males in her family have a TON of hair.

So be my judge. Is my hairline receding?

If you say yes, continue reading. How do I treat it? I've read a lot about Rogaine, and I've thought about buying some and trying it out. But I've read a few instances of it causing MORE hair loss, which scares the heck outa me. I've also read about Propencia and its generic counterparts, but I'm terrified to use it because it isn't topical and has been known to cause drastic reductions in libido (something that, I personally believe, would be a huge deterrent to any male, particularly one as young as me ).

So yeah. What do I do? I'm a bit freaked out about all of this..

Hey dont worry!!! We'll have a cure in 5 years!!!

Hmm..It looks like my image didn't upload properly. Let's see if it works this time:

Your fine. Go live.

Hi jsewell94,

You have a natural and normal adult male hairline. I see no eveidence of thinning in your vertex or mid-anterior.

Go out and enjoy your life.

Yes. This forum does gets bambarded with young guys who are freaking out becuase they are developing an adult male hair line.

Wait, for real?! I am NOT balding?!

Like..you're totally serious. There are absolutely no signs of balding, whatsoever?!

I feel as if I could do 5000 backflips of jubilation!

Don't mean to put a dampner on things, but I do notice a bit of recession at the corner of the hairline that might indicate the start of mpb. It could just be a mature hairline, but how do you even define "mature"? I'm sure some would say mine is "mature" because it stills looks ok, but I've been quoted 2500 grafts for a hair transplant.

I'd suggest you keep an eye on it. Maybe take photos every 6 months and compare.

Two important things to consider: do you have any baldness in your family? And do you know you can get tested for MPB? This is your starting point.

I'm writing this because I was told throughout my early 20s that I was overreacting. Now it's too late to fix my hairline without surgery. I wish people would be a little more careful before dismissing potential cases of MPB, because comparably it looks "fine". It looks "fine" for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Yes. This forum does gets bambarded with young guys who are freaking out becuase they are developing an adult male hair line.
    "An adult male hair line" is still hair loss. How far it goes depends on genetics and whether anything is done to stop it. If people are only told "it's a normal adult hair line" then they'll not do anything to stop it and will be back here in 5 years time with a Norwood 2 or worse.

chrisis,

A norwood 2 IS an adult mature male hair line. I am beginning to think you don't actually know what the norwood numbers actually are or actually mean. To help you out:

A Norwood 1 is no hair loss as all, not even an adult mature male hair line. It is very rare for Caucasian males to maintain Norwood 1 past puberty.

A Norwood 2 is an adult mature male hairline. Yes it is possible that it could progress further. It would be very natural for it to do that. However at this point it is technically not MPB. You need to look for thinning in the mid-anterior and vertex areas to determine if it might become MPB.

A Norwood 3 is deaper temple recession and is therefore considered MPB. It may stop there and stay that way for many years though.

jsewell94 is a Norwood 2, which is an adult mature male hair line. He has no visible signs of thinning in his mid-anterior or vertex. Yes it could progress beyond this but there is no way to tell if it will. jsewell94 needs keep an eye on his mid-anterior and vertex - and look to the male members from both sides of his family if he is going to try to predict if it will progress further and become MPB. As it is now, jsewell94 does not have MPB. There is no need to do anything more than keep an eye on it so he will know if it progresses.

Yes chrisis. You are over reacting.