I know, I know, you guys are probably INUNDATED with this question...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tracy C
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by gmonasco
    Finasteride has very little efficacy for preventing loss at the hairline. It works primarily on the vertex.
    This medicine does not care where on your head the hair loss is. It simply blocks the hormone that triggers hereditary hair loss. With that said, I am not so sure it is even possible for a caucasian male to prevent the adult mature male hairline from developing. It is genetically coded for almost all caucasian males, even for those few who never suffer with MPB.

Comment

• chrisis
      • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Tracy C
      Did you even read my post?
      My point is that your initial post told jsewell94 to go out and enjoy his life. No advice about keeping an eye on his hair, or even getting tested/checking his family background. That's why I chimed in and will continue to when I see these cases. The best ammunition against hair loss, especially at an early stage, is knowledge. If we're not going to inform people who come here with questions then might as well shut the forum down.

jsewell94 is me at 17 and I certainly would have appreciated better advice than I got, which was along the same lines as "it's fine".

Comment

• gmonasco
        Inactive
        • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Tracy C
        This medicine does not care where on your head the hair loss is. It simply blocks the hormone that triggers hereditary hair loss
        No, finasteride doesn't "care" where your hair loss is; nonetheless, it is demonstrably much, much less effective for maintaining hair in the hairline and temples than in the vertex.

Comment

• Tracy C
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by gmonasco
          No, finasteride doesn't "care" where your hair loss is; nonetheless, it is demonstrably much, much less effective for maintaining hair in the hairline and temples than in the vertex.
          Did you bother to read my whole post? Specifically the next line after that. They do go together you know - and it directly relates to this discussion.

Comment

• lucrio
            • Aug 2011

It seems that what is trying to be said is that finasteride reduces DHT that is being formed in the body, reducing hair loss to some degree all over the head. However it is up to the sensitivity of the hair follicle and not the mechanism of finasteride that determines how much hair loss will be reduced in any specific area.

Soooo.... because follicles at the hairline must be extra sensitive to the increased DHT that is produced as any male matures, there is little that can be done, even finasteride, to reduce DHT enough to keep hair at the outermost hairline.

I think everyone is agreeing on the same thing here, just some misinterpretation.

Comment

• lucrio
              • Aug 2011

As for jsewell94, I can see why you are concerned because 17 is a little early of an age to develop a mature hairline however that does not mean that it will escalate to male pattern baldness. A few guys from my high school class had similar hairlines and now a few years later are not any more bald. You could easily maintain your hairline for quite a few years before it worsens at all. I wouldn't start with any medications or topicals but do keep an eye on it, especially the density at the vertex and mid anterior. DON'T OBSSES OVER IT

And oh yeah, I don't see anything wrong with a mature looking hairline, it looks more mature, just as its name implies.

Comment

• UK_
                • Feb 2011

Do the alpecin baldness calculator

its the only proven method of knowing

Comment

• chrisis
                  • Feb 2012

The alpecin baldness calculator is a limited tool and more like a marketing gimmick in my opinion. He'd be much better off going to a professional and getting tested properly.

Comment

• henrysickle
                    • Mar 2011

hair looks fine, but i thought you needed to show off the hairline to determine thinning?

either way, you have good vocabulary.

Comment

• Tracy C
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by henrysickle
                      ...i thought you needed to show off the hairline to determine thinning?
                      The hair line alone is not enough. You need to show the mid-anterior and vertex. All you can tell from the hair line alone is that the person is male - unless of course the person is a Norwood III or greater.

Comment

Working...