+ Reply to Thread

Default Maintaining Hair!

I'm 20 years old and am experiencing hair loss. I've recently purchased Minoxidil 5% liquid and Nizoral 2%. I just have a few questions:

1) My goal is to maintain the hair I have right now for as long as possible. To maintain my hair for long-term, would it be better for me to use Minoxidil 1x a day or 2x? Does Minoxidil lose it's effectiveness faster if you are using it 2x a day versus 1x?

2) Which parts of my head should I apply Minoxidil? Should I apply it everywhere on the top of my head or just on the effected areas?

3) Let's say I use Minoxidil and after a few years it stops working, will the hair I gained or maintained be lost slowly or quickly?

If anyone can answer any of the above-mentioned questions, I would really appreciate it. Sorry if any of the questions sound dumb.

Another question I have is that one of side of my hairline is noticeably more receding than the other. Is this normal? Should I do anything about it?

Minoxidil is a hair growth stimulant. It does not block the hormone (DHT) that is triggering hereditary hair loss. Minoxidil doesn't "stop working". DHT eventually over powers Minoxidil's ability to help. With that said, the best way to hang on to the hair you have is to block DHT. The best way to hang on to the hair that you have and possibly grow some of what you've lost back is to block DHT and use Minoxidil.

Since Minoxidil doesn't stop working, it does not matter if you use it only once per day or twice per day in that respect. If you want to try to grow some of your lost hair back, you should use it twice per day.

Once DHT over powers Minoxidil's ability to help, you can slowly go off using it if you want to becuase at that point it isn't going to matter anyways. DHT is a very powerful androgen hormone. DHT will win eventually win if you choose not to control it. Just don't go off Minoxidil abruptly. Stopping this medicine abruptly can trigger a big shed. Go off slowly a little at a time if you want to stop using it.

You should apply Minoxidil in the areas that are thin. It works best on the vertex and mid-anterior. So apply it to the vertex and mid-anterior. You can dry the medicine off your fingers in your hair line if you want to before washing your hands.