+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Does rogaine foam help with dandruff?

Hello everyone,

I've been on minoxidil liquid 5% for over 5 months and my dandruff problem seems to have gotten worse. It is to the point where I shower and let my hair dry and I can still get massive amounts of flakes if I shake my hair afterwards. Not to mention the chronic itching =/

I am using nizoral 2% but it seems to be exacerbating my dandruff problem.. my hair feels more dry after I use it. I have not added any other dandruff shampoos to counter my problem. Has anyone used any products that seem to help it? I am using dove shampoo/conditioner regularly.

I am wondering if anyone else has had better experiences with using minoxidil foam for dandruff control?

Hopefully with the generic version coming out, I will give it a full shot at switching.

I use rogaine right now and it really causes me a lot of dandruff, but regular generic minoxidil is much worse because of the propylene glycol. But I discovered this great liquid you can get at any cvs or even grocery store, you've probably heard of it. It's called Witch Hazel. And every few nights ill soak my head in it. It kind of dissolves dead skin and breaks up dry or flaking skin. Wicked cheap, like 3 bucks for a bottle. Just kinda helps with flaking and dry scalp...give it a shot.

Hi Bromin,

I don't know which brand of liquid Minoxidil you are using but if you are using a generic sometimes just switching to a different brand of generic will resolve the issue. I have had no problems with Walmart's "Equate" brand generic liquid Minoxidil. I have seen generic foam on the shelf at both Walmart and Target. I am sure other retailers will follow soon. I have not yet tried the generic foam. I will give generic foam a try when my current supply of Rogaine foam runs out, which will be a while because a three month supply last me six months. I only use the foam once a day in the mornings. I use generic liquid Minoxidil in the evening.

I don't know how often you are using Nizoral but if you are using the 2% more than once per week you are using it too often.

Dr. Charles has recommended several times to use sulfate free shampoo. I decided to take that advice and started using Aveeno's "Pure Renewal" sulfate free shampoo and conditioner. I have been very happy with them since switching.

Take care,

Tracy

Thanks for the awesome advice guys.

@Highlander, do you know what anti-dandruff shampoo you are using?

@Tracy, I have been using kirkland brand from costco. Maybe I will try giving the walmart brand a shot. I still have a few days to use the coupon for rogaine foam so maybe I will try that also.

If you're using Kirkland's Minoxidil, then that's what is giving you flakes. I have no dandruff at all, but when I use Kirklands, I get a lot of flakes and itchiness. And it appears to look like a lot of dandruff. But it's just the dried minoxidil, I think it is. It's residue.

Anyways, my dermatologist advised me to stop using it. So I stopped using it a month ago and have been on Rogaine. Rogaine doesn't give me any flakes or itchiness.

Rogaine doesn't do anything wrong at all to me. I also must point out that Kirklands gave me headaches. The only problem with Rogaine, for me at least, is the price. I use to like Kirklands only because of the price. A lot of people say they're exactly the same thing, Roagine and Kirklands, but the propylene glycol in Kirklands makes my head itch, Rogaine does not have that. And I also remember Dr Lee's minoxidil didn't gave me flakes or itchiness and that didn't have PG.

I think I would gladly pay the extra to cure the ridiculous amount of residue that comes out of my head.

I find it hard to believe that it is the residue just because I still have it after I take extensive showers trying to remove all of it. Maybe it is very resistant to soap washings? Previous poster said witch hazel might be able to remove it.

I do want to try switching products however.

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    If you're using Kirkland's Minoxidil, then that's what is giving you flakes. I have no dandruff at all, but when I use Kirklands, I get a lot of flakes and itchiness. And it appears to look like a lot of dandruff. But it's just the dried minoxidil, I think it is. It's residue.

Anyways, my dermatologist advised me to stop using it. So I stopped using it a month ago and have been on Rogaine. Rogaine doesn't give me any flakes or itchiness.

Rogaine doesn't do anything wrong at all to me. I also must point out that Kirklands gave me headaches. The only problem with Rogaine, for me at least, is the price. I use to like Kirklands only because of the price. A lot of people say they're exactly the same thing, Roagine and Kirklands, but the propylene glycol in Kirklands makes my head itch, Rogaine does not have that. And I also remember Dr Lee's minoxidil didn't gave me flakes or itchiness and that didn't have PG.

I just ordered Kirkland's and read this after. Damn, now i'm afraid of using it. Why do they have different components!?

hey Bromin, was Kirkland's the one you were using?

Yes, I use Kirkland brand. I've been on it for 7 months so far.

I believe I started getting bad dandruff around the 2-3 month mark. The dandruff isn't overly noticeable however. It's only when I scratch my head and shake that it comes out.

Try Vichy shampoo for dandruff, it works for me. Is there a way to know if this minoxidil will give me dandruff as well?

Quote Originally Posted by fab View Post
    Why do they have different components!?
    Who knows why. The active ingredient (Minoxidil) will be the same medicine but the carrier solution can be quite different.