+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Will minoxidil work forever?

I keep hearing about guys who become bald after using it for 7 years or so or when they turn 35

Thumbs up

Hi

Minoxidil will only perform a certain function. Essentially, it is a growth stimulant but it won't block dht, and therefore the underlying cause of mpb. For that you would need Propecia. The 2 of them together do provide a synergistic effect as they address the problem on differant levels. Used in isolation, it will probably buy you some time while you debate incorporating other therapies.

I was in a position for about ten years whereupon I thought Minoxidil would "do the business" alone, as it were. It did help and luckily I did'nt lose much ground, but I ultimately chose to add Propecia a few years ago. Personally that was a good move for me. I guess it depends what your individual situation is. Contact an IAHRS doctor and get an expert opinion.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by mkay View Post
    Will minoxidil work forever?
    Eventually DHT can overpower Minoxidil's ability to stimulate hair to grow. The stronger of the two will likely win - and DHT is pretty potent. Increasing the strength of the Minoxidil you use to something above 5% will not help. Lowering DHT helps. Your best chances of arresting hereditary hair loss and possibly reversing some of it is to use both a medicine to block DHT formation (or reception for females) and a medicine to stimulate hair to grow.

So will minox combined with Finasteride work for a long time? or will I eventually loose everything I gained from Minox and its just the Fin trying to save my hair?

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Eventually DHT can overpower Minoxidil's ability to stimulate hair to grow. The stronger of the two will likely win - and DHT is pretty potent. Increasing the strength of the Minoxidil you use to something above 5% will not help. Lowering DHT helps. Your best chances of arresting hereditary hair loss and possibly reversing some of it is to use both a medicine to block DHT formation (or reception for females) and a medicine to stimulate hair to grow.

Thumbs up

Did you watch / listen to the last episode of the Bald Truth?.. Spencer's friend Rafael was a guest on there. He has maintained his hair on Propecia for 14 years with no further loss. There are no guarantees but we have to make do with what we have. Arm youself appropriately and hope for the best. I think new treatments will soon surpass the effectiveness of the current modalities we have sooner rather than later!.

Quote Originally Posted by khan View Post
    So will minox combined with Finasteride work for a long time?
    For some it will, for others it won't. The only way to find out is to use the medicines.

Quote Originally Posted by 8868alex View Post
    I think new treatments will soon surpass the effectiveness of the current modalities we have sooner rather than later!.
    I feel the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by 8868alex View Post
    I think new treatments will soon surpass the effectiveness of the current modalities we have sooner rather than later!.

Yea that would be great! But in his show with Rafael as guest, Spencer says he expects the cost to be a minimum of 20k atleast initally. Its not alot if its a permenant fix, but I was hoping for maybe a little. I guess I will have to start saving soon.

Anyone know if minoxidil is effective if only used once a day instead of twice?

Quote Originally Posted by khan View Post
    Spencer says he expects the cost to be a minimum of 20k atleast initally.
    I don't think he was serious about that. If you go back and re-listen to the program he states shortly after that he thinks it will cost about the same as a good hair transplant, which is not usually as high as 20k - which is also in line with what David Hall from Replicel said. Personally, I think the cost would likely depend on how much you need. For example the cost for someone like me who only needs more density should not be as high as it would be for a male who is a Norwood VI or a female who is a Ludwig III.

In any event, it is usually best to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. So save up as if it will be 20K. That way if it isn't, you have some extra money left over to go out and celebrate with after your treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by john2399 View Post
    Anyone know if minoxidil is effective if only used once a day instead of twice?
    Yes it is. It is not as effective as it is if used twice per day but it is effective - and better than not using it at all if you need it. Personally, I think it is probably better to start off slow by using it only once a day every other day then gradually work up to the full twice a day dose over time.

What some people do, myself included, is use Rogaine foam in the morning because it is so convenient and stealthy, then use the generic liquid in the evening because it is a lot less expensive. If you are in the U.S., generic foam became available this month. So that can save a little more money too.