+ Reply to Thread

Default Considering transplant, concerned about shock loss

Hi all, I am in my early 30's, have been receding on the hair line and thinning on crown for a few years. I am strongly considering a transplant for the hairline, and have been on propecia/rogaine for a few months, hoping that will take care of the crown.

On the hairline, I use toppik every day and find that it is helpful.

I had a free consultation with Bosley,and Dr. Robert Leonard, and came away very impressed with Leonard (anyone have experience with him?)

Anyway, the items that concern me about the transplant are largely centered around detection. What I am hoping to determine is the following:

1) How concerned should I be about "shock loss?

2) Does shock loss occur where the hair is taken from, or where it is transplanted to?

3) When shock loss does occur, how widespread is it? Are we talking losing all existing hairs, or a negligible percentage, or somewhere in between?

4) How quickly after HT can one go back into the world undetected? I do not generally get a lot of time off of work, not can I wear a hat to the office. 8-9 days is probably the max.

Attached for reference is a shot of my hairline from a few months ago.

Thanks everyone for your input!

--David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000947.jpg

Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	14156  

Your hair dosent even look bad. If i were you i would just be happy with keeping what you have. Why risk doing a hair transplant when you a have a decent head of hair for a 30 year old. Be happy for what you got dude!!!

Agreed
    You don't need a HT - if you get one you could end up goign down the never ending road
    And stay away from Bosley
    Try buzzing it first
    Swear to God, if you can buzz it and feel comfortable you will save yourself alot of grief

Senior Member Still-Researching's Avatar

Agree with the guys above. You have a mature hairline for a 30 year old with only some thinning. Recommend to explore different haircuts and try at least once to shave down to a grade 3-4 clipper, before you go any further.

Also please research some more about the different HT options i.e. FUE or FUT and the advantages and disadvantages of these. Also review carefully your family hair loss history and consider your willingness to go on Propecia etc.

For your questions:
    The risk of shockloss is reduced significant if you go to a top doc. Of course in case you plant grafts near and around existing hairs in an area that is already receding, the risk increase.

You can suffer shockloss both in recipient area and donor. The recipient area is probably your biggest risk, as you seem to need hair in between other hairs, but the top docs would then use some more grafts to give you the full look that you want.

For time off - I had a FUE HT 50 days ago and I still have 20% redness left - so you will need concealer and makeup to go back to work after 2-3 weeks. Earlier than 2 weeks I think is dreaming/utopia.

Finally if you are serious do some more research and spend time on here to make your own list of top docs and you should visit 2 minimum and do not be afraid to travel.

Senior Member Still-Researching's Avatar

Ohhh Forgot - stay far away from Bosley....

Heh, my hair is worse than yours, and I'm 20. To reiterate what others have said, you don't need a transplant.

Default Thank you

Thank you everyone for your feedback, it is appreciated.