PGD2 causes hair loss according to Dr. Cotsarelis

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mojo Risin
    • Mar 2011

And aren't you guys tired of seeing every single findings getting reported by media as a POTENTIAL CURE FOR BALDNESS. I mean ... it gets so frustrating. How many times did we read that in the past 10 years ?

Comment

• Pate
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Mojo Risin
      And aren't you guys tired of seeing every single findings getting reported by media as a POTENTIAL CURE FOR BALDNESS. I mean ... it gets so frustrating. How many times did we read that in the past 10 years ?
      Sure. But that's the media's fault, not Cotsarelis's. The media don't give a damn about prostaglandin inhibitors and their effect on GPR44 receptor. All they care about is that they can print POTENTIAL CURE FOR BALDNESS and watch the paper sales and the advertising revenue roll in.

I think you're picking on the wrong target. Before fully effective treatments of hair loss can be developed we need to know the exact mechanisms that cause it. Cotsarelis is working on this and doing some groundbreaking research. And if he can ensure continued funding for his research with the occasional media press release, then I say good on him. I'd much rather that than that his centre goes bust through lack of funds, hair loss research comes to a dead end and Cotsarelis goes off to study the life cycle of earwigs, or something.

Comment

• Thermal
        • Nov 2010

Sodium cromoglycate (SCG) found to inhibit prostaglandin D2 (PGD2)

Sodium cromoglycate (SCG) found in eye drops

I'm gonna try it! Doesn't look like a particularly toxic substance if it is safe enough to put into eyes.

Comment

• gutted
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Thermal

I'm gonna try it! Doesn't look like a particularly toxic substance if it is safe enough to put into eyes.
          you could try this -> quercetin

has been shown to inhibit pgd2.

i think inhibiting pgd2, would yeild really good results at the temples/hairline!

Comment

• UK_
            • Feb 2011

So... After they tested the hair follicle that was immune to the effects of PGD2... was it still affected by DHT?

I can't believe after all this time, this is the best Follica can come out with - I thought back in 2008 they were "just around the corner" lol - another 5 years I take it now? so we're all set for 2017? What happened to the lithium study?

Im guessing Histogen will be releasing some Phase II data at the medical convention this May.

Comment

• sausage
              • Jan 2012

Please someone hurry up with a cure. Having a bad day today. Need hair now!

You can have all my money if you can get all my hair back. You can have my Xbox and all my clothes take everything and give me hair.

Comment

• elvispresley
                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Thermal

let me understand you are going to try to put some eye drops on the bald spot , i understood correctly? i can also try depending on the cost of the eye drops... let me know thx

Comment

• bananana
                  Inactive
                  • Feb 2012

Originally posted by elvispresley
                  let me understand you are going to try to put some eye drops on the bald spot , i understood correctly? i can also try depending on the cost of the eye drops... let me know thx
                  Damn this is exciting!
                  Guys - I would try the same thing but with added scalproller - I guess it would improve the penetration.

Comment

• gutted
                    • Jan 2011

i dont think this new to george and people at UPENN

heres a patent filled in 2007 by them, describing the use of prostglandins to treat mpb, acne, rosacea, prostate cancer, and benign prostatic hypertrophy.

This invention provides methods of treating androgenetic alopecia (AGA), acne, rosacea, prostate cancer, and benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH), comprising the step of contacting a subject with a compound or composition capable of decreasing prostaglandin D2 (PGD2) level or activity, a downstream signaling or receptor pathway thereof, or prostaglandin D2 synthase level or activity; methods of stimulating hair growth, comprising the step of contacting a subject with a compound or composition capable of increasing or decreasing the activity or level of a target gene of the present invention, or with a protein product of the target gene or an analogue or mimetic thereof; and methods of testing for AGA and evaluating therapeutic methods thereof, comprising measuring PGD2 levels.

i suspect they knew about this a long time ago.

Comment

• sausage
                      • Jan 2012

"Up to ten drugs have been identified that can stem PGD2’s activity and may soon be available to buy as creams or ointments."

How soon, if drugs already exist what are they currently treating and why can't we just take them?

or is it a case that they need to refine the drug to suit male pattern baldness and want to market as a hairloss cure including having packaging specific to hairloss?

It is not known if the drug would regrow hair but it should stop it. Hopefully it can grow hair otherwise it won't be much use to me. Although if I kept what I have it would be easier for me to have a HT as i'd have enough donor.

Comment

• UK_
                        • Feb 2011

Scientists at the University of Pennsylvania have identified a scalp chemical that stops hair from growing. Excitingly, drugs that block the protein have already been developed.

There's a video at the bottom if you havent already seen it.

Comment

• clandestine
                          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by UK_
                          http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ale-years.html

There's a video at the bottom if you havent already seen it.
                          Title is hilarious; "Cure for baldness in could be on sale within five years"

Hear that? Only 5 more years, guys!

Comment

• elvispresley
                            • Jun 2011

i found this article maybe is interesting is a test :

so guys lets make a list of product who contain the SCG . i would like to try

do u think it could be dangerous and have side effects?

Comment

• UK_
                              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by clandestine
                              Title is hilarious; "Cure for baldness in could be on sale within five years"

Hear that? Only 5 more years, guys!
                              I know ... tell me about it.

Comment

• Losing_It
                                • Jun 2011

Now where did I leave that time machine? 2017 here I come. Cotsarelis, the original internet troll

Comment

Working...