+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

The study was funded by the NIH, the Skin Disease Research Center, the Pennsylvania Department of Health, the Edwin and Fannie Gray Hall Center for Human Appearance at University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, the American Skin Association, the Dermatology Foundation, and L'Oreal.

Cotsarelis and one of his co-authors are co-inventors of a patent owned by the University of Pennsylvania describing the PGD2 pathway as a target for inhibiting hair loss, among other claims. One of the other study authors is an inventor of a patent owned by the Gillette Corporation to use PGD2 to inhibit hair growth. One of the authors works for Merck and another works for Allergan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post
    The study was funded by the NIH, the Skin Disease Research Center, the Pennsylvania Department of Health, the Edwin and Fannie Gray Hall Center for Human Appearance at University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, the American Skin Association, the Dermatology Foundation, and L'Oreal.

Cotsarelis and one of his co-authors are co-inventors of a patent owned by the University of Pennsylvania describing the PGD2 pathway as a target for inhibiting hair loss, among other claims. One of the other study authors is an inventor of a patent owned by the Gillette Corporation to use PGD2 to inhibit hair growth. One of the authors works for Merck and another works for Allergan.
    so we are *&@!ED?

Does it mean only those companies have the right to work on something with PGD2 ? If so, yeah, we're f*cked.

In a capitalist system, there's just no interest whatsoever to permanently cure baldness ... or any disease for that matter.

This is huge, regardless of how negative people are on these forums. Not going to visit this site anymore for a long time, it's healthier that way. Baldness will soon be cured, i have faith.

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Default BoSox,

I'm in complete agreement with you but I myself will stick around and I think you should, as well.
    There will always be pessimistic naysayers in life no matter the topic. Its unfortunate I know, but a fact of life.
    Even with cancer research. There are those who would want to believe that international corporations prefer not to cure cancer because without a cure cancer it is a huge money maker. A very flawed philosophy for many many reasons.
    Spencer, chime in on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox View Post
    This is huge, regardless of how negative people are on these forums. Not going to visit this site anymore for a long time, it's healthier that way. Baldness will soon be cured, i have faith.
    Do! I haven't been on this forum for over a month because of the same reasons. Just revisited this forum because of this news I heard and I'm already sick of the posts here again. Not that they're only incredibly stupid, uninformed people believe the stuff they say and get disappointed.

Huge finding, period

bye

Does it mean only those companies have the right to work on something with PGD2 ? If so, yeah, we're f*cked.

In a capitalist system, there's just no interest whatsoever to permanently cure baldness ... or any disease for that matter.
    Why not?

Baldness can cause depression, which in turn can cause men from not being productive at work, which in turn causes companies to lose money.

Forget about a cure, but I am sure that drug companies can, if they are, as you say you are, create something that is considerably better then minox and propecia. That way, they will keep on raking income in by having products which people will without any hesitation use.

And even if say they do cure baldness, you know what, there will always be bald/balding people with every new generation. This is such a huge market, stupid to think otherwise.

I doubt it. Patents need to be specific, you can patent a compound or a process that works via the PGD2 pathway but you can't patent the pathway itself.

Since there are already several drugs in development that act on PGD2 I don't think this patent will stop anyone else working on it.

To be honest I'd rather have Merck and Allergan owning these patents than some two-bit biotech start-up. At least Merck has the resources to develop it if it's worth developing.

So, I am using a 0.75mm dermaroller with minoxidil anyway, which I hope is not allowing too much minox into bloodstream, and I am all for experimenting with some topically applied Optrex Allergy on a small spot for a few months. I don't want that getting into the bloodstream either.

Do you think a 0.75mm is the right length then?

Is Umar right about it probably not going to work?

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by maxhair View Post
    So, I am using a 0.75mm dermaroller with minoxidil anyway, which I hope is not allowing too much minox into bloodstream, and I am all for experimenting with some topically applied Optrex Allergy on a small spot for a few months. I don't want that getting into the bloodstream either.

Do you think a 0.75mm is the right length then?

Is Umar right about it probably not going to work?
    0.75 mm is a big bastard.
    Does it make your scalp bloody or very red?

I use 0.5 and sometimes it hurts when I press it harder.
    Anyways, I was looking into eye drops prices, and I don't know how economical it is because 10 ml costs around $10 + shipping. 10 ml wouldn't last very long.

How often and how long should one use it to see some results?
    Any guesses?