+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Does fin really regrow recently lost hair?

I've heard that it's possible for finasteride to help you grow "recently lost" hair. So my question is, how recent does the hair loss have to be for there to be any chance of regrowth? I'm not expecting much regrowth if I get any at all, but since most of my loss is pretty recent (hairline receded about 1/4 cm within 6 months of starting fin) and not very extensive at all, do I have a decent chance of getting at least a little regrowth? I do see fine vellus hairs in the receded region where the normal hair used to be. Are any of those hairs likely to thicken up to become terminal hairs? I will be perfectly satisfied if the fin helps me hold on to my existing hair without regrowth, but I think a little regrowth would be pretty sweet.

I guess I should add that I'm also using minox, nizoral and biotin supplements in addition to the fin.

Thanks!

One more question: does the fact that I'm young mean my chances of regrowth are higher? I'm about a month shy of my 22nd birthday. I've heard younger=better in terms of regrowth chances. Can anyone attest to this?

Bumpity bump.

<.< >.> Anyone wanna answer?

Senior Member Still-Researching's Avatar

You will get different answers from different people who have tried it. It usually stops hairloss either completely (my case) or slows it significantly down - I would guess for 90% on the entire head - hairline, mid scalp and crown (personal research - I am not a doctor).

For regrowth it is mainly in mid scalp and crown - there are only few cases maybe up to 20% that gets some regrowth in hairline. My guess is that between 40-50% gets some kind of regrowth in the crown (mine filled in from starting to thin and I do not have clear signs of thinning in my crown any longer).

My only worry for fin - is if it will stop working in 10 years, but then again - I would have had 10 years with good hair...

Forgot - I would personally not start FIN if I was 15-17 years old but around 18 I guess would be ok, in early 20'ies is a good start, you will have a good chance to keep what you have for your 30-40'ies.

The more recent your hair loss is - the better the chance of regrowth. My hairloss in the crown started some 2-3 years ago in August and I started FIN in January - after 6 months it had filled most of it in...

Quote Originally Posted by Still-Researching View Post
    My only worry for fin - is if it will stop working in 10 years, but then again - I would have had 10 years with good hair...
    I have been told by someone on here that works in the industry that Fin does not stop working. It works for as long as you take it.

Thanks - I hope you are/he is right