+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Horrible side effects of minoxidil?

Hey guys I've been on minoxidil for a little over a month now. I've noticed that this product is somehow making my skin feel dull and lifeless around the hairline, i'll be damned but I think it's taking the collagen out of the skin near the hairline, My ears are kinda red and feel swollen a little bit, I'm seriously thinking that minoxidil doesn't go very well with me.

Recently people have been telling me that I look a little tired... However nothing has changed in my routine except for adding minoxidil and taking hairomega 3 in 1 multivitamin.

From what I've read minoxidil (foam or liquid) can potentially cause many side effects including black rings under eyes, wrinkles around forehead, and many many other things. the thing that scares me is that it pretty much will grow back your hair at the expense of making you look older....

I found this info just now from what other people have posted about their experience with minoxidil.

http://www.publichealthforums.com/h-33-minoxidil.html

Can I have your experiences with minoxidil?

I've heard similarly. Perhaps try nanoxidil, rather than minoxidil. Apparently there is a lesser instance of sides.

Thanks I'll look into nanoxidil.

Currently I think I'm still 'normal looking' but I'd hate to look back and say "damn this sh*t is aging me so quickly, I wish I didn't start minoxidil!" Like I said earlier it seems like foam or liquid are the same story... The liquid is just worse because of potential layers of minoxidil flaking on the scalp and the greasy hair...

First I was scared off of using finasteride (for many reasons) and now minoxidil is apparently no saint either...

damn it I'm a little upset.

Tracy if you're reading this I'd like to see what you think of it.

I've been slapping Minox foam on my hairline for over ten months now-can't say I've noticed any rapid ageing facially-can't say I've noticed much regrowth at all either..

Quote Originally Posted by Jcm800 View Post
    I've been slapping Minox foam on my hairline for over ten months now-can't say I've noticed any rapid ageing facially-can't say I've noticed much regrowth at all either..
    I'd probably think that it's probably helping you keep what you have at least.

Maybe that website I found with all the people complaining is a hoax? I dunno, but I've read that minoxidil can age your face and cause a lot of different issues on a few different blogs and forums. It's really unsettling since I think it's affecting me. =(

I can only hope that gradually discontinuing use over the course of a few weeks will allow me to keep my hairline....

Hmm well when I started using it my hairline was in fairly good shape, a month after it was thinned quite noticeably. And it never came back, don't think it will now.
    I had a quick look at that page, perhaps I'm lucky and get away with those complaints, starting to wonder if I'm using fake stuff too, but I think it's real.

I have just bought some Regaine foam, woop woop, lets see if this stuff really works.

Quote Originally Posted by sausage View Post
    ... lets see if this stuff really works.
    Some words of advice... Run you hand under cold water to avoid the medicine melting in your hand before you can apply it to your scalp. Make sure to massage the medicine into your scalp and not into your hair. Focus your application of the medicine on your vertex and mid-anterior areas. You can dry the medicine off your fingers at your hair line if you want to. Then wash your hands.

Start slow and work your way up to the full twice per day dose. Use it only once per day every other day for two or three weeks. Then use it once per day every day for another two or three weeks. Then use it twice per day every day. After four to six months of using it twice per day every day, you should start seeing small peach fuzz hairs starting to grow. After about a full year of using it twice per day, those small peach fuzz hairs start looking like normal hairs. It takes time but if you stick with it, it should work. It worked great for me.

ZD something as simple as a small change in the formulation can cause devastating effects. Case in point I was using minoxidil about 30 years ago. Yes that’s right before it was approved like only a handful of others. I never experienced a problem. My experience has also included Xadrox 12.5% when it was first formulated and then I believe it went to 15% no problems. I used Peter Proctor’s formulation back in the 80’s no problem. But with Rogaine foam it was a complete horror show as the effect on my face was immediate and thankfully it went away shortly after stopping. I no longer use topicals as my experience is they are a waste of time and money but that is just my opinion.

I also suggest anyone looking for advice to ask the person giving it about their own experience along with their age and how long they have followed this industry as it means something.

Quote Originally Posted by z06guy View Post
    From what I've read...
    As with any other medication, some people are allergic to the active ingredient. Your description sounds like an allergic reaction, not a side effect. If what you are describing were actually side effects of the medicine, women would not go anywhere near it. Many women have to use Minoxidil, more than you realize. I have been using Minoxidil myself for over four years - and I easily look ten to fifteen years younger than I actually am.

The actual possible side effects of Minoxidil are very mild and well tolerated by most who use it. Most who use Minoxidil do not experience the possible side effects at all. However, if you are allergic to the active ingredient, and it sounds like you are, you should not use it at all.