+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dermmatch for blondish hair

hello all

I'd like to give dermmatch a try, but I am a little confused when it comes to what colour I should choose. My hair colour is sort of dark blonde - a bit ligther in the summer. I hope someone can give me some advice on this

Hi the_dude78

From one "dude" to another.....I might be able to help.
    I used dermatch before and for a little while after my HT. I also have blonde hair. Well, It's more of a dark blonde, light brown. I tried the light brown first but it left a yellowish tint to my hair in direct sunlight. I then switched to the medium brown and it looked okay if I didn't use to much. But it also had an orange-ish tint to it in direct sun. I then ordered the dark brown and mixed it with the med brown and that seemed to do the trick. I know it can be costly but I would try ordering 2 colors just in case your hair color is between one of the 2 you pick.
    I also found a good way to apply it and it seemed undetectable.....
    Wash your hair and then let it dry. get the applicator wet and squeeze out any excess water. then apply the dermatch to your scalp at the base of your hairs, but not to much that you coat the entire hair - just the base of the hair shaft and not too close to your hair line either. Then wet your finger and rub the product in and fade out the edges. The object is to get the product on the scalp and the base of your hairs without bringing it to the tips of the hairs. That's when I think you get the "strange" tints in direct sunlight. Blow dry and that's it. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have questions. Good luck!

Thanks for the answer and very good advice!

Hi the_dude78,

I need to say that the first time I tried Dermatch I was very disappointed. I am a red head and there was only one choice, red. Their red as you see it on the screen looked a lot like my hair color, though not exactly the same but it was the closest match they had. When it arrived I opened the lid and looked at the product. The actual product in person doesn't look anything like what I see on my screen. It doesn't look like a natural red head at all. It looks more like clown hair orange. After putting it in my hair it looked even more like clown hair orange. So I gave up on Dermatch... ...until my doctor suggested giving it another try in another color. So I got the color my doctor suggested, which does not look like my hair color at all, but low and behold it was a match. It looks wonderful. I am wearing it right now for the first time - and I haven't felt this pretty with my own hair in a very very long time. The only problem I can see with this is I won't want to wear my bicycle helmet anymore when I go riding - because I want people to see my hair.

I have been converted. My disappointment has turned into amazement. This is a truly amazing product - if you can get the color to match, which sadly is not as straight forward as you would hope. I just don't see how it is possible to get the color right without samples. Small samples the size of eye shadow would be perfect - just enough to experiment with.

Anyways, I'm rambling with delight and not making sense now. I hope you find the color that is right for you. When you do, I am sure you will be happy with Dermatch.

Take care,

Tracy

Hi Tracy C

I'm glad you found a color that worked well for you and I hope you're still happy about the product. I decided to try out Joan Rivers Great Hair Day - simply because it is much cheaper than Dermmatch and I must say I was really really disappointed.

First of all, it makes you scalp black! It looks like some one took a piece of wet coal and smeared it all over my head, and I was really careful not to over do it. Especially in sunlight it looks bad. And the brush that comes with it is hopeless. If not careful all the powder will drop at one spot making one picth black spot. I'm not at all happy with this. A lot of people praise it and don't understand it at all

So now I'm gonna order some dermmatch. I hope it looks better in sunlight and overall is less obvious than the Joan Rivers'.

Hi the_dude78,

I've never tried Joan River's "great hair day". Something about it just turned me off. I have asked my friends to be honest with me about how my hair looks with Dermmatch. These are ladies I hang out with regularly. We work out together, go shopping, lunch, dinner and and stuff so they have seen me in all different kinds of situations and lighting. They all tell me they cannot tell I am wearing it. One of those friends has started using it herself. My stylist is so impressed with it that she is considering carrying it at her salon (she is part owner of the salon). I use light brown even though my hair is red. It looks very different in your hair than it does in the compact. While it is in the compact, it only looks somewhat almost kinda right. But when it is in my hair it matches perfectly. I don't understand how it does that. It just does that.

I hope this helps. Take care,

Tracy

can anyone confirmn dermmatch raising their price from ~25 to 47? went online to give it a another try the other day and was kinda surprised by the price. i actually threw away 2 brand new discs cuz it wasn't working for me last year.

Hi PvH,

I've never known it to be less than $47.00. It is also $47.00 at Walmart. I think the price is fair considering how well it works. I wouldn't mind if it were less expensive. The compact seems like it will last a long time though.

Thing is the colour doesn't necessarily have to be an exact match to your hair colour. If it's close, it will greatly reduce the hair scalp contrast thus creating the illusion of a full head of hair.

I couldn't find Dermmatch at my local Walmart so I'm gonna order it online. Tracy C, you have stated that Dermmatch does not match your natural hair color at all; you're a redhead and you use a light brown shade. I'm probably a medium brown (maybe closer to light brown in the front) so maybe I should get a black shading of Dermmatch?