+ Reply to Thread
    jholcollege11

Default scalp micropigmentation

Hey everyone, I am kind of new to this blogging thing so I appologize if I have not done it correctly. I'm 30 years old and have experienced hair loss since about age 23. I have been taking propecia and rogaine since about that time. I went to Bosley twice over the past seven years and both times they have told me I am not a candidate and after learning of FUE scars I do not believe I would want them anyway. I have recently discovered scalp micropigmentation-the artistic procedure of tattooing thousands of tiny replicated hair follicles onto the scalp. I love this idea b/c I already shave my head and like the look minus my big bald spot and a couple of other fleshy looking areas up there. If I could just have these fleshy areas filled in so to speak, then I feel I could, at the very least, put it out of my head (pun not intended) and stop being so self-conscious. I just want to enjoy life again and not feel that humiliated feeling when I get that look like "oh, he's going bald, poor thing." I hate that look LOL. Anyway, Ive researched and narrowed my choices to Good Look Ink in Minnesota and Artistry Concepts in Florida. If anyone has any information about either of these places, the procedure in general, or would just like to share their opinion on this type of procedure, it would be much appreciated as I learn alot from compiling many opinions and facts. Thanks again everyone!

Thumbs down

Most knowledgeable people on this forum will probably tell you to avoid it. I personally think it's just a good marketing gimmick that will only cause you more problems down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by jholcollege11 View Post
    ...or would just like to share their opinion on this type of procedure.
    I am not a fan of scalp tattoo's to conceal hair loss. It just doesn't look natural. Also, who knows what effect this type of procedure will have on future treatments when they become available. Personally, I think we are just too close to break through treatments that will be game changers in the battle against hereditary hair loss. I would not want to do any damage to my scalp right now.

If you haven't already done so, check out Replicel and Histogen. These are just two biotech companies that are developing better solutions for hereditary hair loss. Personally, I feel really good about the solutions from both of these companies. Whichever of these two brings their solution to market first, that is the treatment I am going to go with. I just need to top off to add some density.

BTW, since you said you have been using Propecia and Rogaine for seven years, I am curious to know what your hair looked like before starting treatment - and now after seven years of treatment. If Bosely said you are not a candidate for transplant surgery, I would think your hair loss can't be much. Do you just need a top off?

Actually it can look very very natural, if combined with real hair.

While transplant can work, it doesn't quite work for men who prefer a buzzed style. Pigments can help existing hair look more dense. People of darker skin tone seem to have better results. Or caucasians with dark hair.

I too am hopeful of Replicel and Histogen. I really hope someone will bring a treatment to the market in the next 2 or 3 years, but noone knows what will happen.

Scalp pigments, can, like transplants, work. I personally think the best results are for pigments amongst alot of hair. Transplant + pigments is my future.

One good point tracy makes is how pigments will effect future cell based therapies. Anyone got opinions or knowledge on this?

jholcollege11

Smile new technology

Thanks to you all for the feedback. Tracy, you make a very good point, and thank you for those two sites- I obviously have not done my homework as well as I thought. I was impressed with the Replicel site's video, and had to go back and look at my college A&P book in the integumentary section LOL. If replicated dermal sheath cells could stimulate dormant hair follicles to grow, that would be amazing. I do not know enough about this field to contribute anything productive. I did ask Dr. Rassman from LA if he thought the scalp micropigmentation process could possibly cause the scalp to not accept either of these two future biotech solutions, and I am just waiting on a response.

jholcollege11

Hey Tracy, to answer your questions I do still have an ok amount on top but it is all very thin. On my crown is a bald spot with very thin micro hairs. Bosley explained to me that since i still had so many follicles on top that they couldnt do fue without damaging existing hair follicles. When i began taking these meds at 23 i had very minor hair loss and i actually did notice added density, but very minor. However, three years later I went on out of country trip and neglected my finasteride and rogaine for three months. BIG MISTAKE!!!! LOL I lost so much hair on my crown area, hairline and top. Three months of no DHT blocking and nature took its course. I immediately went back on both meds the day i got back to states and my hair has remained exactly the same since that point- i didnt and will never get back to the hairloss condition i was in at age 23 but have lost no more since out of country trip. Bottom line- for me these only prevent further hairloss, at least for now, but do not grow more hair.

jholcollege11

Well I guess there are not too many people interested in SMP right now. I understand b/c it is still a fairly new procedure and shaving your head is kind of a must when you have this done. Some folks do not want to ever shave their head and I can understand that. For me though, I already have been doing it for a couple of years now, and I have a young looking face, so with a darker scalp and hairline to frame my face, Id be pretty happy. I am happy to say that I have given my deposit and on May 1st I will have this done. Wish me luck! Thanks to all who posted feedback.

Thumbs up hi

did u do micro-pigmentation? how does it look? I am thinking about it too, Where u go , I live in LA . thanks
    George

Quote Originally Posted by jholcollege11 View Post
    Well I guess there are not too many people interested in SMP right now. I understand b/c it is still a fairly new procedure and shaving your head is kind of a must when you have this done. Some folks do not want to ever shave their head and I can understand that. For me though, I already have been doing it for a couple of years now, and I have a young looking face, so with a darker scalp and hairline to frame my face, Id be pretty happy. I am happy to say that I have given my deposit and on May 1st I will have this done. Wish me luck! Thanks to all who posted feedback.