+ Reply to Thread

Default Propecia and SSRIs?

I've never had a problem taking Propecia before, but since introducing Fluoxetine, I noticed I started to get sides. I also read another user had sides will combining the two.

Just wondered would an SSRI exacerberate any effect the Propecia was having?

Fluoexitine has many potential side effects. If you had no problems with Propecia on it's own, I think you have your answer!

Indeed, go bad to good old Propecia

Its proven to be the best weapon

Best
    SPEX
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

SSRI's have severe sexual side effects for many people. I have personally experienced them both on and off Propecia.

SSRI's have a pretty long list of side effects including some of the same ones Propecia could cause. A lot of posters go around acting like Propecia is radioactive material but there are a lot of worse drugs out on the market right now. I took an SSRI back when I was 18 for depression and while my side effects were mild I still felt it didn't do much for me but that was just my case. Others may need it more and it helps them.

Quote Originally Posted by WashedOut View Post
    A lot of posters go around acting like Propecia is radioactive material but there are a lot of worse drugs out on the market right now.
    It does negatively affect some people though. Do you blame them for being harsh on finasteride if it pretty much broke their dick? As for other drugs on the market - maybe, but they're for actual health problems (depression etc), not a vanity issue like having hair. People usually don't (and shouldn't) risk an important aspect of their health frivolously. Bottom line is people should be informed and I feel obliged to do my part in that regard.

I've been on Paxil for 11 years and it has had some side effects for me; less desire and lower sensitivity. SSRI's work on the neurotransmitter serotonin while propecia work on the dht so if you have sides it isn't because they're combined and reacted together to make some kind of super dick killer but obviously if you are now taking two drugs that have possible sexual side effects one or both might cause some side effects. Had I never experienced sexual sides on Paxil I'd probably be up for giving propecia a shot, but since I already have sides, although fairly minimal, I'd rather just not take the risk. And the long term stuff does scare me a bit even if it's not scientifically proven to occur.

I've used SSRIs with terrible side effects and Propecia with none at all. They work differently and experiencing sides while taking one doesn't mean the other will have the same effect.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    It does negatively affect some people though. Do you blame them for being harsh on finasteride if it pretty much broke their dick? As for other drugs on the market - maybe, but they're for actual health problems (depression etc), not a vanity issue like having hair. People usually don't (and shouldn't) risk an important aspect of their health frivolously. Bottom line is people should be informed and I feel obliged to do my part in that regard.
    I don't blame them at all, it's always a tough thing to deal with when a drug doesn't respond to you properly. I'm sure if I had a kid and I gave him an aspirin and he died due to Reye's Syndrome I would be pretty harsh on aspirins. Everyone should make an informed decision when they are putting something in their body but at the same time knowing everything about a drug won't make the chances of side effects go lower. It's always going to be a roll of the dice which is why it doesn't make sense to ban the drug unless the FDA finds some drastic new information that warrants it.