+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Inactive

Lightbulb Intrepid Therapeutics tests drug to cure baldness, acne

There’s hope for pubescent teens and balding men: A new molecule has been discovered that has the potential to cure both acne and hair loss.

The company working on translating the discovery into topical prescriptions is San Diego-based Intrepid Therapeutics Inc., a year-old company with four founding executives who worked together at another dermatology company, Carlsbad-based SkinMedica, at various points over the past decade.

http://www.sddt.com/News/article.cfm...+baldness+acne

Wednesday, March 14, 2012. Good, recent share. Thanks for the post!

Relevant part for us:
    That means the anti-acne cream wouldn't hit pharmacy shelves until a few years from now.

The compound's use as a hair loss remedy, which is a different formulation with a different review process and strength, is even further away from commercialization.

It still needs to go through nonclinical safety studies before it’s ready for human studies.

So this treatment is like 10 years away....

Quote Originally Posted by cleverusername View Post
    So this treatment is like 10 years away....
    Probably not that long. Cosmo has been looking at 2015 for the acne treatment and 2016 for the hair loss treatment. With the inevitable timeline creep it's probably 2017 at the earliest, but that's five years away rather than ten.

After Histogen and Replicel, this is the treatment I'm most looking forward to. If it's as effective as the initial trials indicate it should become the new first-line treatment for MPB and consign Propecia to the scrap heap. No systemic effects and only needs to be applied once or twice a week.

The only thing I'm worried about is that they might struggle to attract investors/partners to develop it if the investors are worried Replicel etc will make them obsolete. Which won't happen - even if Replicel is fully effective (and that's a huge IF) there will still be a market for CB-03-01 in prevention of hair loss and maintenance of stuff like Histogen. I'd rather not lose my hair in the first place than need to have Replicel or Histogen at all!

Oh thank God, another FUTURE treatment. Man, we have dozens upon dozens of potential FUTURE treatments that the present never seems to catch up with. Fast forward another 10 years and we'd probably still be reading headlines with similar shit.
    Ehhhhh, only if I could say wake me up when the future (and the treatment) is here.

Quote Originally Posted by VictimOfDHT View Post
    Oh thank God, another FUTURE treatment. Man, we have dozens upon dozens of potential FUTURE treatments that the present never seems to catch up with.
    I understand your frustration but I don't think you can lump CB in with all those other stagnant treatments. There are very few hair loss drugs actually actively being developed, which is something Cosmo have pointed out in some of their presentations.

If you take out the snake oil and just look at drugs actually in clinical trials there is pretty much just Latisse and Avodart I think. And after what's happening with Fin I have my doubts Avodart will ever be seriously marketed for hair loss, since it's even more potent than Fin. Astressin-B is supposed to be starting clinical trials soon, and then there is ASC-J9 and CB-03-01. ASC doesn't seem to be going anywhere fast which is a pity because it could be a very powerful drug against MPB.

And that's pretty much it as far as I'm aware. The others, RU, NEOSH etc, I don't think will ever be developed. We should be grateful that in Cosmo we have a company that is apparently interested in pushing ahead with a drug for MPB, because that seems to be what's really been lacking. Of course it may still fall by the wayside like so many others have, but at least it's not being sat on by an uninterested company while the patent expires.

But I know what you mean. I won't really believe in CB-03-01 until I have the first bottle in my hand.

Why is it even further away? They must simply not have the resources to do both at the same time.

I guess thats typical of baby biotechs.

It's really exciting to see that there's now another potential company trying to solve hair loss, but the fact that they aren't even in human trials is a kick to the nuts.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by NotBelievingIt View Post
    They must simply not have the resources to do both at the same time.
    I don't know that that's the case; this statment sounds to me like they're pursuing both, but they're just currently farther down the acne treatment path than the hair loss treatment path:

“We are extremely encouraged by the data generated to date with this novel drug, and look forward to conducting this large Phase II trial in patients with acne in the US. We are also conducting further non-clinical studies to prepare for an additional IND filing and clinical studies to evaluate CB-03-01 in the treatment of androgenic alopecia (hair loss).”

http://www.cosmopharmaceuticals.com/.../12-03-12.aspx

cosmo is the company that made this molecule called cb 03 01. they are working with intrepid to get it to the market but it is probably years away due to the fact that they haven't really begun trials yet for the fda.