+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Propecia and its effects.

I was thinking of getting some Propecia tablets today.....but last night I came across a website called 'Propecia help'.

The information on there is disturbing, talk of cancers, clinical depression, how propecia can change the brains chemistry etc etc etc etc etc etc......

And talks of people taking lawsuits against Propecia etc.

This seriously confuses me.

I know there are several people on here who will just post on this thread shrugging this off and just say its all a load of bollox, or say I am fine so it's ok, or will pretty much force Propecia down my throat with their constant marketing.

"Doctors at two of this country’s leading medical schools have linked the hair growth drug Propecia to prolonged and possibly irreversible male sexual dysfunction, clinical depression, breast cancer and high-grade prostate cancer."

How can that not concern people who are thinking of taking the medication or who are currently taking the medication.

Quote Originally Posted by sausage View Post
    How can that not concern people who are thinking of taking the medication or who are currently taking the medication.
    It should and does concern people, if they are properly informed.

There are three camps of people on this:

1) People who've taken the drug and have experienced no apparent side effects.

A lot of these men then confidently claim the drug is safe and dismiss the guys in camp 2) as being a small minority of about 2% of users and state that side effects are psychological in nature.

2) People who've taken the drug and had side effects.

Some of them come off the drug and some of them experiment with it at a lower dose and accept whatever side effects as a compromise. These men are confident that side effects are real and caused by the drug.

3) People who refuse to take the drug in fear of side effects.

This is a personal decision. Nobody should be bullied into taking finasteride or misled about the potential side effects. Men in both camps (1 and 2) need to be fair before telling others that the drug is either totally safe or totally unsafe. Both groups of men can only offer anecdotal evidence, which you should only take with a grain of salt.

For me the big area of debate is how many men suffer side effects. I personally believe it's higher than the oft-quoted 2% indicated by trials. 2% would be equivalent to the "placebo effect" and that just doesn't ring true with my experiences and those of many others.

If the number of men experiencing side effects was even 5%, that would be 1 in 20, and enough to mean the drug would have to be prescribed and marketed in a totally different way. I think this is probably why Merck have pulled their website and I'd be unsurprised if there aren't further developments in due time.

^You forgot the camp that believes the sides are permenant and absolutely irreversible with any current treatment. I think everyone agrees the drug as sides, the percentage is debatable, but the major division is those that believe Propecia side effects are lifelong and those that feel they are temporary.

I'm sure that camp exists and I'm certain their side effects are genuine. It's an important clarification, thanks.

Well I don't fall into any of those camps. I contemplated taking propecia when I was around 18-19 but was scared of by the side effects (this was when the noise about side effects wasn't very loud either, so I understand your fear). I dealt with hair loss for the years that followed, not well but I survived, and I lost a lot of hair. A couple years ago I said **** it and got on generic proscar. I figured if there was any hope of future treatments or hair restoration I had better hang on to what I had left. I have been on it for about 2 years straight; I have had no side effects. My hair loss has stopped and I have re-grown some hair and my hair overall is much stronger. In the end the choice is yours, I believe side effects are real, who knows the true percent, you just have to take everything into account and make the decision that is right for you. For what it is worth I kick myself everyday for not getting on it when I was younger, I might still be sitting at a NW2 or NW3 instead of a badly thinning NW5. Just my 2 cents.

Don't beat yourself up too much greatjob! It's perfectly understandable why you stalled. Also I'm wondering if there is the possibility you may have had side effects back at 18 or 19, because your hormonal system isn't as it is now.

I have just bought a 4 month supply.

I have taken 2 tablets so obviously 2 days into taking this crazy sh*t.

There are a few people on here that have drilled into me over and over again that this stuff is fine and that they have had great success with it.

This new research into the medicines dangers is absolutely horrific. But I only came across it in these past few days that I have been taking the medication.

I wonder what these people on this forum that go on and on sticking up for the medicine actually make of these new findings.

I mean penis, shrinkage, erection problems are bad enough but on top of that cancers and heart problems, I mean this is heavy stuff.

The FDA are currently looking into the dangers of the drug. This is the FDA, not Trevor in his garage, its the FDA!. If they find the drug is too dangerous it could be taken off the shelves. They are looking into it because of the thousands of complaints of side effects. So this drug is clearly not how some people make out on this forum.

I think I may have a near 4 month supply for sale very soon.

A few weeks ago I was thinking, why didn't I get on this drug 10 years ago. Now I am thinking thank **** I didn't, My Penis could possibly no longer exist, In fact I'd probably now have a Vagina.

Good luck sausage. Where did you order it from in the end?

Quote Originally Posted by Jcm800 View Post
    Good luck sausage. Where did you order it from in the end?
    I am not sure about Good Luck...

Good luck with not getting cancer? good luck with no penis shrinkage.

I think I may have to stop taking it after just 2 days because of the safety hanging over it.

Do you take the stuff? and how is it going for you.

I purchased from Boots online.

No I don't take it. I'm constantly pondering it like you have been-same worries, so I said good luck as I've seen your posts concerning its safety.