Default supplements link to high DHEA

Dr Redmond,

Is there any truth to adrenal fatigue? I had one ovary removed 8 months ago and my PCP, who also practices alternative medical, advised that I am experiencing adrenal fatigue (my main reason for the visit was hair loss). She suggested taking a supplement, Ashwagandha root.

I have been taking the supplement for less than 1 month and I had to have blood re-done with my endo . The results came back with high DHEA, which I did not have 2 months before and 2 months before that.

From what I read, DHEA can be linked to hair loss. Are you aware of this root and if so, can it cause high DHEA?

Thank you

Medical Advisor Geoffrey Redmond, MD, FACE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roepan View Post
    Dr Redmond,

Is there any truth to adrenal fatigue? I had one ovary removed 8 months ago and my PCP, who also practices alternative medical, advised that I am experiencing adrenal fatigue (my main reason for the visit was hair loss). She suggested taking a supplement, Ashwagandha root.

I have been taking the supplement for less than 1 month and I had to have blood re-done with my endo . The results came back with high DHEA, which I did not have 2 months before and 2 months before that.

From what I read, DHEA can be linked to hair loss. Are you aware of this root and if so, can it cause high DHEA?

Thank you
    Adrenal fatigue is a fraudulent diagnosis; there is no such condition. The adrenals do not wear out. True underactivity of the adrenal (Addison's disease) is extremely rare.

DHEA is age-related. Levels are higher in younger people. Most often when I see a level said to be high it is normal for the person's age. Rarely, levels are high due to an adrenal disorder. You should have the result interpreted with age-specific normals.
    Geoffrey Redmond, MD
    The Hormone Help Center of New York http://www.hormonehelpny.com/
    Author, It's Your Hormones

It is not appropriate to make medical diagnoses or treatment recommendations over the internet. Replies to questions intended as general information and not as medical advice for any individual. An appropriate health care provider should be consulted for specific advice.

When I consulted with my endocrinologist last month, I mentioned "adrenal fatigue" and he asked me where I heard that term! (Heard it from my therapist actually....) When I was in his office for a follow-up last week, he told me he was intrigued by my mention of this and he did some extensive research. As it turns out, he said the same thing you did, Dr. Redmond. Thanks for clarifying that!

Default hair MDs

I am trying to compile a list of MDs who manage hair loss. NOT transplants but actual medical managment. I have been diging around on the internet and it is hard. My list is very short. Can anyone help me complete it, OR tell me a site that has a complete list.

Here is what I have.

California - Price or Mirmirani
    New York - Redmund
    Texas - Whiting or Mays
    Maryland - Sperling
    Minnesota - Hordinsky

Why is this so hard, are these people not interested in helping more patients?