+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is it worth seeing a therapist about hairloss?

Does anyone ever feel better after gettin advice or it don't really matter? Im just curious because im thinking of seeing a therapist but in my eyes nothing they say will help me get past hairloss....

Quote Originally Posted by john2399 View Post
    Does anyone ever feel better after gettin advice or it don't really matter? Im just curious because im thinking of seeing a therapist but in my eyes nothing they say will help me get past hairloss....
    The best hair loss therapist you will ever find is Spencer Kobren! The Bald Truth has been my therapy for years and I will tell you that it has saved my life. You should watch his show on Sundays and call him if you need to talk! I thank God I found him every day. I’m serious and it’s free!

Quote Originally Posted by john2399 View Post
    Is it worth seeing a therapist about hairloss?
    I think it is more worth you time and money to see a doctor who specializes in treating hair loss. However I can see where some people might be helped by therapy with the right therapist.

Not worth it. The only thing that will make you feel better is a solution to the hair loss or you accepting it for what it is and getting through this YOURSELF. thats my personal opinion, because I did the whole therapy thing. it sort of just perpetuated things for me, maybe it would be different for you, idk. You and ONLY you can change how you feel about it.

the best advise anyone can give u regarding hairloss is to accept it. if therapist can help u do just that - sure go see one.

I don't want to start all psycho-analyzing stuff here but I have a hunch...

If hair loss depression has made you consider seeing a therapist, its likely there were underlying "issues" that have made the decision come front and center. You can hide a lot of things internally. You can present a front that isn't who you truly are or feel. But hair loss you can't hide and thus begins the cracks.

In my opinion, do it. At least once. You never know what will start spilling out and sometimes its simply therapuetic to get it out and that in itself can be enough.

I know I've considered it.

Asking others whether you would benefit from seeing a therapist isn't going to lead to any conclusive answers. Whether a person does or doesn't get anything out of talking with a professional about their problems is really down to the individual and their own response to that form of therapy. Some people get nothing out of it, while others get a genuine psychological boost from it. It's partly going to depend on whether you have anyone else in your life who you can speak to about these things - but sometimes talking to a complete stranger is easier that talking to people you are more familiar with.

My advice is to try it and see. You'll probably know where you stand after one session.
    Last edited by mattj; 03-14-2012 at 09:01 AM.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I started to see a therapist because of my hair loss and a few other issues and I felt it helped a great deal. Sometimes just having someone to discuss your inner most feelings with can be very helpful and help you to gain some perspective. I love this forum and Spencer’s show, but sometimes it’s good to speak to someone completely detached from this world.

Quote Originally Posted by amadeus View Post
    I started to see a therapist because of my hair loss and a few other issues and I felt it helped a great deal. Sometimes just having someone to discuss your inner most feelings with can be very helpful and help you to gain some perspective. I love this forum and Spencer’s show, but sometimes it’s good to speak to someone completely detached from this world.
    I agree, I just can't really afford to go to therapy on a regular basis, since my insurance only covers a limited amount of sessions.

It was for me. I needed to just let it all out to someone who would not just say I look fine and to get on with my life. My therapist is balding so he really understands and that helped me very much.