Threaded View

Arrow It is not common to treat female pattern alopecia with dutasteride

Quote Originally Posted by WomensHairLossProject View Post
    Are doctors starting to prescribe Dutasteride for the treatment of women's hair loss as well? I know that Propecia is prescribed for some women, like those not planning to have kids anytime soon, but I just read today that a woman is taking Dutasteride so I'm curious if this is common ??
    If doctors are starting to prescribe dutasteride for women with hair loss, it is certainly not “mainstream.” There have been several studies examining the use of finasteride in women with hair loss and the study with the most scientific validity essentially showed that there was no significant response. DHT has not been proven to be a mediator of hair loss in women and therefore its reduction, whether by finasteride or dutasteride, does not make sense as a treatment. However there are a few anecdotal reports of some women responding to finasteride. So the shorter answer is no, it is not common to treat female pattern alopecia with dutasteride. I would stick with the proven treatment of minoxidil.