+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Experience with Dr. Epstein in Miami

I recently had two HT procedures with Dr. Epstein. I think he's great. My first procedure was in Dec 08 (3,073 grafts) and the second in Mar 09 (2,512 grafts). As a Class 6, I was more than happy with the results of the first procedure. Good coverage and natural placement. My biggest concern was an unnatural look. I had no need to worry. The small (1,2 and 3 hair) grafts and expert placement produced a very natural, undetectable look. Having just had my second procedure 12 days ago, I am looking forward to the new hair that will result. About 9 months after my first procedure, I visited a dermatologist for some sun spots on my face. I told him I had had a hair transplant and invited him to look it over. His response was that he had never before seen a hair transplant patient with no visible scarring on top. BTW, the incision on the back of my head healed nicely with an almost undetectable scar. Many friends have marveled at the overall results, including a friend's wife who owns a hair salon and sees many men with hair transplants. I can say without reservation that I have complete trust in Dr. Epstein in terms of his technical and artistic talents, as well as his character. Both Dr. Epstein and his staff were thoroughly committed to my comfort during both procedures and the positive atmosphere in the office helped the time in the chair pass quickly. I did a lot of research before selecting a hair transplant surgeon and I am very happy that I chose Dr. Epstein. Not only is he a great HT surgeon (and facial plastic surgeon), he's also a humanitarian who has performed pro bono surgery on needy children. Please note that my only association with Dr. Epstein is as a patient... and now, a friend. John K (age 55)

Glad you had a great HT with Dr Epstein,be great to see your pictures.

Take care bm.

Default Will Load Photos Soon

BigMac, Thanks for the positive sentiments. I will attempt to load photos in the next couple of days. John K

Quote Originally Posted by John K View Post
    I recently had two HT procedures with Dr. Epstein. I think he's great. My first procedure was in Dec 08 (3,073 grafts) and the second in Mar 09 (2,512 grafts). As a Class 6, I was more than happy with the results of the first procedure. Good coverage and natural placement. My biggest concern was an unnatural look. I had no need to worry. The small (1,2 and 3 hair) grafts and expert placement produced a very natural, undetectable look. Having just had my second procedure 12 days ago, I am looking forward to the new hair that will result. About 9 months after my first procedure, I visited a dermatologist for some sun spots on my face. I told him I had had a hair transplant and invited him to look it over. His response was that he had never before seen a hair transplant patient with no visible scarring on top. BTW, the incision on the back of my head healed nicely with an almost undetectable scar. Many friends have marveled at the overall results, including a friend's wife who owns a hair salon and sees many men with hair transplants. I can say without reservation that I have complete trust in Dr. Epstein in terms of his technical and artistic talents, as well as his character. Both Dr. Epstein and his staff were thoroughly committed to my comfort during both procedures and the positive atmosphere in the office helped the time in the chair pass quickly. I did a lot of research before selecting a hair transplant surgeon and I am very happy that I chose Dr. Epstein. Not only is he a great HT surgeon (and facial plastic surgeon), he's also a humanitarian who has performed pro bono surgery on needy children. Please note that my only association with Dr. Epstein is as a patient... and now, a friend. John K (age 55)
    John, happy to read of your success. I am new to research on HT and I am reviewing credentials of surgeons in NY. Did you also consider Dr. Robert Bernstein and Dr. Alan Feller? What made you choose Dr. Epstein? Did you have FUT or FUE? I'm not yet sufficiently knowledgeable as to why one method should be selected over the other? Might I ask what the cost was? Hope to hear from you.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Jeffrey Epstein, MD's Avatar

Default FUG vs. FUE

Bobby - Great question, and it's very valuable to do all your homework on different doctors and different procedures. One particularly valuable information gathering source is the internet, where you can read about and see the actual work of different doctors.
    On my website, much of the info about FUE vs. FUG that I am going to present is in greater detail, but here is summary of my thoughts about these two procedures:
    Over the past two years, follicular unit extraction (FUE) has achieved a lot more popularity- not yet ready to surpass the gold standard procedure of follicular unit grafting, but certainly becoming a more frequently offered and requested procedure. For the past 10 years, FUG has been the procedure of choice for a very good reason: when performed artistically, this method can achieve truly natural appearing results, with as many as 3500 or more grafts able to be transplanted in a single 6 to 7 hour long procedure. The donor strip incision which is sutured closed heals in the overhwelming majority of patients as a fine line scar 2 mm or less in width, usually permitting hair to be trimmed with as short as a #3 razor, sometimes a #2. And with the innovative plastic surgery trichophytic technique, hairs can actually grow through the scar, further reducing its visibility.

FUE replaces that single incision with multiple tiny punches- I use 0.8 mm diameter punches, which then heal as essentially undetectable dots on the scalp. The result is that patients are able to cut their hair even shorter than they could with the FUG method- even shave their head- without having any detectable donor site scar. While FUE in no way makes obsolete the technique of FUG, it can be the best procedure for patients who are: young; usually male; keeping open the option of shaving their head; African-American; and/or having reparative work and have a limited supply of donor hair. One other indication- the FUE procedure can be used to obtain grafts that can be then placed into a donor site scar from a prior procedure.

We have recently been using areas of the body- arm, chest, and leg- as donor areas for hair. These body hairs can be difficult to extract, and sometimes do not to grow as long as scalp hairs, therefore provide limited coverage. However, for patients with a low supply of scalp donor hairs, usually due to prior transplants, these FUE obtained body hairs, along with those obtained from the scalp, can provide extra coverage.

In a typical FUE case, 1000 to 1800 grafts can be obtained in a single full day procedure. Many patients will have two procedures over two days, allowing for 1800 to 2700 grafts total. As I have performed more and more FUE work, our enthusiasm for this procedure has steadily increased. More and more patients are having this procedure- whereas once they would not have considered having any hair transplant, due to their unwillingness to be unable to shave their head, they are now able to do so and get the hair restoration they desire. And while it takes more time to perform, the cost of these procedures has dropped more in accordance with FUG procedures with developments in efficiency and experience.

Hope this info helps.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
    www.foundhair.com
    Miami and NYC
    Jeffrey S. Epstein, MD
    Foundation For Hair Restoration

Doctor Epstein:

Could you please comment on your experience with the yield rates realized in your FUE procedures? To make sure I have my terminology correct :-), what I mean by yield is: what percent of the transplanted grafts survive and grow? For example, if 100 grafts are transplanted, and 97 of them grow, the yield rate is 97%.

As I understand it, yield rates for FUE procedures are lower than the strip method, and in fact sometimes as low as 50%. I have been very hesitant to even consider FUE primarily because of this "fact" (assuming it is a fact). As a guy suffering with hair loss, I've developed an emotional connection to every remaining hair on my head :-) And I would be hesitant to undergo FUE if the end-result is the potential lack of survival of up to half of the transplanted grafts. Even though the illusion of coverage is created, the fact seems to be that I have produced a net reduction in the number of hairs on my head.

I understand the strip method produces consistently high yield rates, 90% or more, almost consistently ... in the hands of the right doctors (of course including yourself and other IAHRS doctors). This gives me comfort with the strip method because I know that I am going to get an excellent yield. It also leads me to believe that the cost of introducing a thin linear scar into my head via the strip method is substantially low in comparison to the benefit of getting an excellent yield.

Thanks!!

TeeJay

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Robert True, MD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bobby View Post
    John, happy to read of your success. I am new to research on HT and I am reviewing credentials of surgeons in NY. Did you also consider Dr. Robert Bernstein and Dr. Alan Feller? What made you choose Dr. Epstein? Did you have FUT or FUE? I'm not yet sufficiently knowledgeable as to why one method should be selected over the other? Might I ask what the cost was? Hope to hear from you.
    I have found this attached chart I created helpful in explaining the differences between FUE and FUT to patients.

Best Regards,

Dr. True

Attached Files
    Robert True, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Thanks to both Dr. Epstein and Dr. True for taking the time to come on this site and provide that information!!

Default Response to Bobby

Bobby, After reviewing many HT surgeons' websites, I had a good feeling about Dr, Epstein's work. I made an appointment to see him when he was in Tampa (where I live). Meeting him in person sealed the deal for me. He was pleasant and a straight shooter, as were his staff members. Some years ago I visited a west coast HT clinic. While I was sure they ran a good operation, it just didn't feel right for me and I chose to wait until I found a practice that made me comfortable. This IS a big decision. My recommendation is to do your research, meet with the doctor(s) and go with your instincts. You can also ask to meet with patients who have already had one or more procedures. I would offer that any surgeon you choose should be equipped to provide a "mega-session" where you can receive thousands of grafts during one procedure. In order to be able to to this, the surgeon must have a staff of technicians available to create the 1-, 2- and 3-hair grafts. During my procedures (3,073 and 2,512 grafts), there were at least 4-6 techs devoted solely to creating the grafts, while additional techs performed other functions. If I recall correctly, Dr. Epstein told me there were 19 people who supported my first procedure. I suspect it was about the same for the second one. As for the cost, I am hesitant to offer what I think is proprietary information. Any reputable practice should be willing to provide you with their fee structure. I would recommend caution if a practice is unwilling to provide that information. I will say that a quality HT is not inexpensive. However, I believe I received excellent value (and results) with Dr. Epstein, and the cost was far less than I was quoted at the west coast clinic I visited over 5 years ago. Best wishes, John K

Default Corrected Dates

Bobby,

Just to set the record straight, I gave an incorrect date for my first procedure with Dr. Epstein. It was actually in Dec 07 (not 08). There was a period of about 15 months between my two procedures. Again, I plan to post some photos soon. Best wishes, John K