+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Strip scars in asian patients (brown skin individuals)

Hi Guys,

For those who didn't know, abnormal healing of the skin occurs frequently in individuals with brown/black skin, comapred to those with white skin. When skin is injured, it may heal with one of several types of scars: normal (level with the surrounding skin), atrophic (depressed), hypertrophic (slightly raised), and keloidal (large and raised). Keloid scarring occurs much more frequencetly in people with darker skin. Not to mention people with brown skin are also more prone to hyperpigmentation after injury (produce too much pigment).

Does anyone have any information on strip scars in brown skinned people ? I have medium brown indian skin and a very lax scalp, but i'm still worried about the scar due to the reasons mentioned above. Thanks.

Very interesting, thanks for the links fitnesse-man. As Dr. Charles mentions, darker skin people are more at risk of hypertrophic scarring. How much more of a risk ? I think this is something only a HT surgeon can give a valid opinion on, based on experieces with darker skin individuals. Something i'll be asking at my consultations over the next few months. I'll let you guys know what i found out.

Update for any brown skinned brothers out there. I spoke to Dr. Hasson at a London consultation about this issue last month. He said he has come across keloid scarring twice in his entire time performing HT surgery. Both times were with brown skin patients, but he has treated hundreds and hundreds of brown/black skin patients (can't remember if he said thousands), so it is still extremely unlikely. I think the patient will know if he/she has a history of keloid scarring, in which case they should talk to their HT surgeon about it pre-op. Otherwise, i gathered from Dr. Hasson that it's not something to worry about.

Not sure how they deal with keloid scarring in a strip scar if it does happen. It's just a raised scar, so maybe they just 'trim' it. I'm assuming the scar tissue underneath will be the same as a normal scar, so FUE'ing into the scar once it's trimmed should produce the same yield. Maybe keloid scarring isn't that big a deal ?

I'll be seeing Dr. Feller next month, so i'll pick his brains on this issue too and update this thread.

Thanks.

Hi there,

Don't worry about the stats that are associated with hyperpigmentation with dark skinned people. It's really about the skill of the surgeon producing a nice lnear clean scar also the more grafts you go for naturally the wider the scar will be and hence nore tension will be present on the tissue where it hs been taken from.

I have ahs two strips form Dr feller and they have both healed beautifully in fact the 2nd time round was even better than the first.

here are some pics

Dr Feller will give you a great scar he goes long and thin = less teniosna dn a thinner scar

best
    Uk R
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SCAR-28-DAYS-POT-OP.jpg

Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	14420  

Thanks UK responder. Yeah, i've seen a few of Dr. Feller's tricho scars and they look very good indeed. I saw a couple of Dr. Hasson's closures recently too in person (Jotronic and another H&W patient) and i couldn't believe how undetectable they were. I was totally stunned at the comparison of my head to Jotronics. He seems to have less scarring than me and i've only had 1,250 grafts via FUE. White dots on brown skin looks terrible by the way !! I had lots of them. The extra contrast of the white dots on brown skin really accentuates the overall scarring effect. I definitely don't think i could shave down to a 1 guard without those white dots showing through.

Your scar looks great mate and good luck with the growth. You know where the staples ener the scalp, above and below the scar.....Do the hairs there get damaged by the staple entry point ? Just wondering.

Thanks.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Jeffrey Epstein, MD's Avatar

While what you describe is overall true, there is an extremely low risk of any keloid or even other scarring with a donor strip incision. What I occasionally see is some darkening of the scar in some patients. What you have described as your skin, most likely you'd be in the top one-third in terms of donor site scar appearance.
    Jeffrey S. Epstein, MD
    Foundation For Hair Restoration

Thanks for the input Dr. Epstein.

Folly,

Are you then Asian as your thread implies? If so, I am also Asian (half) and had 4 strip procedures without any issues with my donor scar. Even after 4 strips, I still have a very long thin linear scar!

And yes my 4th strip had the triclosure method done.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Folly, You have good donor , your strip scar will be hard to find
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.