+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hey Gillenator....hope you're well bro

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    Are you then Asian as your thread implies?
    Yeah, i'm of Indian descent. Medium brown skin.

If so, I am also Asian (half) and had 4 strip procedures without any issues with my donor scar. Even after 4 strips, I still have a very long thin linear scar!
    Wow. Did your scalp laxticity come back to normal every time and if so, how many grafts did you have ?

Quote Originally Posted by Spex View Post
    Folly, You have good donor , your strip scar will be hard to find
    Cheers Spex. I'll definitely be going for strip after Dr. Feller told me my hairs are too fine for FUE. Probably explains the poor results i've had from my previous FUE surgery.

So that's 3 HT docs (Dr. Feller, Dr. Hasson & Dr. Epstein) who have said there is nothing to worry about with strip scars in those with darker skin colours.Thanks to everyone for their comments.

I live in London, where it's very sunny currently. I was outside for about 45 minutes and had a mirror next to me. I took a look at my hairline and couldn't believe what i noticed. I had lots and lots of hypo pigmentation marks on my hairline, where the incisions had been made for my transplanted hairs. I didn't realise the incision sites also cause hypo. I thought it was just the FUE punch marks in the donor area. If i wear my hair up, it's actually quite obvious and noticeable (maybe only during the summer, but maybe not).

This isn't something i've read about before....but then again, almost all the information regarding hair transplants is relevant to caucasian males, so i'm not that surprised.

That's something else darker skinned people should be aware of (hypo in the hairline)

Folly,

I probably have seen more hypo-pigmented and "raised" scar cases over the past 30 years because patients needing repair tend to contact me and I have no doubt seen more photos than any other individual(s). Most HT surgeons do not see that volume of pics of repair cases. Not boasting by any means, just stating the facts.

Anyways, your asian decent (Eastern/South Asian) is not prone to raised scarring that I have noticed. The keloiding from my observations is more prevalent with those of African American decent or middle Eastern decent. Still even amoung those groups, it is not common. Those cases mostly involved the more darker pigmented individuals.

Yet I have observed very fair complected caucasians heal with a wider or raised scar and have seen lingering redness in very fair skinned individuals.

If you are a good healer, then there is a much more higher probability that you will not end up with a raised scar from a strip excision. It's more of the hypo-pigmented spots you have noticed at the recipient sites where the former grafts were placed that's IMHO more of an issue for you.

I would recommned that you discuss the use of custom-sized micro blades to create your future recipient sites verses using hypodermic needles in creating your recipient sites, espcially at the hairline where the impact of visibility is high and more profound. Hopefully you won't have any more recipient "dots" on your hairline.

Many asians of Indian decent have profoundly dense donor. It sounds from your own words that your hair caliber is more thin however.

I had 6900 grafts total, and my last procedure of roughly 2400 grafts was done by strip as well. My laxity was a bit tight however the surgeon closed me with staples. We both wanted that extra assurance of a thin linear scar which was accomplished.

Thanks for asking and best wishes to you my good friend!
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Folly,
    I would recommned that you discuss the use of custom-sized micro blades to create your future recipient sites verses using hypodermic needles in creating your recipient sites, espcially at the hairline where the impact of visibility is high and more profound. Hopefully you won't have any more recipient "dots" on your hairline.
    Great info. I'll mention this at my next consult.

Thanks for your help once again Gillenator. If we ever cross paths in a bar, drinks are on me bro !!

You are welcome Folly, anytime brother!
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin