Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clandestine
    • Aug 2011

I'm Scared.

Regarding the progression of my hair loss, and considering getting on propecia. I'm 20 years old, and by all means would like to be proactive in fighting against hair loss.

I've had sexual side effects in the past when I was taking SSRI's for anxiety and depression. I've also encountered performance anxiety previously in my sex life, something I've had to conquer. Dealing with hair loss at a young age, this gives me less incentive to want take hormone-altering drugs.

For these reasons, I am decidedly cautious when considering taking medication with potential sexual sides. Regarding fin, it's more of a cost (read: potential risk) vs benefit debate in my mind at this point.

Don't know what I'm looking for. Advice, perhaps. Objectively, I realize that fin is the only thing that can't halt further progression of hair loss. But, were I to encounter any change to my sexual function, I would likely be devastated.

Regards,
    clandestine
    • Jan 2012

why the hell would a 20 year old take anti-depression drugs?? What can you possibly be depressed about?

yes, taking fin is the best way to fight hair loss. side effects are very rare. try it and see if you can tolerate it

Comment

• DAVE52
      • Sep 2010

Everyoen is different

We don't know what's going on in his life that would neccistate that need for antidepressant drugs

As for Propecia , only way to know if you'll get the side effects is to try it

I did , and I was one of the lucky 2 % who couldn't get it up no matter hard hard ( no pun intended ) I tried

Comment

• mattj
        Doctor Representative
        • Oct 2009

I was on the anti-d's at much younger than 20. It's not uncommon. They seem to hand them out like candy.

Clandestine, I took SSRIs for a while. They didn't do me any good and the sexual side effects were terrible. Only the fact that the withdrawal effects were even worse kept me on them.

Sexual side effects are much more common and severe with SSRIs than they are with Finasteride (propecia). I've personally been fine while taking the Fin, so I'm one example of how experiencing side effects on SSRIs doesn't necessarily mean that other drugs will have the same effect.
        I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Comment

• NotBelievingIt
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by 2020
          why the hell would a 20 year old take anti-depression drugs?? What can you possibly be depressed about?
          Ooof, thats rough dude. Think before writing.

Comment

• DAVE52
            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by clandestine

Objectively, I realize that fin is the only thing that can't halt further progression of hair loss. But, were I to encounter any change to my sexual function, I would likely be devastated.

Regards,
            clandestine
            Only way to find out is to try
            If you do experience sides then you can always stop taking the meds

Comment

• Jcm800
              • Jan 2011

Thing is, I've read countless times that the shit really hits the fan when men QUIT the drug, weeks after - they think they're in the clear and BAM their systems crash. Now I've only read about this on Propeciahelp for instance, but it's a big reason for me to always think twice about using this medication.

Comment

• yeahyeahyeah
                • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Jcm800
                Thing is, I've read countless times that the shit really hits the fan when men QUIT the drug, weeks after - they think they're in the clear and BAM their systems crash. Now I've only read about this on Propeciahelp for instance, but it's a big reason for me to always think twice about using this medication.
                Sounds awful.

I can't believe they haven't released anything better. In 50 years time, when better treatments are out, I bet people will look back at this and realise how barbaric treating hairloss was.

Comment

• Jcm800
                  • Jan 2011

Yeah it's a crap hand hairloss sufferers have been dealt. Jeez, no option other than to risk screwing yourself up with Finasteride or accept impending baldness. (not everyone can afford a HT) and Minox in my experience is rubbish.

Comment

• DepressedByHairLoss
                    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by yeahyeahyeah
                    Sounds awful.

I can't believe they haven't released anything better. In 50 years time, when better treatments are out, I bet people will look back at this and realise how barbaric treating hairloss was.
                    I'm with you man, it's just downright pitiful that we only have these shit options to treat hair loss. We really should have much better options than two drugs that weren't even developed to treat hair loss in the first place. That's what really drives me crazy, that we all want to fight our hair loss so bad (and would pay significant money to do so) yet we're given such shit options to do so. You're right man, minoxidil is utter garbage; to call minoxidil a hair growth stimulant is an absolute joke.

Comment

• sausage
                      • Jan 2012

I am about to chuck £285 on 6 months worth of Propecia tablets, is it worth it?

Comment

• Still-Researching
                        • Feb 2010

Sausage,
                        That sounds extremely expensive. Why don't you use Proscar cut in 4 ?
                        It will give you 2 years supply or more for that price.

Its been worth it for me and many others to halt your hair loss and if you are lucky some regrowth - I had my crown hair significantly thickened by proscar.

Comment

• gmonasco
                          Inactive
                          • Apr 2010

Originally posted by clandestine
                          Objectively, I realize that fin is the only thing that can't halt further progression of hair loss. But, were I to encounter any change to my sexual function, I would likely be devastated.
                          If you're worried that taking finasteride will affect your sexual performance, it probably will, whether or not the drug actually causes that result.

Comment

• sausage
                            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Still-Researching
                            Sausage,
                            That sounds extremely expensive. Why don't you use Proscar cut in 4 ?
                            It will give you 2 years supply or more for that price.

Its been worth it for me and many others to halt your hair loss and if you are lucky some regrowth - I had my crown hair significantly thickened by proscar.

I just want to pay this as I know 100% that I am getting it from a trusted source and I don't have to go through the stress of cutting pills up.

Did you get your Proscar online? if so which website do u use?

Thanks.

Comment

• Still-Researching
                              • Feb 2010

There is really no stress - you get a pill cutter from the pharmacy at 3 GBP and it takes 2 min to cut for a weeks supply and the cutter is also a container for the cut pills.

I buy at the local pharmacy and believe I paid something like 50 EUR for a years supply, last time, I usually buy for 18 months or so - when I stock up.

Comment

Working...