+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: I'm Scared.

  1. #21
    Senior Member mpb47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    Considering fin more seriously these days.. might cave.

    If one were to experience sides, do they oftentimes resolve after stopping the medication?
    If you start getting sides, get off of it right away. I procrastinated because I was having such good results and I actually though it was something else was causing my issues. My sides got better but did not completely go back to normal. Anxiety/depression was one of the sides. I used welbutrin but after a year I did not need it anymore as long as I exercised 2-3 times a week.

    Oh and to the other poster wondering if 40 sucked. Well it depends...if you exercise you will be fine, but if you don't you will start falling apart and get old people problems....

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,479

    Default

    clandestine: For what it's worth, I had sexual side effects on SSRI's also, but not on finasteride. (Same thing goes for others on this forum.)
    Most people's sides resolve after quitting fin, but there does seem to be a very small % of men who are predisposed to long-term problems from using it. I'm not convinced these are "irreversible" like some think (hormone drugs can take a very long time to fully recover from, longer than six months in some cases), but I'm also not sure they aren't.

    I'm using 1.25 mg per day. I was aware of side effect risks but decided to try the drug because, for me, it was a matter of the 2-5% risk of sides vs. the 100% chance of continued hair loss.
    It has helped a lot with my mental/emotional well-being, because I no longer have to readjust to a new (ie less hairy) self-image every year or so. That was one of the more exhausting aspects of MPB to me.

    In the end you'll want to bring all your concerns and questions to a doctor, which you already know. Best of luck to you.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    What can a 20 year old be depressed about?

    Okay, I will name a couple of reasons:
    1) Having parents murdered;
    2) Losing legs in a car crash;
    3) Being born ugly;
    4) Having AIDS;
    5) Balding.

    Good enough?


    Don't trust everything you read. There are many male competitors that want to keep you from taking that drug, so you lose hair and can't compete with them for women anymore. If you start having serious side effects, quit the drug and they will go away. Simple as that, Jack!


    It gets better from 20 to 30. At 25 is the peak or so. After 30 it's a speedline to hell.
    No kidding. Some people assume because they're enjoying their lives every body else is. I really find it hard to believe that most people think this way. Depression is NOT limited to a certain age group. A lot of teens suffer from depression and I think today's teens are more depressed than ever before. Suicide is the third-leading cause of death for 15- to 24-year-olds (according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), and more than 90% of those who commit suicide have psychological disorders ( mainly depression).
    Buddy, take a trip to one of those less fortunate places and see what a typical 20 year old's life is like. Don't judge life based on your own experience with it.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VictimOfDHT View Post
    No kidding. Some people assume because they're enjoying their lives every body else is. I really find it hard to believe that most people think this way. Depression is NOT limited to a certain age group. A lot of teens suffer from depression and I think today's teens are more depressed than ever before. Suicide is the third-leading cause of death for 15- to 24-year-olds (according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), and more than 90% of those who commit suicide have psychological disorders ( mainly depression).
    Buddy, take a trip to one of those less fortunate places and see what a typical 20 year old's life is like. Don't judge life based on your own experience with it.
    Sigh, hairloss really needs to be solved.

    So sad that it hasnt yet.

    I was looking at old pics of myself, god I looked so photogenic.

  5. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2020 View Post
    why the hell would a 20 year old take anti-depression drugs?? What can you possibly be depressed about?

    One of the most ignorant statements I've ever read.

  6. #26
    Senior Member mpb47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VictimOfDHT View Post
    No kidding. Some people assume because they're enjoying their lives every body else is. I really find it hard to believe that most people think this way. Depression is NOT limited to a certain age group. A lot of teens suffer from depression and I think today's teens are more depressed than ever before. Suicide is the third-leading cause of death for 15- to 24-year-olds (according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), and more than 90% of those who commit suicide have psychological disorders ( mainly depression).
    Buddy, take a trip to one of those less fortunate places and see what a typical 20 year old's life is like. Don't judge life based on your own experience with it.
    And you may have inherited it from the same person who gave you your mpb genes. I have experienced it 2 times now and thought it was FIN leftover sides. That may have triggered it but I recently found out it runs pretty deep on my moms side. Her brother,who I got my mpb from, also has had it really bad and he just told me recently that all 3 of his daughters have it bad and are on medication. All these years and I just found out. My sister has it too and it's causing her some problems esp since she quit taking her meds.
    For me fixing my t levels made mine go away. So if you have it, have your t levels checked.

    Oh and do not feel like it is your fault. It's your genes just like mpb.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,985

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mpb47 View Post
    And you may have inherited it from the same person who gave you your mpb genes. I have experienced it 2 times now and thought it was FIN leftover sides. That may have triggered it but I recently found out it runs pretty deep on my moms side. Her brother,who I got my mpb from, also has had it really bad and he just told me recently that all 3 of his daughters have it bad and are on medication. All these years and I just found out. My sister has it too and it's causing her some problems esp since she quit taking her meds.
    For me fixing my t levels made mine go away. So if you have it, have your t levels checked.

    Oh and do not feel like it is your fault. It's your genes just like mpb.
    It runs in my genes, no doubt. Moreso regarding anxiety, on my fathers side, which depression can oftentimes follow closely after, if one is not careful. My sibling and I are definitely in some sense predisposed, this I have no doubt. My father is a wreck, haha. Love him though.

    mpb47; More on topic, how long were you on propecia /after having quit propecia did you develop sides? Did the sides only appear post-propecia use? I remember you saying you needed T therapy; what were the nature of your sides again?

    Sorry if these are personal questions, just trying to get a better understanding of what some people go through after having took this drug for many years.

  8. #28
    Senior Member mpb47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    It runs in my genes, no doubt. Moreso regarding anxiety, on my fathers side, which depression can oftentimes follow closely after, if one is not careful. My sibling and I are definitely in some sense predisposed, this I have no doubt. My father is a wreck, haha. Love him though.

    mpb47; More on topic, how long were you on propecia /after having quit propecia did you develop sides? Did the sides only appear post-propecia use? I remember you saying you needed T therapy; what were the nature of your sides again?

    Sorry if these are personal questions, just trying to get a better understanding of what some people go through after having took this drug for many years.
    I was FIN for about 3 years when I got the sides, however I did not quit it right away because I thought something else had caused it and I had great results and did not want to give it up. So no I got the sides while I was on it.
    I had loss of sex drive, anxiety/depression and 2 WEIRD ones. The skin on the back of my hands looked aged The skin got very dry and the skin between my fingers shriveled up. And back of hands got cracks. It was a milder form of what happens to middle age women. One site says it is caused by high estrogen. My eyelids got droopy too. After awhile my hands went back to normal and my eyelids did to a lessor degree. Since I have been on T I have seen improvements to the skin on my face so it must have been low t/high e or something like that. After about a year my depression was lifted but still not gone 100%. Same with anxiety but both would stay away as long as i exercised. later my life got super busy - stopped exercising , ate too much and gained weight. About a year ago the axiety/depression came back along with new symtoms. No energy, brain fog. I tried to solve it myself at first but things just kept getting worse and worse till I had to go to the DR. Low T plus some other issues. It actually was not that low but the stuff really made me feel much better. It also made me start losing my weight which had become very very hard to do. I have often wondered if my original problems were a mixture of things coming together at a bad time. Believe it or not the site that explained the hands problem said grapefruit greatly increases FIN sides. At that time I was doing heavy exercise and practically got addicted to grapefruit juice-I was going through a couple of bottles a week. I was also turning 40 so wondering if all that together cause my problems. Not sure what to think just glad I am getting better....

Similar Threads

  1. 17 - Scared and starting to obsess!
    By Gh5 in forum Introduce Yourself & Share Your Story
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-07-2012, 03:29 PM
  2. Scared to wash and style hair
    By rupe in forum Men's Hair Loss: Start Your Own Topic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-29-2012, 10:25 AM
  3. Scared shitless and sad as hell :(
    By Ramazan in forum Men's Hair Loss: Start Your Own Topic
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-05-2011, 09:02 PM
  4. Scared of getting transplant now
    By hair leaving in forum Men's Hair Loss: Start Your Own Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-17-2010, 04:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

I am balding already, 17 year old ?
Yesterday 12:41 PM
by superg
Last Post By superg
Today 04:47 AM
Am I a good candidate?
Today 02:47 AM
Last Post By JimmyJones12
Today 02:47 AM
Post Finasteride Syndrome (Theory)
09-24-2016 10:02 PM
Last Post By ResIpsaLoquitur
Today 01:49 AM
My Reintroduction...
09-22-2016 04:00 PM
Last Post By JoeTillman
Yesterday 09:46 PM
Where to go UK?
Yesterday 12:54 PM
Last Post By J_B_Davis
Yesterday 06:49 PM
RU- would anyone recommend
09-17-2016 05:03 PM
Last Post By Topgun322
Yesterday 01:14 PM