+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Arrow Spencer Kobren - Depression and Hair Loss: My Story

I made the below post when we first launched the forum. I thought you guys might want to read about my emotional struggles with hair loss and why I do what I do.

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=145
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Default Good job Spenc'

Depression can be a very dangerous period in one's life. Thanks to you Spencer, people who have depression due to hair loss have a place to vent and share with others.
    Last edited by Artista; 03-09-2012 at 10:21 AM. Reason: grammatical

Having dealt with depression and anxiety prior to hair loss, this is no easy task to overcome! All we can do is remain optimistic, negativity and resisting our condition will only further perpetuate a miserable attitude. Great read, good to know we're never alone.

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Default we share the same experience then Cland'

Same here,,Im glad that i am a survivor and so the hair issue later in life didnt worsen things for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    Same here,,Im glad that i am a survivor and so the hair issue later in life didnt worsen things for me.
    Haha true, good to hear you're doing alright mate. The hair issue for me is early on in life, the depression was even earlier. Currently only 20 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerKobren View Post
    I made the below post when we first launched the forum. I thought you guys might want to read about my emotional struggles with hair loss and why I do what I do.

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=145
    Hey Spencer, what treatments have you used to combat your hairloss? You seem to have a pretty damn good head of hair to me. I know you use (or have used) finasteride. Anything else? I'm just curious...I'm the same age you were when you first noticed your hairloss, and I just started an aggressive treatment regimen of fin/minox/nizoral/biotin. I know you're not a fan of the "kitchen sink" approach but my doc told me that I'd be well-off with this regimen. Hopefully I can keep my hairloss (which is pretty mild to begin with) at bay until better treatments come along.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNitwon View Post
    Hey Spencer, what treatments have you used to combat your hairloss? You seem to have a pretty damn good head of hair to me. I know you use (or have used) finasteride. Anything else? I'm just curious...I'm the same age you were when you first noticed your hairloss, and I just started an aggressive treatment regimen of fin/minox/nizoral/biotin. I know you're not a fan of the "kitchen sink" approach but my doc told me that I'd be well-off with this regimen. Hopefully I can keep my hairloss (which is pretty mild to begin with) at bay until better treatments come along.
    My current regimen is 1 Proscar tablet about 3 to 4 days per week, and prayer…So far so good. If you think your current regimen is working for you, stick with it.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure, I "paint" my head.
    Spencer Kobren

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerKobren View Post
    Also, in the interest of full disclosure, I "paint" my head.
    But you do such a good job no one can tell.

Speaking of Dermatch. I had a problem with the company and I'm not sure if I should bother to do anything about it. I bought some in red because I am a red head. What Dermatch calls red is not even close to what a natural red head looks like. It looks like clown hair orange once it is on your head. I complained and they gave me a full refund. So no harm no foul. I have since read from other red haired women in the Women's Hair Loss Project forum who have the exact same complaint about Dermatch.

Well anyways, when I had a follow up appointment with my Doctor he suggested giving Dermatch another try. He did make note that my hair color would be difficult to match. He suggested trying another color so I tried to order the color my doctor suggested - but Dermatch will not sell it to me unless I repay for the product that I had previously tried. I do not agree with their reasoning for refusing my order. I feel their reasoning is unethical.

The folks at Dermatch said that they only refund if you don't like the product and/or their prouct doesn't work for you - not if you don't like the color. My thinking is if the color cannot match, the product isn't going to work. One of us is being unreasonable. Is it me?

Dermatch could save a lot of grief if they sold smaller samples so people could figure out what color will work for them without paying too much just to figure it out.

Fortunately I don't need to use very much concealer. Auburn hair fibers are working fine for me and matches my hair really well. So it's not a big deal other than the ethics of it all bugs me. If I am the one who is being unreasonable, it's totally O.K. to say so. I won't be offened.

I would be interested to read your opinion on the matter.

Take care and thank you for doing what you do.

Tracy

Hi Tracy,

Thanks for the kind words!

In my view, the customer should always be right. I did speak with the company yesterday about their policy, and they explained that in the past they have been burned by many customers who would exchange color after color only to return each and every purchase. Since it is makeup, I can understand having a stringent return policy, but I did express that they might want to rethink their policy, or at the very least, inform their customers of the policy so they can make a better informed purchase.

Also, I think your color sample idea is a good one. Perhaps they would consider a small color palette containing all of the different shades that consumers can purchase to ensure they order the right color.
    Spencer Kobren

Thank you Spencer,

Sorry for going off topic.

Tracy

…We now return to your regular scheduled topic in progress.