+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by greatjob! View Post
    Propecia is one pill a day which is 1mg of finasteride. Propecia is pretty expensive but you can get a prescription for generic proscar which is 5mg of finasteride and cut it in to quarters. Walmart sells the generic proscar for $9 for a three months supply and most pharmacies will price match. I get generic proscar from Frys grocery pharmacy and they price matched walmart. Username Spex has made some posts on here and a few other sites recommending a gradual dosing of finasteride of people who have experienced sides. I personally have been on finasteride for 2years solid and have not seen one side effect. I wish I would have started much earlier, so my recommendation is to give it a shot. Some people have had side effects, and most have gone away after they stopped taking it.
    Much appreciated Greatjob....going to order some generic fin and see how I go, it it works without sides I'm gonna be kicking myself but better late than never. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post
    You really do bring up some good points in those first two paragraphs; very well thought out. I've always suspected that finasteride causes more side effects than we're let to believe, and your reasoning really provides an interesting point of view. What I've always said all along is that we need a drug that inhibits DHT levels in the scalp and NOT throughout the entire body. I mean after all, when you drastically lower levels of a major male hormone in the body, there's bound to be more than 3% of people experiencing side effects; I think that's just common sense. I really wonder why alternatives to oral finasteride haven't come out. Like maybe a version of finasteride that is injected into the scalp by dermatologists, or even a topical version of finasteride (a kind of finasteride cream that can be rubbed onto the scalp). Or maybe even a type of injectable finasteride that can be used similar to how diabetes sufferers inject insulin into their arms. These things should really be explored. This just really goes to show that the innovation with regards to hair loss is largely pathetic.
    Well, injection wouldn't work because it would get into the bloodstream and then you would have the problem with systemic sides again.

I honestly don't know why the topicals haven't been developed for hair loss. I know some of them have issues with systemic absorption ie they get into the bloodstream even when applied topically. It may be because none of them are capable of actually growing much hair back, so the drug companies have figured they won't sell and aren't worth the enormous cost of getting them to market.

This may change now that the furore over Propecia is hotting up. I see CB-03-01 just got its IND application approved (Investigational New Drug) by the FDA, but for acne. But there is probably a good chance the acne formulation could be used successfully off-label on the scalp.

do you have some photos of your crown? possibly before and after? if not is ok only the after (now)
    I have some somewhere, on another hard drive. I'll see if I can find them. But they are not that impressive because I went straight from NW3 to NW6 so the crown itself filled in but the rest of the top of my scalp is just the same. I'd say the area that regrew was about 1.5" high by 2.5" wide. But I did have nearly full regrowth in that area so that's better than nothing...

I'm sure there's some people out there trying 17 alpha propionate for their hair. Surely someone has knocked it together and given it a whirl. CB03-01 does sound very promising. While not the holy grail it would offer slightly better results than finasteride and little to no systemic absorption. I think they feel it would only be needed once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Pate View Post

I have some somewhere, on another hard drive. I'll see if I can find them. But they are not that impressive because I went straight from NW3 to NW6 so the crown itself filled in but the rest of the top of my scalp is just the same. I'd say the area that regrew was about 1.5" high by 2.5" wide. But I did have nearly full regrowth in that area so that's better than nothing...
    nice if u show me the full regow with REAL pictures i will give a try to that DRUG called finasteride. i f u can show them it will be great

thx a lot