+ Reply to Thread

Default 21 year old looking for some advice

hello all! This is my first post. I'm 21 (soon to be 22 in a month). I noticed my hair thinning i'd say when i was twenty all though im sure it was before that. I have always had fine hair so i really didnt think much into it till one day someone commented when i was at a pool that i was going bald. It hurt my ego but I blew it off. I then started to examine my hair to find out it was true. I have a recedding hair line(worse on the left side) and my hair is thinning all over the top. I took action and got on propicia 6 months ago, no idea if its working to early to tell. I also take a hair, skin, and nails vitiman, to me it makes sense to take it though who knows if it helps. I also started Niz a month ago every three days.

My dad is probbly a N4 and started balding probbly around 38. My grandpa on my moms side was "cue ball" bald but he didnt start balding till later in life. I know forsure not in his 20-30 maybe shortly after that but he had good hair up to 30.

Really im looking for two things: 1. any advice to what else i can do? besides rogain, to messey and to much of a commitment.
    I know its impossible to tell but
    2. Can anyone give me a timeline maybe or how much longer i have till i'm really thin or bald?

I understand one day i will be bald, thats a fact. I just wanna know if i gave a good chance of holding off till i'm 25, 26 maybe before i have to shave my head.
    Thanks for taking the time to read!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).JPG

Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	13977   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (2).jpg

Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	13978   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (3).jpg

Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	13979   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (4).jpg

Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	13980   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (5).jpg

Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	13981   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (6).jpg

Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	13982   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (8).jpg

Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	13983   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (7).jpg

Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	13984   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (9).JPG

Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	13985  

^ this 5 year study shows that people on fin maintain their hair count above baseline even after 5 years... a lot of people are able to maintain even longer. There is also Dutasteride which is a stronger version of finasteride. Many people upgrade to DUT once fin stops working and that buys them another couple of years...

All in all, with the current treatments you should definitely maintain until you're 26 and by then I'm sure there will be much better treatments available...

i would kill for the hair you have right now lol. You got enough to cover up your hairline and the apperance of a full head of hair. If propecia helps you maintain that, you should be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by runmore11 View Post
    Really im looking for two things:

1. any advice to what else i can do? besides rogain, to messey and to much of a commitment.
    You basically have a natural and normal adult male hair line and some thinning in your vertex. Rogaine and low level laser therapy are the only other two things you could add - and you shot Rogaine down right away. It would be a good idea to use Rogaine on your vertex (crown) at least once a day. Using Rogaine once a day is better than not using it at all.

I know its impossible to tell but

2. Can anyone give me a timeline maybe or how much longer i have till i'm really thin or bald?
    No one can answer that question.

I understand one day i will be bald, thats a fact.
    Not necessarily. You are starting treatment early. You can probably hold it off for a pretty long time. Eventually there will be cell based treatments that may immunize your hair follicles from the damaging effects of DHT. I believe that day will not be too far in the future.

2020 is there a shed when people switched from pro to dut? I was thinking maybe at the two year mark switching to it, maybe half a pill a day.

I was thinking maybe at the two year mark switching to it, maybe half a pill a day.
    It would be best to wait until you actually feel Finasteride is not working for you any more - which might not even happen.

Can't believe someone called you balding. Looks pretty good to me and with Propecia you could possibly maintain what you have for 5-10+ years.

Thanks Tracy, I will forsure give pro a few years. WashedOut it looks ALOT worse wet trust me! Although i have very thin hair naturally

I will for sure give pro a few years.
    You need to be aware that neither Propecia (Finasteride) nor Avodart (Dutasteride) actually "make" hair follicles grow hair. They "allow" hair follicles that can still grow hair to grow hair - but they do nothing to stimulate hair follicles to start growing hair. Rogaine (Minoxidil) stimulates hair follicles that can still grow hair to start growing hair again. Propecia and Rogaine do two different things. Using these two medications together improves your chances of growing hair back as well as keeping the hair you still have for a longer period of time.

Does anyone else have anything to add? Thoughts?