+ Reply to Thread

Default Taking the plunge, question about blood work and hormones

So I've decided to take the plunge and start on Propecia. I have an appointment with my GP so i can get a prescription and also so i can get a blood test. Only I don't really know what to be looking for in the blood test. From what I understand you don't wanna take the drug if you have really low DHT or really high Test, since it creates more free floating Test or something?

Can anyone fill me in on this since I'm a fairly nervous person, just deciding to give it a try has taken me months.

Quote Originally Posted by Cr779 View Post
    So I've decided to take the plunge and start on Propecia. I have an appointment with my GP so i can get a prescription and also so i can get a blood test. Only I don't really know what to be looking for in the blood test. From what I understand you don't wanna take the drug if you have really low DHT or really high Test, since it creates more free floating Test or something?

Can anyone fill me in on this since I'm a fairly nervous person, just deciding to give it a try has taken me months.
    Get a baseline Testosterone and PSA baseline test before taking Propecia.

what's the point of checking your testosterone? low testosterone, high testosterone what's the difference if there are no drugs on the market that can SAFELY upregulate it....

Quote Originally Posted by 2020 View Post
    what's the point of checking your testosterone? low testosterone, high testosterone what's the difference if there are no drugs on the market that can SAFELY upregulate it....
    Just for your own knowledge, I don't fing know. BUT
    PSA is Important.

Total Testosterone, Free Test, DHT, Estradiol, Estrogen and SHBG levels.

Ideally you will have a high test, medium free test, high DHT, low Estro and high SHBG levels.

In my wholely unscientific, Internet crazed, wild theory mind, this combination is least likely to produce the "typical" side effects of libido, erections etc.

Low estro levels will rise when 5AR is inhibited and DHT isn't created in the same quantities and free testosterone rises, however the SHBG levels being higher should bind away some of the additional test levels to aid in preventing estro from taking over.

Ok so it took forever but I got the results back on my blood work. Unfortunately it has not made my choice any easier.

I've got a low end of average testosterone at 17.5, it's still normal but it's about average for a 70 year old man. (Great boost to my already low self esteem )

My DHT was 3190 which is also still normal but on the high end. And my Estradiol was 77, also normal but still over average for a guy my age (20, almost 21)

So now I'm trying to figure out if getting on Fin will still leave me in the safe zone on all these, my DHT can probably take the hit but I can't afford to lower my test any and id prefer to have my estradiol to stay the same.

Ok so it took forever but I got the results back on my blood work. Unfortunately it has not made my choice any easier.

I've got a low end of average testosterone at 17.5, it's still normal but it's about average for a 70 year old man. (Great boost to my already low self esteem )

My DHT was 3190 which is also still normal but on the high end. And my Estradiol was 77, also normal but still over average for a guy my age (20, almost 21)

So now I'm trying to figure out if getting on Fin will still leave me in the safe zone on all these, my DHT can probably take the hit but I can't afford to lower my test any and id prefer to have my estradiol to stay the same.
    add toco-8 to your regimen. It raises testosterone AND slows down balding process.
    Not sure what to do about estradiol though...

What makes you so sure your T levels will take a hit. Maybe your testosterone will not be converted to DHT as much and end up raising your levels. As far as estradiol you could take an estrogen blocker if you're worried about it going up but I don't know enough about them to recommend it.

Your testosterone will not change. What will happen is your free testosterone will increase which will allow for an increase in E levels. By what factor? Depends on just how much 5AR conversion gets inhibited as well as whether there are any other conversions going on that are high or low.

Your numbers are tough. There has been no real study of the numbers to make a determination one way or the other ahead of time, so its a best guess scenario. I had my opinion of what I would want to see, but that doesn't mean diddly.

Its good your DHT is on the higher end of normal, but unfortunate the E is also.

If you do take the plunge, be sure to follow up with the exact same tests at least twice in the following year.

Quote Originally Posted by WashedOut View Post
    What makes you so sure your T levels will take a hit. Maybe your testosterone will not be converted to DHT as much and end up raising your levels. As far as estradiol you could take an estrogen blocker if you're worried about it going up but I don't know enough about them to recommend it.
    Sorry I should have been more specific, it's not that I'm sure my T levels will take a hit it's more that with already not the most normal level of hormones I don't know if it's wise to be taking hormone altering drugs. Like in case it did do something to my T levels also the increase in my E levels might not be nice. Or who knows maybe the free floating T will just raise my T and my E levels will still be fine it's hard to tell, I just wish things were more normal. Still trying to make up my mind about Propecia but I've been trying to do that since December. I'm thinking come summer I'm going to shave my head, tell my friends I'm balding and ask how I look with no hair. If its a positive reaction or at least one i can live with I may say no to Propecia but keep my eye out for new treatments. If I look terrible I'll take my chances with it.

Also I've heard some horror stories where guys who get sides say that when they got tested their T levels were way lower than when they started. Not scientific fact, but gives you something to consider before you hop on the drug. Especially if you're like me with already low T levels.