Unhappy Rogaine for my 12 year old?

Dr. Redmond: I had posted a question about a month ago with regards to my 12 year old daughter's hair loss, and have been in contact with your office since. I've also been reading "It's your Hormones", and realize now that a the tender age of 12, my daughter has many of the symptoms of Hormonal related hair loss.

I'm trying to bring my daughter to a Hair Loss Clinic for Women in downtown Toronto; Ive been told that they deal with hormonal issues. They've agreed to see her with a referral from an endocrinologist or a dermatologist, and those appointments are in May and June. From there, we have another three month wait to get into the clinic. Her loss has intensified in just one month, especially at the vertex. She's using Nizoral shampoo, and taking Saw Palmetto and iron supplements. I'm so desperate that I may start her on 2 % Rogaine (my husband uses 5% and claims he sheds much less).

I'm so afraid that the loss may be permanent. She's had about three periods since her first one in June '08, but her pediatrician doesn't seem concerned about this. While my husband is worried, now, I'm absolutely sick about this, and I see myself easily slipping into a depression. I'm trying to do everything I can to help her.

Would there be any harm in starting the Rogaine at this point?

Medical Advisor Geoffrey Redmond, MD, FACE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mgan View Post
    Dr. Redmond: I had posted a question about a month ago with regards to my 12 year old daughter's hair loss, and have been in contact with your office since. I've also been reading "It's your Hormones", and realize now that a the tender age of 12, my daughter has many of the symptoms of Hormonal related hair loss.

I'm trying to bring my daughter to a Hair Loss Clinic for Women in downtown Toronto; Ive been told that they deal with hormonal issues. They've agreed to see her with a referral from an endocrinologist or a dermatologist, and those appointments are in May and June. From there, we have another three month wait to get into the clinic. Her loss has intensified in just one month, especially at the vertex. She's using Nizoral shampoo, and taking Saw Palmetto and iron supplements. I'm so desperate that I may start her on 2 % Rogaine (my husband uses 5% and claims he sheds much less).

I'm so afraid that the loss may be permanent. She's had about three periods since her first one in June '08, but her pediatrician doesn't seem concerned about this. While my husband is worried, now, I'm absolutely sick about this, and I see myself easily slipping into a depression. I'm trying to do everything I can to help her.

Would there be any harm in starting the Rogaine at this point?
    I am sorry to hear that your daughter is having this problem at such a young age. I do not know anything about the "hair loss clinic" that you refer to but am skeptical of these generally. Usually they exist to sell over-priced hair care products or push hair transplants. Hair care products and vitamins do not solve the problem and hair transplants, besides being extremely expensive, often make female hair loss worse.

I usually only recommend Rogaine (minoxidil) for women as a last resort. Best would be for her to see an endocrinologist who understands the problem and can treat the hormonal cause. Unfortunately, there are not many of us who give this form of treatment.
    Geoffrey Redmond, MD
    The Hormone Help Center of New York http://www.hormonehelpny.com/
    Author, It's Your Hormones

It is not appropriate to make medical diagnoses or treatment recommendations over the internet. Replies to questions intended as general information and not as medical advice for any individual. An appropriate health care provider should be consulted for specific advice.