+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 5672 grafts with Dr Rahal

So...just over a week post op from my procedure with Dr Rahal. Despite the anxiety leading up to the morning of the procedure, all things went really well. The goal was to get 5500 grafts, and we ended up getting 5672 with the following count:

One's 991
    Two's 3387
    Three's 1294
    Total 11647 hairs

Dr Rahal went back as far as possible, and went into the sides a little to add desity knowing that I wanted the hairline as dense as possible. He did 60 grafts/cmsq in the first band followed by 50 in the next two and 45 after that I believe. I know when this grows out, I will want to address the crown and maybe tweak the hairline a little bit. He figured I had at least 8000 grafts for FUT in total and then FUE on top of that if need be.

I have to say, it was a pretty surreal experience sitting in the chair before the procedure, knowing that a strip almost 50sqcm would be taken from the back of my head, but all things considered I didn't want to go on with the depression and feeling of helplessness from my hairloss anymore. I've been lurking this forum for a while now, posting from time to time and soaking up all the information I could...so to the many of you that have shared your stories, both good and bad, you have helped tremendously in my decision to go forward with the procedure with Dr Rahal, and I thank you for that.

Right now, I'm sitting looking utterly ridiculous and I know that I will for quite some time, it's just part of the process. I'm trying to break up my HT journey into milestones so I can manage my expectations and not get overly anxious waiting for the end result. Next week I get my stitches out (WOO HOO) and can run my head under the shower for the first time in 2 weeks, really looking forward to that. I think I will trim the hair on the sides and back as well, even if the scar shows a little, it's not like I'm going to leave the house without a hat for the next couple months anyway!

After that, the dreaded shed, so the next phase will definitely be trying. All I can say is I am a fast healer and hopefully following Dr Rahal's strict post op care will speed up the growth process.

Anyway, that's it for now. To impart any words of wisdom to anyone on the fence, do your research and if you do decide to go forward expect nothing but the best for your choice of surgeon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-opIMG_2965 (5).jpg

Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	13932   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-opIMG_2965 (12).jpg

Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	13933   Click image for larger version

Name:	two days post  IMG_3070 (3).jpg

Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	13934  

Some of my favorite work that I've seen has come from Rahal. That's quite a lot of grafts and I would expect a huge cosmetic difference!
    Please keep us updated over the next year. I'm excited to see your results.

Agreed, keep us updated. I quite enjoy Rahal's work as well. Curious why you went with strip rather than FUE, though.

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    Agreed, keep us updated. I quite enjoy Rahal's work as well. Curious why you went with strip rather than FUE, though.
    Thanks, I will definitely update regularly. I went with Strip because of the large number of grafts that I needed, Dr Rahal covered 97sqcm with this procedure. To get the same yield, I would have needed two if not three FUE procedures, and as it stands I will likely be back in the chair to address the crown and enhance the hairline in the future.

Since I already have the scar, the second procedure will likely be FUT as well, and then there will be some in the bank for FUE in the future. Also, FUE at roughly $8.00/graft would not have been feasible for 5500+grafts, and Dr Rahal's scars are ridiculously thin even with larger procedures. He figured you could trim down to #2 or #3 guard.

How old are you?

Quote Originally Posted by KO1 View Post
    How old are you?
    Just turned 40 in January

With those numbers the density should be impressive. I think your scalp can kiss goodbye to seeing daylight once those grafts grow in!
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    With those numbers the density should be impressive. I think your scalp can kiss goodbye to seeing daylight once those grafts grow in!
    Let's hope!

Thought I would update, although I don't have any pics of where I'm at. I am a day over 6 weeks, and it has been a little bit strange. It seems like ages ago that I was in Dr Rahal's chair, and it has only been 6 weeks. So far I am encouraged by my progress. I have had some shock loss to the thinning hair on top, but that was to be expected. The good news is that even though I am only at 6 weeks, I can see some growth and a fair amount of pimples. Small stubbly hairs that I see in the hairline, as well as some below the surface that I can just see that will poke through soon. There are also a few that are a couple mm in length already. From everything that I have read on the forums, it isn't until 3 months where growth can be seen. I hope the rest of the hairs aren't far behind. I have been taking vitamin B complex since it promotes hair growth, maybe that is part of the reason. Scalp is still a little pinkish, but I think that will be gone in a week or so.

I do have some shock loss with the scar though, and at the tail end of the scar on the right side where everything came together, it is still a little lumpy. Not sure when that will flatten out, hopefully soon. Anyone have any experience with the shock loss on the scar and when can I expect that to grow back in???

Anyway, that's it for now. I will try to post some pics when there is more to show.

Scar shockloss occurs for the same reason as shockloss in the recipient zone, and therefore normally returns within much the same timeframe: i.e. after 3 months or so. Most of the healing is done but there are still some 'kinks' to be worked out as your scalp deals with the surgery.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com