+ Reply to Thread

Thread: what can i do

Default what can i do

could anyone advise me what i could do to stop/slow down my hair loss. i realize that there is probably not any topical solutions to restore my hair line but i would like to about anything that could help with my scalp. thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1776.jpg

Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	13891  

Live, damnit! Live!

But seriously; propecia (finasteride), rogaine (minoxidil), and nizoral shampoo. Dubbed 'the Big 3'.

Propecia has the potential for sexually related side effects, research them. Make informed decisions.

Buzz cut might look good on you, though.

Cheers.

thanks bud...i'm new to these forums so i'm not real sure what i'm doing lol. it didn't use to bother me but i recently acutally "buzz cut " my hair (pictured) and didn't realize how bad it was till i took this pic w/ my phone. i normally kept my hair about 2 inches long on top so it covered a little better but i was still very thin hair.
    do i use the "big 3" all togther or what? i know that the nizoral is a shampoo so how often do i use it...daily? and the other 2 how oftern and together? how long before people see results? and are the results perm or is this something that i will have to do for the rest of my life if i want to continue to have hair. thanks so much for the reply!!!

Quote Originally Posted by highonlife510 View Post
    thanks bud...i'm new to these forums so i'm not real sure what i'm doing lol. it didn't use to bother me but i recently acutally "buzz cut " my hair (pictured) and didn't realize how bad it was till i took this pic w/ my phone. i normally kept my hair about 2 inches long on top so it covered a little better but i was still very thin hair.
    do i use the "big 3" all togther or what? i know that the nizoral is a shampoo so how often do i use it...daily? and the other 2 how oftern and together? how long before people see results? and are the results perm or is this something that i will have to do for the rest of my life if i want to continue to have hair. thanks so much for the reply!!!
    Yes, these three treatment options work in combination to treat hereditary (male pattern) hair loss. They are not perfect, but they are all there is currently. Research before committing to anything.

Propecia is a 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor, it works to halt any further hair loss. There are potential sexual side effects. Research these well.

Minoxidil works to grow new hair. It’s not terribly efficient, but it’s all there is at the moment.

Nizoral works to block DHT (dihydrotestosterone, an androgen or male sex hormone which causes hair loss) at the scalp. This should only be used once or twice weekly, depending on percentage (1% or 2%).

Propecia and Rogaine are treatments which you will need to use everyday; consistently and continually. If you were to stop using them after seeing regrowth, you would lose whatever hair you've gained and return to whatever stage of hair loss you have naturally progressed to.

Regarding the buzz, maybe try even shorter! Such as a #1 or #2 guard, you might just love it. Maybe not, but worth a try.

No worries mate, just trying to help. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by highonlife510 View Post
    could anyone advise me what i could do to stop/slow down my hair loss.
    Hello highonlife510,

Start here:

http://www.americanhairloss.org/

Book an appointment with a dermatologist who specializes in treating hair loss. Here is a link to help you find one.

http://www.iahrs.org/hair-transplant/

You need to talk to a doctor to determine if Propecia is right for you. For now, go out and get some Rogaine foam and Nizoral A-D shampoo.

Use Nizoral A-D shampoo once per week in place of your regular shampoo.

Start your Rogaine treatment small and work up. For the first two or three weeks, use it once a day every other day a couple of hours before bedtime. After those first two or three weeks use it every day a couple of hours before bedtime. After two or three weeks of that, start using it twice a day every other day and once a day every other day. Then after two or three weeks of that, start using it twice a day as directed. If you find that you no longer want to use Rogaine, taper off the medicine the opposite way you tapered on the medicine.

Consider giving the laser comb a try.

thanks so much to the both of you for the info...i'm certainlly going to look into it now. i'm not however going to use the propecia after reading about the side affects....way to risky to me.

I'm reluctant to write this for the second time today, because some people on this forum probably feel I'm too pro-finasteride (and I can understand their perspective). But I feel you should know that if you want to stop the progression of male-pattern hair loss, you can't do it without suppressing DHT, which means taking either finasteride or dutasteride (finasteride would be the safer choice to start with).

Topicals like minoxidil and ketoconazole can provide short-term cosmetic benefits, but without addressing the cause of genetic balding (DHT miniaturizing your follicles), the benefits will eventually reverse, and you will continue losing hair.
    It's unfortunate but that's the way it is right now. Hopefully in the next 3-5 years we'll have better treatment options, but I wouldn't plan around those until they are definitely coming to market.

My best advice is to research your options thoroughly and always note the source of information (including me and anyone else on forums). Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    I'm reluctant to write this for the second time today, because some people on this forum probably feel I'm too pro-finasteride (and I can understand their perspective). But I feel you should know that if you want to stop the progression of male-pattern hair loss, you can't do it without suppressing DHT, which means taking either finasteride or dutasteride (finasteride would be the safer choice to start with).

Topicals like minoxidil and ketoconazole can provide short-term cosmetic benefits, but without addressing the cause of genetic balding (DHT miniaturizing your follicles), the benefits will eventually reverse, and you will continue losing hair.
    It's unfortunate but that's the way it is right now. Hopefully in the next 3-5 years we'll have better treatment options, but I wouldn't plan around those until they are definitely coming to market.

My best advice is to research your options thoroughly and always note the source of information (including me and anyone else on forums). Good luck!
    What's wrong with being pro finasteride. I'm pro finasteride. It works. As long a people know about the potential for side effects then there is nothing wrong with letting them know your thoughts about taking it.