+ Reply to Thread

Default scabby red scalp

NO PICS TODAY. NO QUESTIONS REGARDING MY PARANOIA, JUST A QUESTION ABOUT MY SCABBY HEAD.

my scalp is bright red. i'm fair, so it could be that it's sunburned slightly as well, but i'm in england and there's no sun. anyway, towards my crown and the back of my head it's scabby. sometimes if i scratch my head i accidentally pull of a yellowish scab. my head also get's very itchy when it's hot, and sometimes it just feels uncomfortable. i've been the docs about it and she gave me ketopine (niz?), and it didn't do anything. she then gave me some coconut moisturiser crap, and that did nothing. i used polytar for a bit, and went back the docs and she said it looked better, but it was still scabby. i'm back trying niz (branded) and as of yet nothing has happened. it hasn't been diagnosed either, at least, my gp hasn't told me what it is.

anyone got any ideas what it might be and what shampoo's or whatever i should use to clear it?

Hey mate,

I've had a similar thing for over a year, although it doesn't sound quite as bad as yours. My scalp was red and itchy, with red spots ocassionally popping up. I think it was also increasing my hairloss.

Anyway, I went to the doc's a number of times, was prescibed anti-biotcis for possible bacterial infection. Nothing worked. I was referred to a dermatoglist (eventually) and I was diagnosed with pitysporum folliculitis. You could have the same. It's a fungal infection. I've been clearing it over the last few weeks with an anti-fungal steriod and regular shampooing with nizoral and selsun.

Hope that helps?

Cheers.